UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Winter setup

Old 11-28-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter setup

While we don't always have that bad weather here since I have owned an S2000 I have had a set of winter wheels with Nokian tyres fitted during the colder temps.

I fitted them this weekend to my car and the car is soo much more playful and chuckable I'm considering changing my normal 17s for some 16 inch jdm bbs if I can find some etc

I can't imagine I'm the only one that thinks this, so anyone that has done something similar do you enjoy the 16 inch summer setup
Old 11-29-2015, 01:16 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Someone on here has recently gone from standard 17's to JDM 16's but I can't remember who it was, I think the reason for the change for the reduction of unspung mass.

Good luck with finding some JDM's, they are like rocking horse shit............unless you are willing to pay through the nose and get them shipped over from Japan.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:28 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Winter tyres are low grip and make the car feel a bit vague ime but i'll fit mine when the car is fixed

16s give a better ride and in theory better grip on crap surfaces
Old 11-29-2015, 01:44 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by RobinA3
Someone on here has recently gone from standard 17's to JDM 16's but I can't remember who it was, I think the reason for the change for the reduction of unspung mass.

Good luck with finding some JDM's, they are like rocking horse shit............unless you are willing to pay through the nose and get them shipped over from Japan.
It was rexxer - see here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...eels-and-tyres
He is very happy with the change.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by RobinA3' timestamp='1448792193' post='23814843

It was rexxer - see here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...eels-and-tyres
He is very happy with the change.
I believe it may have been that member that I was following on the breakfast run I still describe it as playful handling as long as your expecting it and I also have VSA, with the 17s the grip level mean it doesn't move around as much. Yeah latimer may be a touch slower but I'm not racing on track days.

I know the jdm bbs wheels are expensive but keeping it oem rather than aftermarket is my preference

Cheers for the feedback so far
Old 11-29-2015, 02:22 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey81
I believe it may have been that member that I was following on the breakfast run I still describe it as playful handling as long as your expecting it and I also have VSA, with the 17s the grip level mean it doesn't move around as much. Yeah latimer may be a touch slower but I'm not racing on track days.

I know the jdm bbs wheels are expensive but keeping it oem rather than aftermarket is my preference

It almost certainly was, and I was leading using the BBS too

It'd certainly be worth trying a set of the OEM 16s, especially as they can be had for next to nothing. They are still lighter than the 17s and you'd benefit from the additional sidewall.

unclefester used to/still has have a set of 16s just for his winter tyres.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brand new set of S001's on the rear & the hardtop for me
Old 11-29-2015, 04:24 AM

I have ap1 16s on the car as my winter set, that's what got me thinking about a set of 16s all year round

my normal alloys are the 5 spoke 17inch from 2008 (can't remember which version they are currently) I believe they sell pretty well so the cost to do it may not be that much overall
Old 11-29-2015, 10:30 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Mikey81' timestamp='1448795664' post='23814852

It almost certainly was, and I was leading using the BBS too

It'd certainly be worth trying a set of the OEM 16s, especially as they can be had for next to nothing. They are still lighter than the 17s and you'd benefit from the additional sidewall.

unclefester used to/still has have a set of 16s just for his winter tyres.
Still have them, still have the winter tyres on them and IF i was using the car over winter, i'd put them on - you can forgive the spongebob handling for the grip they give. Personally, i preferred the ride on the 16s, i don't drive hard enough to notice the extra the 17s give and for all the times you are not 'on it' the 16s give a far more compliant ride. I can only imagine a truly light set of 16s with proper summer tyres would be even better for summer use on our deteriorating roads.

You can take a fairly scabby (admittedly free) set.

And turn them quite shiny with a little elbow grease.

The main reason for fitting 16s / winter tyres is that when ( inevitably ) you spin whilst trying to be a hero, you clout the kerb with more of the sidewall and less of the rim - saving you an expensive wheel repair and possibly more suspension damage.

I thought the car sat nicely on them.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:20 AM

I picked up the alloys for £30, sadly no centre caps, bought new winter tyres which were the same as I had on my last car. If I can be bothered in summer I want to paint them a slightly darker grey. That was literally just after dropping down the jack.

I have found a few sets of the BBS for sale, just trying to work out the total costs

Quick Reply: Winter setup