S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Gauge suggestions for my purpose with S/C

Old 11-29-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge suggestions for my purpose with S/C

I was debating on where to post this and if this is the wrong section (Mods) please inform me or move it for me. My intentions for my S2K are light track use for fun, and then spirited driving on nice weather days. I was originally going to stick with N/A but I want more power. I am thinking the SOS stage one S/C kit is just right for me, should get me right around 300 Hp which I will be more than happy with.

I have never had a s/c car before, so I am having an internal struggle on what would be the most important of gauges for monitoring. I had a FD RX7 before and ran a boost, afr, oil pressuer gauges but I also had active monitoring from my Apexi Power FC controller that would show water temps and what not in live time.

I was originally considering the PLX DM-100 for simplicity and to avoid creating fail points but then figured out you need additional sensors and units for it to work as all the parameters available are not read off the ODB2.

So from those of you with experience with S/C setups, what should I consider the most important of gauges? I am thinking at a minimum the AEM AFR/Boost failsafe would be a good choice and set it up with a warning light for running too lean.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get as many gauges as you want but the problem is, where are you going to put them?

The AEM failsafe gauge should have you covered, If you're tracking the car you'll want to get oil temp/oil pressure for obvious reasons.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:03 PM

Yeah that's the thing though, I don't want a ton of gauges. I want to keep the dash as clean as possible. I am thinking 2 gauges, one mounted in the bezel, one mounted on the pillar. That is about as much as I can handle looking at. Im not running a 700 HP track monster, but the fail safe set up properly seems like a great idea. Maybe I can run it in a more hidden spot under the dash but still in view for tuning purposes (I might upgrade to the stage 2 kit which will require ems/tune)

I was thinking Oil pressure and temps, but I need to figure out a safe way to install the sensors without creating weak points in the system. I thought the sandwich plates looked like a good idea, but reading many post saying they are not the best option.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

AFR would be my #1. Boost is nice too to see if leaks sneak up on you. If you arent tapping the engine oil (my KW kit has its own oil system) oil pressure seems unnecessary. Oil temp for track use could be an option.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:48 PM

Doesn't the SOS S/C kit tap into the engine oil for lubrication purposes? That is one concern of mine for having an oil pressure sensor. I am not really sure where the optimum mounting location would be for the sensor though. Ill dig around and see if I can find the most reliable solutions. Right now I am looking at the AFR for sure, and probably an Oil pressure gauge. Still considering a 3rd gauge, I might consider 2 in the pillar and one in the dash. I just don't want more than necessary for my uses. I think Oil pressure wins out over oil temp though, at least in my mind.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:55 PM

I think that I will be going with a single gauge pod for the pillar, where I will mount a oil pressure gauge (Probably AEM????) and I will mount the AFR/Boost fail safe from AEM in the audio control panel. Anyone have a DIY link for that? I have seen plenty of photos, but no how too's....?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would agree AFR is the most important gauge.

I also have a SOS Stage 1 and that's what I have attached full-time.

I have a boost gauge, but I only hook it up occasionally; it's not even mounted. A SC car isn't going to be fluctuating much...and if it's not making its boost, you'll know without a gauge telling you.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:01 AM

SOS Stage 1 here as well. I have the PLX DM-100 with AFR and Boost/Vac sensor modules. I don't feel like I'm missing anything, but oil temp would be nice. I've simply been too lazy to get around to adding it. I track my motorcycles but if I were to track the s2000, I'd probably add the oil temp sooner rather than later.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by JawKnee
SOS Stage 1 here as well. I have the PLX DM-100 with AFR and Boost/Vac sensor modules. I don't feel like I'm missing anything, but oil temp would be nice. I've simply been too lazy to get around to adding it. I track my motorcycles but if I were to track the s2000, I'd probably add the oil temp sooner rather than later.
PLX is doing a Cyber Monday special so I just ordered up the fluid temp sensor model for $68 instead of $85.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

prospects are 25% off today

Quick Reply: Gauge suggestions for my purpose with S/C