UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Radio Upgrade

Old 11-30-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio Upgrade

Hi everyone, this is probably a question that's been posted quite a few times.

I've had my 2006 S2000 AP2 since the start of the year now, and I'm starting to consider upgrading the standard stereo next year. Which hasn't aged as well as the rest of car unfortunately.

Now first things first, whatever I go for I'd like it to work with the dash controls to the right of the steering wheel. I've grown to like using them and don't want to render them useless.

I'd like to have a DAB system if there's one out there for the S2K, Radio 1 is bad enough to strip the enamel from my teeth and at 27 I'm not quite old enough to listen to Ken Bruce on the other side. I'm growing to like 6 Music, and had a DAB system in an old car a few years ago. A USB input would be a great extra for my own tunes if possible, and/or a mini jack aux input so I can play tracks from my phone.

Is there any particular models out there that fits what I'm looking for? I'm a total noob when it comes to this sort of stuff so wouldn't attempt to fit it myself, so if anyone could advise me on that too I'd be greatful.

Cheers!
Old 11-30-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went for a pioneer mechless system with the adaptor look to retain oem controls. No cd drive so only half the depth of 'normal' head units, this meant I had loads of space behind for the larger wiring look adaptor to keep the oem dash controls.

Mine isn't dab but I'm sure you can get them, mainly use mine for iPod/usb and bt streaming from my phone/hands free calling.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:25 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Whereabouts do you live? That would help with installer recommendations.

See the FAQ for some recommendations about dash control units.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a recent thread here:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/111...#entry23557904

The harness and Dash Control Interface (DCI) you need is by Modifry in the US of A. Buy their speaker spacer rings while you're at it.

And it's not an AP2. What you have bought is a Facelift.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:34 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by imc27
The harness and Dash Control Interface (DCI) you need is by Modifry in the US of A. Buy their speaker spacer rings while you're at it.

Good luck!
Other DCIs are available for a lot less money.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by imc27' timestamp='1448908212' post='23815853

Good luck!
Other DCIs are available for a lot less money.

But with the same functionality?
Old 11-30-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is an autoleads adaptor loom which works fine and cost around £15 from the same online store I bought the head unit from.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Whereabouts do you live? That would help with installer recommendations.See the FAQ for some recommendations about dash control units.
I live in Wolverhampton, UK. I'll take a look through the FAQ for that. Cheers.

There's a recent thread here:https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/111...try23557904The harness and Dash Control Interface (DCI) you need is by Modifry in the US of A. Buy their speaker spacer rings while you're at it.And it's not an AP2. What you have bought is a Facelift.Good luck!
Is it? :/ Could of sworn it was an AP2, as they stopped making the first ones with the old headlamps and smaller wheels before mine was built. Which I always thought was AP1's.

Cheers for the links, I'll take a look through that when I get home.

By the way whoever sent me a PM, I can't view it as the forum says I don't have permission. Probably due to lack of posts.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:47 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lyndon88
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1448907931' post='23815845
Whereabouts do you live? That would help with installer recommendations.See the FAQ for some recommendations about dash control units.
I live in Wolverhampton, UK. I'll take a look through the FAQ for that. Cheers.

There's a recent thread here:https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/111...try23557904The harness and Dash Control Interface (DCI) you need is by Modifry in the US of A. Buy their speaker spacer rings while you're at it.And it's not an AP2. What you have bought is a Facelift.Good luck!
Is it? :/ Could of sworn it was an AP2, as they stopped making the first ones with the old headlamps and smaller wheels before mine was built. Which I always thought was AP1's.

Cheers for the links, I'll take a look through that when I get home.

By the way whoever sent me a PM, I can't view it as the forum says I don't have permission. Probably due to lack of posts.
We in the UK never had a AP2, check your chassis plate. As said what you have is a faclift so correct new lights bumpers etc but still with the F20 rather than the AP2 F22
Old 12-02-2015, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have an AP2 in all bar the engine. Too many pedants on here :-D

Quick Reply: Radio Upgrade