S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New S2000 Rendering & Info from Autocar

Old 12-06-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New S2000 Rendering & Info from Autocar

Probably best taken with a grain of salt but at least the renderings are well done.

Honda is taking aim at the Mazda MX-5 and Fiat’s forthcoming 124 Spider by developing a successor to its popular S2000 roadster, company insiders have revealed.
Article

Old 12-06-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant stand the type r wing but like the car otherwise. Just looks like an evo wing chopped down some and the car isn't big enough to pull that off. Maybe with a hard top or something not sure. Mirrors are also giant and look out of place.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

sign me up. I like it. Alot. maybe even enough to buy one- if they keep the price to about $52,000 canadian (for reference the new Miata is $41,000 north of the 49th).

The article talks about "cars it has to beat". My opinion it doesn't have to beat any of them, especially if its going to follow the same formula as the original. The car just has to appeal to the same people who bought the original- and continue to buy them used. Anything else will muddy the experience. Its a formula we know well since we worship at the altar of Honda.

People are fat and they just won't fit into an s2000. people want luxury and a quiet ride- the S does not have that and thank goodness it doesn't. If they are referencing number of units sold, then i don't see the new s2000 beating them, just like the original- stellar to drive, own, and maintain- but again, its a luxury to own a convertible. And most buyers want a car that has "luxurious" appointments. The miata/fiat twins will win on price alone- but not on sex appeal.

The BMW z4 is just too fancy and over done with luxury- and that's fine for the owner that aspires to the badge and nothing else. mind you, the current Z4 is a pretty thing to behold.

The Nissan is just too bloated- mind you it does have pretty flanks from the driver's seat and has the torque to make it feel fast. But again, its a convertible for drivers who want a more sedan-like ride ie. easy to get in and out of with luxury appointments like standard satnav, bluetooth, heated seats, and an automatic transmission option.

The Miata is near enough to the experience of the s2000 at 80% volume. Its light, and pretty bare bones- except for that stupid centre screen. the Miata can be made more "luxurious" in upper models with that aformentioned automatic.

You see, Honda did the s2000 right, right out of the box the first time. They offered no real luxurious options or trim levels (CR notwithstanding). Its like Honda said, "yup, if you're fat- too bad. If you're over 6 foot 2- too bad. If you want real sun visors- too bad. If you want luxury for your $52,000 Canadian ($32,000 USD)- too bad. If you don't know how to drive without oversteering backwards off the road and dying- too bad. If you think we care about what you think- too bad. we're Honda, and we know what the F we're doing when it comes to building a screaming 4 cylinder rocket (although we have no clue how to make a durable convertible top). we build a durable powerplant that will rev till your ears bleed. Too bad if you want torque you north american pansies, 'cause we're Honda, and we're not going to change it for you...ok, since you're our biggest market we'll dumb it down for you, but you still won't fit in those seats...hahahaha!"

If they really follow the same formula as before (AP1, AP2), then it won't beat any of those other cars mentioned.

And you know what, i hope they don't.

now, Honda, grab a pair and develop it properly and the real drivers will line up.

darcy
Old 12-07-2015, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a hoax. Photoshopped NSX front?
It would be nice to see a new S if it's real though

Also, it wouldn't be a S2000 if it has a 1.5 engine
Old 12-07-2015, 02:52 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

3300 lbs and 250hp.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad I just bought my '05 AP2 - it will be another decade or more before I could afford what they'll be charging for the 3rd Gen (AP3?)

Nice to see it coming back around, though...
Old 12-07-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Oh look, another New S2000 thread.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:39 AM

Love the lines of the front/side view which to my eye pays tribute to its S2K heritage. Not a big fan of the upper half of the rear view though which seems awkwardly finished...nor the mirrors. Hopefully, Honda management will eventually get off of their collective rears and bring to market an affordable sports car. OP, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

garbage. Offering a watered down version, just to make a "Type R" variant? no thanks. Thats not how the original s2000 was built up on. It was sold as a no compromise sports car. If this new one happens, they will be offering a compromise to the car. Honda has gone to shit in recent years. After they killed the RSX, Integra, NSX and S2000, they have lost their fun factor.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:11 AM

We can only hope that Honda management gets off their collective rears to start producing an affordable sports car. I guess we will know in the fullness of time. Even though it is just a rendering I do like the overall lines, except for the rear.

Quick Reply: New S2000 Rendering & Info from Autocar