Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars........

Was like a revamped A New Hope. Makes the Prequels look even worse now. JJ knew what's up and did Star Wars justice. Who needs George Lucas!
Old 12-21-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lost all interest aftering seeing the basement dwellers having it sold out for the next month at my favorite theater. They sell reserved seating and you are completely protected from seat kicking, smacking, texters and other forms of trash.

Maybe once on DVD I may lulz...
Old 12-21-2015, 02:53 PM

this is a must see in theaters. man up and go watch it!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I just saw Episode VII - non 3D- with the family this afternoon. I have always been a massive SciFi fan- original star wars (Ep. 4-6) was always a favourite. Monday afternoon- is, by the way- a great time to go to the movies. But I digress.

This was a completely enjoyable movie- I plan to see it again in a few weeks. The special effects were up to par- finally- after the horrid presentation in Ep. 1-3. Its not as childish as the those forgetable pieces.

The Force Awakens brings back the feel and depth of the original. There are lots of references to the original- with a few return characters you will be glad to see. As TougeMaster said- "its a revamped New Hope"- and I agree completely. It is a big screen movie carefully managed by the director and owners of the franchise.

Now, the fly in the ointment- the hype is just that. While The Force Awakens is very good, you don't need to stop your life just to see it. It will not, nor should it, win an Oscar. There are better movies out there in the scifi Genre- Ex Machina, Interstellar, Aliens, amongst many others.

I give it an 8.5/10. Maybe a reluctanct 9/10.

EDIT- saw it last night in 3D- it did not add anything to the movie in the least. Do not waste your money on the 3D version.

darcy
Old 12-22-2015, 07:49 AM

really the only complaint I can see is that it is very close to ep 4. other than that, the actors were top notch, their interactions were awesome. The returning actors did great. BB-8 is now my favorite droid. Kylo Ren is a badass new villain.

the movie moved at a great pace. there was never a boring moment. can't wait 2 more years for ep 8....
Old 12-26-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The movie was so good!
I'll likely go see it again
Old 02-01-2016, 02:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i finally got in to see it, theater 3/4 full, sat afternoon, no 3d.
this film is all of the elements of the first three films that you loved. Everyone important and every scene you loved is there in some way that you wanted to see. Tons of star wars references for the fan. there is a real story, not unlike the original one, it's just later and all the principals aged well enough.

All the money is right up there on the screen. Some of the props and high tech gizmos have been slightly update. there is a new cast of relative unknowns to enjoy . there are a few surprises//// no spoilers please.

i quit seeing this franchise after #3...with number 4: as when JAJAR was conceived i was totally turned off, this one is well worth seeing if there is anything you loved about the original, well thought out, well direct, a slightly long film at over 2 hours but you enjoy it, or at least I did.
Can't say i could offer critique, so it gets the rare 10 our of 10 from me.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:14 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

I enjoyed the movie. I liked the effects and it was a good movie. Worth the price of admission.

However, how about a new plot please. Story line not close to "A New Hope", identical, updated with new characters and a new death star entity.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:42 PM

I feel like they made the story so similar to A New Hope 1/2 as an homage and 1/2 as to humorously update and create a new trilogy for the 21st century. This movie is trying to hook a new generation into the Star Wars lore, so i'm sure they took a bit of a safe route.

Also, they wanted to make fans of the old trilogy happy, so this was a surefire way to garner nostalgia.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure the entire new trilogy won't continue along the same old story path. I'm excited to see the backstory with Luke and the jedi training academy and also, se him be badass and train Rei.