S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Best route for race car

Old 01-23-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best route for race car

Hey everyone. I think this is the right place to be asking this, although maybe the motorsports forum would have been a better choice. Anyway, here goes.

I'm building a 100% track S2000 out of a write off (JDM MY00). This car will see action primarily on local dirt and pavement ovals in W2W racing, never to see highway again. As such, I'd like to delete all my emissions equipment (EGR, air pump, evap, etc) for simplicity and weight reduction. What I'm worried about is the AP1 ECU seeing this and going into some sort of limp mode mid-race. I don't have a problem with the car having a check engine light on, as the factory dash will be gone and at most I'll have an LED wired up for CEL to read codes after every race.

Will the AP1 ECU run just fine with emissions codes, or does it go into some sort of limp mode or base map that's not optimal for performance? The car seems to run really rich, but that could just be because it's sat for a while and the old fuel just stinks.

If not, my first choice would be convert the car to AP2 status with Flashpro, although I'm not sure how Flashpro would work. I'm familiar with K-pro and how it can turn off emissions info for race only vehicles, is Flashpro the same? Can it also be configured to ignore VSA codes? The car will not have any ABS/VSA and according to our rules we need to use a factory ECU model to model. I could get away with using an ECU from a later model vehicle, so AP2 2006+ came to mind. I also would not be opposed to converting the car to DBW if needed, as I'm converting the car from RHD to LHD anyway.

Final and least wanted option would be K-pro, as it would be as easy as popping open the ECU case and seeing the K-pro chip to DQ the car, and I don't want that.

Any input from the Engine Management gurus?
Old 01-23-2016, 04:24 PM

I doubt the ECU goes into a limp mode but there are sims for air pump and evap. S doesn't have an EGR.
If you're keeping the stock ecu, I'd just keep the evap in place so you don't have to vent the tank.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:39 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Personally, given your usage, I'd just find a used AEM v2 and use that. That way you can delete whatever you want, wire in whatever you want and not have to change out any parts to make it work like you would with the Kpro.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by UberDuper
I doubt the ECU goes into a limp mode but there are sims for air pump and evap. S doesn't have an EGR.
If you're keeping the stock ecu, I'd just keep the evap in place so you don't have to vent the tank.
I'll most likely be running a fuel cell, and don't really care about where I have to vent it.

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Personally, given your usage, I'd just find a used AEM v2 and use that. That way you can delete whatever you want, wire in whatever you want and not have to change out any parts to make it work like you would with the Kpro.
Can't use an aftermarket ECU. K-pro would be a stretch, AEM would clearly be aftermarket.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:43 AM

I'd probably just get a Greddy E-manage at that point.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:36 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

The Greddy EMU would be good for tuning but you can't turn off any emission functions, it might be your best solution though.
I'm not really sure which CEL's will cause a limp mode but I suggest to try to disconnect all the sensors that you want to remove and then try to run the car.
Kpro for S2000 uses a different ecu (I think a RSX) so that would probably not be allowed?
Doing an AP2 conversion would be very expensive and involve a lot of work but I guess it's possible.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:56 AM

I'm confused where the cost of the conversion comes from. I must be missing something as to me it's buy an ecu, buy an AP2 VC with the required sensors and...wire it up? I'm guessing it's not quite so simple. Keeping in mind I won't be running VSA or ABS of any kind.

I guess I'll just leave it alone for now, maybe look into the air pump and evap bypass kits, and hope for the best.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First of all its not "ap2" conversion that you need to do for flashpro

You need a 2006+ drive by wire conversion. Cam and crank sensors/trigger wheels. Valve cover. Coil packs. Intake manifold including fuel injectors. throttle body including throttle cable. Engine wiring harness. VSA sensors. Conversion from return fuel system to returnless. Etc etc etc
Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 AM

Eh... https://www.hondata.com/kpro-s2000
Old 01-26-2016, 10:47 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

What are you Eh'ing about yamaha
If he needs to use factory ECU model to model, kpro wouldn't be legal?

Quick Reply: Best route for race car