S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Skunk2 intake manifold

Old 04-08-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=b.r.i.a.n.;24443768]I would not rule out the skunk2 intake manifold altogether. You have a ported head and cams. The intake manifold should compliment those two well. I would test a stock skunk2 intake manifold. From prior experience, I've had some ported intake manifolds work while others perform worse than an unported intake manifold.

The whole thing is ported. From plenum to runners. Sourcing another s2 manifold would be difficult and cost too much. The casting from an unmolested manifold is sub par. Like dry wall texture bad. Ok maybe I am exaggerating, but I can’t see getting back the power with another s2. How would that be if it? When I compare the runner sizes it’s night and day. I wish it was easy to swap manifolds like it is on a b series....one day I am just going to get into it and have it done in a night. My ballade 70mm (whoever makes it) worked like oe. Never had sticking issues until the 80mm.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=AP2SSM;24443785]
Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
I would not rule out the skunk2 intake manifold altogether. You have a ported head and cams. The intake manifold should compliment those two well. I would test a stock skunk2 intake manifold. From prior experience, I've had some ported intake manifolds work while others perform worse than an unported intake manifold.

The whole thing is ported. From plenum to runners. Sourcing another s2 manifold would be difficult and cost too much. The casting from an unmolested manifold is sub par. Like dry wall texture bad. Ok maybe I am exaggerating, but I can’t see getting back the power with another s2. How would that be if it? When I compare the runner sizes it’s night and day. I wish it was easy to swap manifolds like it is on a b series....one day I am just going to get into it and have it done in a night. My ballade 70mm (whoever makes it) worked like oe. Never had sticking issues until the 80mm.
The ballade throttle body is an oem throttle body that is bored out. Aftermarket throttle bodies are the ones that stick.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

[left][QUOTE=b.r.i.a.n.;24443787]
Originally Posted by AP2SSM

The ballade throttle body is an oem throttle body that is bored out. Aftermarket throttle bodies are the ones that stick.

oh hahah no wonder why it worked so good. I had no idea.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
I would not rule out the skunk2 intake manifold altogether. You have a ported head and cams. The intake manifold should compliment those two well. I would test a stock skunk2 intake manifold. From prior experience, I've had some ported intake manifolds work while others perform worse than an unported intake manifold.

As far as the throttle body goes, I'm convinced that all aftermarket cable throttle bodies stick. I'm running a skunk2 74mm pro series throttle body on my car. It sticks. I disassembled the blade and shave down parts of the throttle body in a effort to get the blade to close correctly. I was able to shave it down and get the throttle body to idle like stock at 850 rpm. It sticks from time to time but it's not as bad as it was new out of the box.
AP2SSM I have a skunk2 74mm pro TB I'd sell for cheap if you're interested. I also have a stock IM ported to match it (hacked slightly into the lower air passage but I fixed it up). Anyway, I'd sell both for $100 + shipping. No pressure obviously, just figured I'd mention in case you wanted to go that route.

[QUOTE=b.r.i.a.n.;24443787]
Originally Posted by AP2SSM
[left]
No, SoS is the company that enlarges the stock s2000 TB. Ballade ports the stock IM opening larger.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

The SOS 70mm TB is the way to go if you want a OE reliable improvement in performance. It is a well done modded OEM TB. I port matched my own stock manifold opening. Can do that with it installed, just to make sure the larger TB is getting full benefit. I never got into porting/polishing the runners. Seems like more work then I want to get into for minimal potential gains.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I cant imagine the mani would cause you to lose 50 WHP...thats crazy lol
I hope you get it figured out ASAP.

Even this smaller motor didn't lose as much WHP and they added a spacer....

Keep us updated!