Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Quite possibly moving to Seattle. Need help on housing options

Old 01-29-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quite possibly moving to Seattle. Need help on housing options

Not definite, but possible that I'll be moving to the Seattle area soon, working in downtown Bellevue. I'm being proactive and figuring out housing options so that I can make sure the S2000 sits safe in while its parked. I've read posts here on vandalism and that's scaring me. For those that are situated around this area and working in Seattle, can you guys help me decide what area I could rent an apartment to have a comfortable commute and a safe parking for the S2000.

I'm pretty flexible on my budget right now and will get specific on it in further discussions. I can stretch maximum up-to downtown Bellevue rates for a 1 bed apartment.

For whatever it's worth, I'm single and open to a roommate arrangement. My S has a soft-top and would not like to have a hardtop.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM

You probably want to look on the east side because of the toll bridge and the long commute. I'd look in South Kirkland or near downtown Kirkland if I was you. There's always putting it in storage as well. Housing that's good in this area is cut throat, have the money up front and be willing to sign and pay right then and there when you find what you want. Don't be so picky for your first place. I usually suggest to first timers moving here to just get something that meets your top 2 needs and then get settled and live and explore for a year before really finding the perfect spot, good luck.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:16 PM

You can always move to Vancouver. I feel safe parking my s2k on the street in about 80% of Greater Vancouver. (there will always be rough neighborhoods anywhere you live)

Then you can tear up the roads in your S every day when you go to work
Old 01-29-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoah you're the dude that posts in the AZ forum too right? I moved up here almost 2 years ago from Chandler, so I can help you for sure.

Do you have a daily or will you be driving the S 100% of the time? The 405 traffic is really bad, like worse than the 101 North to Scottsdale traffic, and it's only getting worse. Like was said above, you should really find a place that's close to work, and get used to the area and figure out where your lifestyle needs are. I lived here about 6 months before buying a place, but I was pretty specific in my needs of having a 2 car garage, new construction, in the city, and no bridge crossings to keep a 20 minute max commute (literally one neighborhood fit the bill).

If you do daily the car, two sets of tires are a good idea, it does get wet and cold enough to be out of range for extreme summer tires unlike Phoenix.

You'll be fine if you find a place with a garage, private single/double garages even better. Also, the same thing is happening here that is happening with the AZ group, all the kids are on Facebook.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleFilm85
You probably want to look on the east side because of the toll bridge and the long commute. I'd look in South Kirkland or near downtown Kirkland if I was you. There's always putting it in storage as well. Housing that's good in this area is cut throat, have the money up front and be willing to sign and pay right then and there when you find what you want. Don't be so picky for your first place. I usually suggest to first timers moving here to just get something that meets your top 2 needs and then get settled and live and explore for a year before really finding the perfect spot, good luck.

I agree. There are lots of places where you can rent in Kirkland or Bellevue that have garages and keep your commute short if you drive your S2K to work.

I got really lucky in Everett last year. I did 1 year with a car port. No issues whatsoever where I lived. It was not bad, but a garage is waaay better and safer. Many places you find you will have to pay extra for the garage but its worth it having one IMO. Be aware some places are overpriced, so make sure to get quotes from as many places as you can, visit the neighborhoods if possible, and use the lower quotes when you negotiate. I moved to where the garage is not extra so that was the selling point for me. Its shared, but my neighbor is real cool so we look out for each other's cars.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by sse2k
Whoah you're the dude that posts in the AZ forum too right? I moved up here almost 2 years ago from Chandler, so I can help you for sure.

Do you have a daily or will you be driving the S 100% of the time? The 405 traffic is really bad, like worse than the 101 North to Scottsdale traffic, and it's only getting worse. Like was said above, you should really find a place that's close to work, and get used to the area and figure out where your lifestyle needs are. I lived here about 6 months before buying a place, but I was pretty specific in my needs of having a 2 car garage, new construction, in the city, and no bridge crossings to keep a 20 minute max commute (literally one neighborhood fit the bill).

If you do daily the car, two sets of tires are a good idea, it does get wet and cold enough to be out of range for extreme summer tires unlike Phoenix.

You'll be fine if you find a place with a garage, private single/double garages even better. Also, the same thing is happening here that is happening with the AZ group, all the kids are on Facebook.
Yes Sean! I was expecting a reply from you. Nobody from the AZ group knows I might be moving so shhhhh.... I was speaking to Sandeep over Christmas about a possibility of me moving out to Seattle or SF, he mentioned about you moving from AZ to Seattle.

Currently I am considering getting an apartment in downtown Bellevue with a parking and just walk to work daily. There are quite a few ones around 1500$/month but seriously I'd be glad if I could find something for like 1000$. Maybe a 2 bedroom house 20 mins south of downtown with a garage that I can share with 1 more person. I have the luxury of owning two cars here in AZ but if I move, I can't take both so the S stays and the beater accord goes. Unfortunately I will have to daily the S.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

$1500 is pretty cheap around the East side/Bellevue for a apartment/condo with a garage. I think you will be hard pressed to find anything remotely close to a commute in the Puget sound for $1000 month with with any kind of security for your S2000. Maybe a carport, and at a questionable apartment complex down south of Renton or up north in Everett. A average size house for rent with a garage in Kirkland/Juanita where I live will cost $2000-$2500 a month average. Downtown Kirkland you can add another $500-$1000 to that if you can even find one. Its going to be similar in Bellevue. The software transplants/industry boom in the last 10 years has really driven prices up here. Its still cheaper then living in San Fran, but I wonder in 5 more years. People with money keep moving here and buying places because they can get the same job positions here for similar money but cost of living is a lot less, but its driving up prices on the housing and rent market. 180,000 people moved to the Puget sound just last year. Its getting a little out of hand around here
Old 01-30-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Parth
Originally Posted by sse2k' timestamp='1454113876' post='23866323

Yes Sean! I was expecting a reply from you. Nobody from the AZ group knows I might be moving so shhhhh.... I was speaking to Sandeep over Christmas about a possibility of me moving out to Seattle or SF, he mentioned about you moving from AZ to Seattle.

Currently I am considering getting an apartment in downtown Bellevue with a parking and just walk to work daily. There are quite a few ones around 1500$/month but seriously I'd be glad if I could find something for like 1000$. Maybe a 2 bedroom house 20 mins south of downtown with a garage that I can share with 1 more person. I have the luxury of owning two cars here in AZ but if I move, I can't take both so the S stays and the beater accord goes. Unfortunately I will have to daily the S.
Well I had a really long nicely typed out response but lost it when I went to submit it.

Are we connected on FB? There's a lot I can share with you specific to the move from AZ if you like.

Do you know yet if you would be driving the car up here or sending it by transporter? If the latter, I can help you out with that. Enclosed transporters are the way to go so you don't have to worry about the car being delivered in bad shape, or picking up any rock chips along the way. My car had a good trip riding along with a 911 Turbo and Ferrari 458.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that public transit here is something else to consider in where you live. Light rail doesn't go to the Eastside yet, but there are a number of direct commuter buses that go from the downtown core to DT Bellevue frequently. The best advice I can give is pick a place where you're comfortable, and sort out the commute stuff. If you have a chance to take a househunting trip I would recommend that to spend a couple days in the usual grind of life and commuting, and look at different neighborhoods etc.