UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Another ****ing coilover thread.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another ****ing coilover thread.

I'm going to upgrade my coilovers from BC's to one of the premium brands. I've read several of the most recent threads and come to the conclusion that KW V2's would suit me best - I want adjustable damping but I reckon those with separate rebound and compression might be too much of a faff to get right and have me constantly fiddling and fettling.

Anyway, the adjusters on the BC's alter rebound and compression at the same time, which does mean that I've ended up with them a bit stiffer than I would ideally want in order to get the rebound as I want it. The adjustment on the V2's only changes the rebound, but at the risk of showing my deep ignorance to chassis dynamics, surely increasing the rebound rate would have the effect of making the suspension feel stiffer anyway, wouldn't it? Not as much as the the compression adjustment of course, but if it's pushing back more strongly, surely it will feel stiffer?

Am I right, or talking like a proper bell end?

Rebound damping was the reason I dumped the OEM kit in the first place, so the V2's tick that box. Better compliance is the reason for the change this time (for the BC haters out there, they're really not bad at all, but I expect that the KW's will have them beat). I do like the car to feel quite stiff and I can't imagine the V2's will be sloppy, even without compression adjustment, but will I be able to dial in/out a bit of rigidity, or should I bite the bullet and get something with both adjustments (V3's, Ohlins, Billies etc.)?

Any advice and opinions welcome..........
Old 02-04-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only know about motorbike shocks but I'm sure it's the same mechanics,if you alter the rebound it's the speed in which it works and doesn't alter the stiffness.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest trying to arrange a ride out in an S2000 with the options you're considering fitted and seeing if they suit what you want.

Having separate compression and rebound damping adjustment can be useful, but there are some big caveats.
Firstly, it is not trivial to know what to do - sometimes the right adjustment is counter intuitive. Trying all the options by brute force would take a while...
Secondly, you don't tend to find good separate adjustment options on cheaper dampers. By the time you're in the cost bracket for it to be useful the basic valving is usually aiming for track use / clubman competition, more than road comfort.

As far as KW goes, I'd suggest trying the V3 over the V2. You're far more likely to find what you're looking for in the V3. But see my first comment - try it.

-Brian.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 AM

Thanks.....

Just read some more and educated myself a tiny bit on the difference between bump and rebound. It actually made me think V2's are the ones for me, but for the sake of a few quid more, it feels like a bit of a risk.

That said, the risk with the V3's is, as you say Turtle, never quite getting it how I want it, given the amount of adjustment available.

I didn't mention that I don't use the car on track, although it is thrashed mercilessly on B roads.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPerkles
I only know about motorbike shocks but I'm sure it's the same mechanics,if you alter the rebound it's the speed in which it works and doesn't alter the stiffness.
Likewise, mountain bike shocks. Single bump performance won't be affected much, but it will affect multiple bump performance, or dropping into potholes etc. I assume it'll affect roll/pitch too, as it won't unweight the unloaded end/side as quickly.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Rebound has a lot of effect on ride quality, especially if you start dropping the chassis into holes instead of letting the spring do the work.

Bumps go down as well as up.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do not be afraid of too much versatility just be smart

Here is how to adjust:

https://robrobinette.com/S2000KWV3Tuning.htm

Here is how they work:

https://robrobinette.com/S2000KWV3.htm
Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
That said, the risk with the V3's is, as you say Turtle, never quite getting it how I want it, given the amount of adjustment available.
You'd be surprised as to how easy it is to find the right set up with the V3's. You really don't need to mess around that much and the ride quality & the way they transform the handling of the car combined with having your geo set up right at the same time is outstanding

I was very sceptical before splashing the cash but as they say 'you get what you pay for' and these are definitely top notch
Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 PM

Mehhh meehhhh do a search, jesus meh meh meh. thread closed.

Make sure they are robust.....

Turbo cough turbo cough
Old 02-04-2016, 01:34 PM

Thanks folks, except Fifth of course. He's a tit.

I know it's not a good comparison, but I've never struggled to set up the car with the BC's using trial and error - it's easy to feel what needs to be tweaked, so I'm sure I'd manage with the V3's too.

The KW website explains a little bit about using the bump adjustment to alter pitch etc. I do like the idea of that.........

Quick Reply: Another ****ing coilover thread.