UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Front brake discs, How low dare you go?

Old 02-05-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front brake discs, How low dare you go?

Ok, so i have booked my first track day for sunday, and just checked my front discs, i know the recommended service limit is 23mm, my discs are 23.086mm.

Question is, do you think i will be ok doing a trackday on these front discs? other than them being low thickness, they do not have any problems etc with it being my first track day and it being quite cold i dont expect to be pushing anywhere near as hard as some of you.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:16 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

You have an increased risk of cracking them, so keep an eye on that, otherwise you should be ok.

You can get them changed easily enough tomorrow if you wish.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You've got .086mm to wear off and you need to change them thereafter. So if they warp/cementate by the end of the track day, you'll have lost nothing.

Check the thickness of the rear pads - >50% worn and they can die on a track day too.

But it's better to kill off the old stuff than to give fresh stuff a baptism of fire!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you don't hang on the brakes and get them too hot you should be alright. As LG said, the only risk is possibly cracking a disc if you do get them a bit hot. As long as you're consistent with brake application and don't hold them on for any longer than you need you'll be fine, i'm sure. be sure to do a full cool down lap with minimal braking if you can, it gives them a bit of an easier life. and no handbrakes being applied in the pits please

Above all, Have a great time!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:31 AM

Rears should be fine, i changed the pads at last mot, so around 6 months ago and maybe 3-4k street driving, i dont intend going crazy and will make sure i cool them down, should be a good day, also got the girlfriend on as a named driver so she will be having a blast scaring the crap out of me
Old 02-05-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was on track I'd want the best brakes I could have - I wouldn't want to worry about them cracking up or failing in any way. Ponder that as you brake for that hairpin....
Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where's the track day? You're unlikely to trouble the brakes too much on a first track day but it does depend on the track. It also looks like it might be wet this weekend, if it is you won't trouble the brakes at all.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tim S
Where's the track day? You're unlikely to trouble the brakes too much on a first track day but it does depend on the track. It also looks like it might be wet this weekend, if it is you won't trouble the brakes at all.
Its at blyton park, weather forecast last time i checked was just cloud so will have to see, it probably will change by sunday
Old 02-05-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Blyton is very heavy on brakes, I'd change them.

I have done Blyton a few times and each time the brakes got hammered!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Brake failure at speed normally ends up messy.

You wouldnt of asked the question if you felt 100% comfortable with them so if i was you i would go with your gut feeling and get them changed. You can buy brake discs for peanuts at motorfactors and its no hardship to fit them. If you keep with them during the trackday then you will be constantly worrying about them during the day.

Im speaking from experience of doing loads of trackdays and getting complacent with my brake pads. I thought no need to take them off and inspect before the day they look fine. I got to the track and done a quick walkaround and noticed a chunk of pad material was loose and i had to rush around trying to get them changed with a crap car jack. It meant i ran the day with shit rear pads and never felt 100% about how the brakes felt.

My brother experience brake failure at 90mph when his brake hose burst and he was lucky that there was plenty of run off. If you do that at a narrow track then your having a big accident. You only need a disc failure and your pedal will be next to useless even if the other brakes work.

Get them changed just for peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Front brake discs, How low dare you go?