Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Traffic Violation

Old 02-22-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Traffic Violation

Heading to soccer last night around 6:30, pulled over at the end of I5 off ramp at Water and Yamhill. Apparently the right lane is right turn only but judging by the cross flow one would think it would be straight. (I won't get in to how this is during the red door meet and I am in a stock white Subaru Forester)

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5157...22.6664344,18z

Anyway, was cited for 811.265 - $260

I was able to have front plate ticket dismissed but I am not sure I have to strong of an argument here - has anyone successfully had this ticket reduced or changed to a non-moving violation? I am more worried about the impact on insurance as this the same ORS as running a redlight
Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't had that type of ticket so I can't comment specifically, but it sounds like you already know you're pretty cornered on this one.

If insurance is the primary concern, you're better off just hiring a traffic lawyer to let him get you the lowest possible outcome.

Can you not take a deferral?

If you want to fight it yourself, you would probably be best to plead No Contest (not specifically admitting guilt and explain your side) and you could try to go to the intersection, take photos showing how the flow through is a bit wonky and explain that you weren't familiar with the traffic flow of that specific offramp and that you did not realize that you were in a right-turn only. It was an honest mistake and you request leniency from the judge.
I know that in my area, judges won't reduce a No Contest plea by any more than 25% and they leave it as the original charge.

If your driving record is fairly clean, you could call that out as you normally being a conscientious and safe driver and you are concerned about your insurance rates and question that due to the situation if there is any kind of plea bargain available. You could attempt to offer to pay the fine in full if it would be bargained to a lesser charge.

As much of a pain as it is, that type of situation is often best done face to face in the court rather than through letters.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2016, 09:27 AM

Thanks mate - only worry is that if I elect trial that the officer won't be open to reducing (given the circumstances the ticket was issued) and then I am out more
Old 02-22-2016, 10:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Court there may be different than here.
When I've done traffic ticket stuff, the officer shows up just to argue his case (of which his word carries more weight than yours, unfortunately) but it is ultimately up to the judge to decide, not the cop.
The cop won't even be there unless you plead not guilty and try to fight the ticket.

For me, there were no additional court costs/fees. Civil citations like these are a revolving door, you typically go in for your plea hearing and there are 20 other people there doing the same thing. They call you up when it's your turn, you say your plea (guilty, no contest, not guilty). If you choose not guilty, they arrange an actual trial date where you would then argue against the cop to the judge.

In your case, you go in, plea no contest, explain the situation, provide the pics to show the intersection being confusing, and request leniency. The judge will more than likely reduce the fine and then you pay and leave.
You probably won't even be in front of a normal municipal court judge. It'll be some civil official or magistrate to just filter people through the system.

Realistically, you could just write a letter and send in the pics just as easily. You just won't have an opportunity to counter-explain any questions the judge may have, so if you write it, be thorough.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a lawyer some can find technicalities to get you off. But the cost can be more than the ticket, most are up front with what they'll charge you and chance of success. Doesn't hurt to talk to a few, consultations are usually free. Sounds like you may not have much wiggle room though.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by nv_blitz
If you get a lawyer some can find technicalities to get you off. But the cost can be more than the ticket, most are up front with what they'll charge you and chance of success. Doesn't hurt to talk to a few, consultations are usually free. Sounds like you may not have much wiggle room though.
Thanks for the input! Kind of resigned to the fact that I can't find any technicality to get me by. Was clearly marked and I was in the wrong. Hopefully I can get it lowered. Can't complain too much as insurance is only $60 a month for fully comp.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:17 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Here policemen rarely show up at traffic trials as they're outside their normal duty hours and the department won't pay the overtime. Of course the trial is inconvenient for you too.

-- Chuck
Old 02-29-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't know what the frequency of MVR reporting is for your insurance carrier, most don't run a report at every renewal. The insurance company is NOT notified if you get a ticket, only if they "look"

Most only run a report every few years after you're signed up with a carrier.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ladies and gentlemen, our resident insurance expert has spoken.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by #172CR
I don't know what the frequency of MVR reporting is for your insurance carrier, most don't run a report at every renewal. The insurance company is NOT notified if you get a ticket, only if they "look"

Most only run a report every few years after you're signed up with a carrier.
Thanks for the info, Ira!

Quick Reply: Traffic Violation