UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 V6 Conversion

Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S2000 V6 Conversion

I've got a 2003 model Honda S2000 sitting in a lockup, it's not as good as it initially sounds, it's had some frontal damage and I sold the engine as I bought it for breaking when you could get them for a decent price. I can see that they are starting to go the way of the CRX, people pulling them apart in mass quantities and before long there are going to only be a handful left available so I figure rather than throw it in the scrap yard I may as well have some fun with it.

So the main problem is that it has no engine and I'm not about to pay for an F20c as the shell really isn't worth spending the money on, my options were:

K-series: Either K20 or K24

J-series: I really liked the idea of putting a Honda V6 engine in one, I've watched a few vids on Youtube and they sound pretty good and the torque seems to move them along quite quickly.

The engine had to be a Honda and I don't have a massive budget for this project so I ended up going for the J series.

Here are some pics of what I've got to work with.

The engine arrived yesterday at a cost of £200 from a breaker on Ebay, I can't wait to get started on this.

I know it isn't a conventional engine swap and there are much better options out there for the S2000 chassis but the geometry of this engine certainly has some potential (at least on paper). I've tuned quite a few cars in my time but never really on a quest for maximum power and this will allow me to push the boundaries of my ability without having to worry about killing thousands of pounds worth of engine, if (read as when) I kill it I can just buy another for £200 from a breakers.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Cool project - what is the weight gain over the front axel? Might play havoc with the car's balance, at a guess being heavier on the front?
Which car is the engine from? Good luck!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very much looking forward to see the progress with this!

Best of luck with it!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Very much looking forward to following the progress of this!!!

Fair play to you for taking it on.

Is the engine from the Honda Legend?
Old 03-08-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Watching this with interest, something i have being toying with if my engine ever went belly up ,
Old 03-09-2016, 01:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet, my friend's just getting a J32 fitted to his Civic Coupé, would be interesting to see how this goes into an S2000
Old 03-09-2016, 01:39 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

Look at Bourbons thread albeit different engine

Looks like fun. I wouldnt know where to start.

Can you fit a non assisted rack? I remember another dude having no end of EPS troubles
Old 03-09-2016, 04:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by nomadicS2k
Cool project - what is the weight gain over the front axel? Might play havoc with the car's balance, at a guess being heavier on the front?
Which car is the engine from? Good luck!
Looks like a J30 from a US-style Accord Coupe.

No worse that supercharging an F20c in fact - the SOHC J-series is a tiny, light engine and even with the GB adapter plate, sits back where an F20C would.

It's gonna make the car more of a cruiser than a screamer, but I can see the point of the conversion. Still less boring than a BMW Z-Modell!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to see another UK Honda owner trying out the J series; I'm Superhamz's friend stuffing a J32A2 into my EM1, as far as I know the only one in the UK.

If you hadn't already bought it, I would have advised heavily against using the J30 as its renowned for being an asthmatic, unresponsive engine in both standard and modified guise. 200bhp out of the box, not a lot more than that unless you go for mad boost, but then you're dealing with a pretty soft, soggy engine for want of a better description.

Considering the Acura CL-S/TL-S J32A2 can be picked up for pretty cheap from the states, it's a better starting point. 260bhp/232lbft, 7k redline, potential for 300bhp n/a with just bolt ones and mapping and you're looking at a much better investment. If you really want to go mad, the J35A8 (UK Legend, 2007ish on) gives you 290bhp out of the box, but is a pain in the rear to fit and run, being dbw. There are also some (DBC) J35s in US odysseys which will only set you back around $3-400 plus shipping, 240bhp straight away and they take the J32A2 cams easily, giving an easy boost.

You might think that shipping would be the big killer, but I got my J32, 6mt box, standalone EMS, loom and so on (basically plug and play swap) shipped for £240 including insurance. If I had forgone insurance, I was looking at £120. The difficult part is sorting paperwork and finding a patient and willing seller.

If you stick with the J30, good luck and I'm glad to see another J swap being done in the UK, but I feel you'd miss an opportunity for real grunt and fun. If you change your mind, PM me and I'll do my best to help. I'll be watching this with interest either way!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think it would get this much interest to be honest, the good thing is that it should help give me the drive to get the job finished!

Originally Posted by nomadicS2k
Cool project - what is the weight gain over the front axel? Might play havoc with the car's balance, at a guess being heavier on the front?Which car is the engine from? Good luck!
The engine is quite light and short and looks like it will sit at the same point as the F20c if not an inch or two further inboard so shouldn'd have a great affect on the handling, I won't be running AC which is a bit of a weight saving from the off which should go some way to offsetting the extra weight.

Originally Posted by RobinA3
Very much looking forward to following the progress of this!!! Fair play to you for taking it on.Is the engine from the Honda Legend?
The engine is from a UK spec Accord coupe.

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
Watching this with interest, something i have being toying with if my engine ever went belly up ,
Well as always I will document everything in here and any equipment I get made up (like adaptor plates) I will keep CAD drawings and let people use them for no cost, just like I did with my bottom mount supercharger kit. I do get pissy when people use my ideas to make money but it hasn't happened to my knowledge yet.

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Look at Bourbons thread albeit different engineLooks like fun. I wouldnt know where to start. Can you fit a non assisted rack? I remember another dude having no end of EPS troubles
I'm not sure why it would affect the power steering unless the rack got in the way or the heat from the engine overheated the motor on the rack, I will keep it in mind though thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Originally Posted by nomadicS2k' timestamp='1457510923' post='23903047
Cool project - what is the weight gain over the front axel? Might play havoc with the car's balance, at a guess being heavier on the front?Which car is the engine from? Good luck!
Looks like a J30 from a US-style Accord Coupe.No worse that supercharging an F20c in fact - the SOHC J-series is a tiny, light engine and even with the GB adapter plate, sits back where an F20C would.It's gonna make the car more of a cruiser than a screamer, but I can see the point of the conversion. Still less boring than a BMW Z-Modell!
You are correct, it won't have the raw nature of the engine that should have been in the car but they certainly sound pretty savage at 7,000rpm with the right mods. Have a quick listen to this!

Originally Posted by J32Vic
Great to see another UK Honda owner trying out the J series; I'm Superhamz's friend stuffing a J32A2 into my EM1, as far as I know the only one in the UK.If you hadn't already bought it, I would have advised heavily against using the J30 as its renowned for being an asthmatic, unresponsive engine in both standard and modified guise. 200bhp out of the box, not a lot more than that unless you go for mad boost, but then you're dealing with a pretty soft, soggy engine for want of a better description. Considering the Acura CL-S/TL-S J32A2 can be picked up for pretty cheap from the states, it's a better starting point. 260bhp/232lbft, 7k redline, potential for 300bhp n/a with just bolt ones and mapping and you're looking at a much better investment. If you really want to go mad, the J35A8 (UK Legend, 2007ish on) gives you 290bhp out of the box, but is a pain in the rear to fit and run, being dbw. There are also some (DBC) J35s in US odysseys which will only set you back around $3-400 plus shipping, 240bhp straight away and they take the J32A2 cams easily, giving an easy boost.You might think that shipping would be the big killer, but I got my J32, 6mt box, standalone EMS, loom and so on (basically plug and play swap) shipped for £240 including insurance. If I had forgone insurance, I was looking at £120. The difficult part is sorting paperwork and finding a patient and willing seller. If you stick with the J30, good luck and I'm glad to see another J swap being done in the UK, but I feel you'd miss an opportunity for real grunt and fun. If you change your mind, PM me and I'll do my best to help. I'll be watching this with interest either way!
Welcome to the forum

I'm finding a couple of people that are using a Honda V6 engine which is always helpful as I know at some point I'm going to need help with something.

I've already bought the J30 it was £200 delivered, I know that it gets bad press especially on the US forums but they typically have a wider range of engines to choose from and if that was the case over here I would have looked at something else. My budget on this is pretty low and I'm a hands on person so am quite comfortable with tuning it.

The actual architecture of the engine suggests that it has the capability to be a high revving unit with plenty of potential NA, however I do have a Rotrex supercharger and a Garrett T35 to choose from if I want lots of power. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go with it but at £200 a pop I fully intend to find out how capable these engines are.

Once I've got the thing done and if it is something I like I may end up going for a bigger unit with more potential from the US we'll see how it goes.

Quick Reply: S2000 V6 Conversion