New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

I bought a S2000 and got ripped off

Old 03-15-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I bought a S2000 and got ripped off

I recently bought a S2000 from someone in Los Angeles. The deal was for his car as is which included OEM HARD TOP, OEM HARD TOP STAND, VOLK RACING TE 37, KW V3 COILOVERS and GREDDY SPECTRUM ELITE EXHAUST.

This is the Craigslist AD that has since been removed by the seller.

I flew over to Los Angeles on 2/26/2016 and met the seller Allen/Bo Hong at the auto repair shop ( PARAGON AUTOMOTIVE in Monterey Park, CA ) where he worked as a manager I believe.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/paragon-auto...onterey-park-2
http://www.paragonautomotives.com

He was very polite, courteous and seemed like a good guy. The guys at his shop lifted the car for me to inspect the under carriage, I test drove the car and everything was in line. Me living in New York I obviously had to transport the car back and Allen graciously offered to let me leave the car at his shop until the truck transport arrives, promising me that it will stay safe inside his shop for the duration of time until it gets picked up. We shook hands and I gave him a certified check for the car and flew back home to New York anxiously awaiting my car.

This was the last time i saw the car when I left it at his shop before I flew back home to New York.

Fast forward to today 3/15/2016 and i go meet the truck driver to pick up my car.

Missing:
OEM HARD TOP STAND
OEM GPW HARD TOP
KW V3 COIL OVERS

I can't reach him by phone but he replies to my email .. "we didn't sign any proof document on paper saying the car includes hardtop and suspension" and I get the car "as is" which seems to be a term he likes to hide behind now. He is correct, I did not have him sign any documentation stating the car includes the parts but I DID buy the car from him and left it in his possession with the hardtop and suspension intact. The parts were only removed after I had left, a basic BAIT & SWITCH. There was a Craigslist AD and has since been removed. Most of our conversations happened in person or on the phone. We spent 3 hours talking about the car at his shop and hanging out.. We even went to his house and picked up a spare set of mats he had for the car. Never did I expect to get scammed by this guy and trusted him; lesson learned, don't trust anyone!

Not sure how to proceed next and i live in New York.. I would at least like to spread the word on the West Coast that this guy is a Grade A SCUMBAG, running a business and ripping people off.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What a scumbag, sorry you have to deal with this. I apologize I dont really have any useful feedback, but I really hope this get resolved the right way.

Maybe post in one of the cali sub forums see if anyone knows the car or the guy and keep a look out for the parts for sale in the area, enlisting some help from the west coast guys may prove helpful.

If you have the pictures from when you bought it with some kind of time and date on them, you may be able to shove his as is wording back down his throat. Since that's "as the car was" when you agreed to purchase.

The car looks to be in great shape at least, what year and how many miles?

Good luck with everything.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tdoolin18
What a scumbag, sorry you have to deal with this. I apologize I dont really have any useful feedback, but I really hope this get resolved the right way.

Maybe post in one of the cali sub forums see if anyone knows the car or the guy and keep a look out for the parts for sale in the area, enlisting some help from the west coast guys may prove helpful.

If you have the pictures from when you bought it with some kind of time and date on them, you may be able to shove his as is wording back down his throat. Since that's "as the car was" when you agreed to purchase.

The car looks to be in great shape at least, what year and how many miles?

Good luck with everything.
I posted a link to the story over in the Cali forum.

Yes the car is in great shape. 2008 GPW, Black/Red Interior, 20k miles.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

wow that's shitty. almost worth flying back over there and paying him a visit with a louisville slugger.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a scumbag for sure, Lon! It is unf@#king real for someone to take advantage like this but if one thing has tought me down here in FL... people will smile in your face and take advantage of you the second you turn around.

It's great to see you back and that you got pretty much got the same car you sold to me but it makes me furious to have this back story go with it. It really overshadows the joy of seeing you back but regardless, glad you are back, hommie.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 212 Likes on 137 Posts

Yo, if you want to buy me and yourself a ticket I'll go with you and we'll beat the shit outta this guy.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that's unreal I would go crazy. other then flying back and paying him a visit there's not much you can do. beautiful car btw
Old 03-15-2016, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by orangebarius
wow that's shitty. almost worth flying back over there and paying him a visit with a louisville slugger.

Hey Barry, that was the first thing to cross my mind!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by cleenyc99
wow that's unreal I would go crazy. other then flying back and paying him a visit there's not much you can do. beautiful car btw
Yeah, I didn't document the sale well enough and now I'm paying for it. Lesson learned. Hopefully someone reads this and protects them self from possibly getting scammed too.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude thats shitty, but $33k for a s2000 is a stretch.... That would have been my first sign of something not right. You got ripped off in more than one way my man

Quick Reply: I bought a S2000 and got ripped off