S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

S2000, Improving the S2K experience

Old 03-28-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default S2000, Improving the S2K experience

We all know that in factory form, the S2K is a magnificent machine. What mods have you all done to improve on the experience while in the drivers seat of the S2K? Now, I am not talking about the basic: Tune, Exhaust, Intake. I'm talking about the finer, harder to address but when improved, make the S2K that much better to be behind the wheel.

Example, I used to own an 05 Subaru STi. I adored that car. It was awesome in a lot of ways. I changed many things in the car to improve on it as it sat, to improve JUST FOR THE EXPERIENCE of the car. Upgrading the steering bushings to enhance feel of the steering, less to no slop left. Upgrading the shift knob and lever to lower the shift throw but not so low to the point of being a ricer. Installing new shift bushings. Removing the Clutch delay valve to improve accuracy and feel with the clutch. Installing seats from an Evo VIII for better seating bolstering and lower seating position. Installing a rear engine "dogbone" to improve stability of the engine, staying in one place under acceleration, deceleration, shifting, etc. I think you guys are getting the picture.

I realize all of this is up to each persons opinion, but, seeing what small mods you have done to improve the way you like to drive, would help me. Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to owning an S2000 I look forward to everyone's response, Good and Bad!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

MY00: Moddiction Anvil shift knob, Ohlin DFV coilovers, Recaro Pole Position and AP2V2s wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports have been the best mods so far for overall driving experience. Next mod will be more track time coming this Spring/Summer.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 23 parts:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...and-Tires.aspx
Old 03-28-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In no particular order:

1. short shifter
2. removed fail safe to engage clutch before starting the car
3. relocate trunk button below the defroster button (pic)
4. gutted the engine bay, makes servicing it easier
5. racing hood pins, no need to go inside to open the hood
6. convex mirrors (pic)
7. soft top bypass mod
8. relocated cigarette lighter to passenger side left knee area (pic)

ooohh, I could go on for days!!! lol

Old 03-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Some of your mods will depend on which era s2k you have, but many are universal as well.

In no particular order, some that stand out to me which made the most difference on enhancing whats already there for actually bringing up the performance level as well as the enjoyment level. I should note that the car is track proven and as far as I know still holds a loose track time record for a general street class spec level for a 2.5 mile road course at the Ridge in shelton WA.

-custom spec lightweight wheels to accommodate widest available rubber for modified stock fenders 255/295/17 stagger
-8lb flywheel
-larger SOS TB with port match stock manifold for added throttle response and power gains through entire rpm
-coolant delete from entire intake manifold and TB, with custom gutted factory box and cold air snorkel to reduce AIT
-Test pipe to allow for 3600rpm vtec
-front brake ducts
-lowering center gravity approx -2" with adjustable coilovers and proper matched F/R spring rate with ap2 rear sway bar to dial in for tire adhesion level and balanced body control
-recessed shift knob
-soft top safety switch delete mod
-adjustable rear toe arm/bump steer kit
-4 point roll bar for added safety and chassis stiffening
-330mm sparco steering wheel with optional nitro button kit for relocating/retaining function of cruise control
Old 03-28-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Stereo with more power, added a small tube in the trunk and separates in the door. The ability to hear (and feel) music at any speed with the top down is huge.

Counter sunk the stock shifter knob about a 1/2". I mean really this is god's own transmission/shifter.

Hardtop latches basically silenced my roof noises. The car is quieter inside than my C6 coupe was.

Koni yellows and ground control improved the grip and the ride is actually better than OEM.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Waiting to do my led cabin lights
Old 04-23-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

The interior of the S2000 can benefit from some modifications to give it more of an upscale look and feel. A new thicker steering wheel, padded elbow pad, covered e-brake, leather shift boot, moddiction Anvil2 knob, and carbon fiber center console have made a big difference in my S2000. These are upgrades you can appreciate on every drive.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Recaro Pole positions. They're comfortable and they give the car the right "feel". To me, the stock leather seats don't quite relay the right message.

My own-spec home made (well...the actual CNC'ing was not done at home lol) seat rail plates are fantastic. They allow me to adapt the stock sliders to my pole position seat. I can't believe I lived with buddy club rails for so long. ats self on back:

Öhlins coilovers. I used to have KW V3's. Both improved the car. I don't own any cars with a stock suspension because I really enjoy tailoring a car through the suspension.

I enjoy my bluetooth head unit a lot. But my door speakers are basic ones made by Kenwood. Not bad. But I'd love a nice stereo.

CR shift knob. Round shift knobs is where its at.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The interior of the S2000 can benefit from some modifications to give it more of an upscale look and feel. A new thicker steering wheel, padded elbow pad, covered e-brake, leather shift boot, moddiction Anvil2 knob, and carbon fiber center console have made a big difference in my S2000. These are upgrades you can appreciate on every drive.
Sounds great. Do yo have a build thread with pictures and suppliers?

Quick Reply: S2000, Improving the S2K experience