New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

IS IT OVER?

Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts
Default IS IT OVER?

Posted Today, 04:16 PM
Has the interest waned to the point that meets are becoming obsolete? I realize we've all grown older and that health and family issues are arising more and more often. Life, as they say gets in the way. Last Fall the turnout for Fall Harvest dropped considerably - to the point that I'm wondering if I should put it on again this year. It requires a great deal of time and work -as anyone who has ever organized a meet will tell you. I absolutely love doing it, however I fear that if participation drops off any more it won't be worth the effort. Negotiating hotel rates and dining facilities requires a commitment to those people in the form of head counts based on my word. We have to reach certain levels for the rates we receive. I noticed that Spring Fling interest seems to be less than previous years as well. So please give me input on your interest. I normally would have started planning a few months ago for this years meet but have been a bit gun-shy after last year.

Your obedient servant,

David aka Headchef
Old 04-01-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weekend long meets are hard to commit to having kids :/. A single day meet is more my style personally
Old 04-02-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's over and has been for a few years now . The cars are getting old and many owners have moved on . Over the years i have been to a couple of cool meets and had a really good time . It was fun while it lasted . I rarely come over to the New England owners Chapter as it seem's like a waste . Sad but true . When i do see an S2000 on the road i still wave even though some do not wave back . For those who are die hard i tip my hat to you !
Old 04-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

I think it's only over when you want it to be.

I think if the group is a little more organized and public about meet ups, the people will show up.

Coming from the Southern Ontario group, we still do monthly meets, special drives, a big group to the dragon for the longer trip etc.

That being said, if you folks are willing, I'm all for putting in a little effort to make things happen
Old 04-04-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

New England is pretty dead, Dave. Especially compared to what it once was. Many of the people who bought them new and joined the site eventually sold them and moved on. Second and third owners signed on to the site, but tended to be less inclined to attend meets. The most active section now is the lounge where people buy and sell stuff. The new people may be uninterested in meeting other owners, or unwilling to travel, or unwilling to participate in the events described. The most popular events seem to be "let's meet in a parking lot for a couple of hours." And these tend to be multi-marque meets. Meets where you go out to eat or need to pay for a hotel room don't get much traction. I'm not sure if it is the money or something else.

If this region is going to rebuild, it has to start slow with some no-cost parking lot meets or drives and then see if a community can be built again.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Spotter

Totally with you on the low cost stuff. What got me into meets was a tech day where I could learn how to do some basic stuff like change my fluids like transmission engine and diff fluid. Brake bleeds, axle nut torque etc. buy your own oil and do your own work with direction from some experienced folk.

Heck if we had the garage space, could even do the quick coilover install.

Weekend trips and big outings are pricey and require a time commitment, you're not attracting the numbers with those, especially with a not so motivated group of people who don't know each other
Old 04-05-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

^ Yup. I think we need to start small and slow.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:06 AM

I've enjoyed many meets over the years and the Fall Crawl and Fall Harvest ones have been really great. I did a Zip drive event in NY that was wonderful. I also remember the Spring and Fall Mohawk drives - one day affairs. I've attended a few Spring Flings and will do this years. Small, one day drives organized outside the forum have been great as well. I hate to see this all go away. It's been so much fun for me but I understand nothing lasts forever. I plan on taking advantage of what I can while I still have the car and stand on the right side of the grass.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:51 AM

Time commitments make meets difficult for me. With 2 kids, my weekends are much different than they were almost 11 years ago when I bought the car. I would still like to make a meet at some point but it's finding the right time. I do miss car talk and meeting other owners, but I'll be honest, so many years later with the s2k the honeymoon period is well over. I plan to pass the car down to my kids because I do love it and feel it'll be a true classic, but the new car excitement isn't there anymore for me.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Spotter

^Just gotta buy another one

I had my Sebring for 6 years. Sold it a month ago now and picked up an Imola orange.

I guess I'm fortunate that I still have minimal attachments and a good amount of free time on my hands to go for weekend drives when I feel like it.

I do agree though, this car is going nowhere. Between the color and the s2000 itself, it's going to be something real special to pass down to the kids way way way in the future from now

Quick Reply: IS IT OVER?