UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice on service items before long holiday tour

Old 04-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on service items before long holiday tour

My S has only done c1500 miles between services for each of the last 3-4 years (total less than 6000 in 4 years)

I have 3 trips to Europe planned this year - 2 of c1000 miles each and 1 of c3000 miles.

Apart from the annual oil / filter change, what else would you consider replacing?
Would you replace the water pump and aux belt as a precautionary measure?
Or only take the aux belt as a spare in the boot?

I will have European break down cover..
Old 04-05-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd take a spare v-belt but not bother with the water pump - I can't remember ever seeing a "my water pump has gone" thread on here (unlike certain VW forums I could mention) so I've always assumed they are pretty reliable. Maybe a pre-mixed coolant top-up and a spare radiator cap if you are going to be in Southern Europe in the Summer ?
Old 04-06-2016, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
I'd take a spare v-belt but not bother with the water pump - I can't remember ever seeing a "my water pump has gone" thread on here (unlike certain VW forums I could mention) so I've always assumed they are pretty reliable. Maybe a pre-mixed coolant top-up and a spare radiator cap if you are going to be in Southern Europe in the Summer ?

Thanks Ben
That was my thinking - a search didn't reveal any "failed water pump" threads.
All fluids are changed to schedule (oil annually regardless of low miles) so I will probably just take a spare plug, coil and the v-belt

Undecided about the spare wheel - the boot will be so full there won't be room for a flat tyre if I ever needed to change it
Old 04-06-2016, 04:45 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I was going to suggest a can of tyre "ghee" in case you pick up a puncture. Being stuck on a Route National, late on a Saturday is no fun. However the AA sorted us out amazingly well even those we didn't have explicit Euro cover for that trip. Tyre blow out on boat trailer, we had a new tyre on the trailer within about 3 hours, after they came and picked trailer and boat up on the back of a flat bed.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I would change the Aux belt, its such an easy job to do it would be mad to not do it before a long drive.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you going just out of interest? I live in Scotland and really want to do a trip but my girlfriend couldn't think of anything worse haha! She doesn't appreciate the S as much as I do
Old 04-07-2016, 12:41 AM

Was keeping an eye on this thread with interest because in 2 weeks we are taking a road trip from South Yorkshire to the Cairngorms which will be c.1000 mile round trip.

The S was serviced a month ago but I've now decided to do a diff and gear box oil change as looking at the history it's been a while since they were last done but now thinking about the aux belt too as is an easy job. Will carry a small bottle of oil too just in case a top up is needed.

Do also have the annoying 1 second starter screech on cold start up so want to do a starter strip, clean and grease but not sure I'll get around to this in time...
Old 04-07-2016, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by harryhendo
Where are you going just out of interest? I live in Scotland and really want to do a trip but my girlfriend couldn't think of anything worse haha! She doesn't appreciate the S as much as I do

The Laon Classic in northern France - c1000miles

The Le Mans 24 hours - c1000 miles

A 2 week "Italian Job" trip over the alps to Lake Garda - c3000 miles

At least the car is a tad quieter roof up with my new rood
Old 04-13-2016, 03:51 AM

Full service a month ago and just done my diff and transmission fluid changes. A few small shavings on the diff sump magnet but nothing too disconcerting. Aux belt also changed...jobs a good'un!

Thank you Cox Motor Parts for all the required bits and bobs!

Bring on the trip next week!
Old 04-13-2016, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you? I have a Sanef autoroute tag you can borrow as long as you pay the bill on your return. We are unable to go due to medical issues and it would be a shame to see it sat in a draw. The tag makes you faster than an Aston Martin and a Ferrari. We arrived in France just before Le Man's, cruising at 130kph and all sorts of supercars were flying past us until they reached the tolls when we passed them. It then took them another 15 minutes to catch us only for the same to happen at the next toll.
We have been traveling to Europe for many years, since 2002 in a S2000, apart from the standard things, hi vis vest, light bulbs etc, the only extra was oil for the pre facelift model we had. For the past 5 years we never took the space saver wheel, just a compressor and tyre goo. If you had a puncture and fitted the space saver, how are you going to carry the punctured wheel? How far do you travel each year in the UK without carrying a boot load of spares. Get good continental breakdown cover, if you do have problems you've paid for it so use it.

Quick Reply: Advice on service items before long holiday tour