Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Michelin Pilot SPort AS3+

Old 04-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Michelin Pilot SPort AS3+

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/PSAS3Plus_Video_Jim.jsp

I was lucky enough to get invited to Las Vegas in March to test the new AS3+. I had driven the previous tire on my BMW and was impressed with the wet and dry handling while the snow was less impressive. We got a chance to put the AS3+ through the paces on the BMW M4, Audi S4 and the Lexus IS350. We started out with some spirited touring through the mountain roads around Vegas and I can tell you this is not your normal all season tire. They offered excellent ride quality and more than enough handling on the twisty roads at speed.

After lunch we ended up at Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch for some head to head comparison testing against some of the leading competitors. Included was a wet and dry auto cross, a dry high speed braking exercise and some track work. The auto cross was a mix of slaloms, 180 degree corners and several 90 degree corners. While we did not record times it was really evident from the seat that the other competitors were just not prepared to handle the wet and dry portions of the course like the Michelin AS3+.

In the threshold braking test we kept track with an onboard datalogger to measure the distance required to stop from 60 miles per hour. After nearly 40 panic stops in the dry the Michelin displayed enough of a difference to avoid hitting that car that stopped in front of you. While the difference was not felt in the seat this time we had data to back it up.

On the track the AS3+ felt right at home in the lead follow exercise. following the C7 Corvette around the track you could have told me we were on the Super Sports and I would not been able to feel the difference. They were confident in cornering and braking on the track. While we did not do a lot of time lapping you can tell that for aggressive street driving they are more than enough.

Now for the winter part that I was not that thrilled with on the AS3 the new AS3+ with the new rubber compound increased winter traction by 28%. In head to head testing against the Tire Rack tested best performance all season tire the Michelin was equal in the braking and acceleration and just slightly behind the number one tire in cornering.

Finding that fine balance of handling in all conditions including snow is very difficult. From my prospective the new tire hit a home run, or this time of year a 3 pointer. So contrary to what they say what happens in Vegas does not have to stay in Vegas. If you are looking for an option for your S2K for a daily driver the new AS3+ is a very good option. Give them a try, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

If I can help give me a call anytime or click through the Tire Rack Banner on the site. Enter Jim as a previous contact and I will get them on the way. We currently have a 70.00 mail in rebate on a set of four tires through 04/10.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 1,552 Likes on 921 Posts

I put on Super Sports summer tires last year. Great performance in both dry and wet conditions. However, I have never experienced the absolute complete lack of traction in those tires on packed snow than any other tire I have driven in 60 years. They are not All Season for sure.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's talking about the AS3+, not the PSS. I have the original AS3 on my 3 series sedan daily. We don't get snow or many days/nights of freezing temps, so these tires have been GREAT. I even ran an AX with them. I'm not even sure the tire knows the ground is wet when it rains. It just grips. Impressive tire for my needs.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the previous Pilot Sport AS3 on my daily driven TSX and I love them as well. Recently got a bubble in one though, but that was due to a large pothole which I couldn't avoid on the road. Got it replaced by Costco (more difficult than I thought it would be to use the warranty), but that's a different story for a different day. At the end of it all, I really enjoy the tires and they make the TSX much better to drive than when it was on the original MXV4s.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 1,552 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by David C
He's talking about the AS3+, not the PSS. I have the original AS3 on my 3 series sedan daily. We don't get snow or many days/nights of freezing temps, so these tires have been GREAT. I even ran an AX with them. I'm not even sure the tire knows the ground is wet when it rains. It just grips. Impressive tire for my needs.
I know. AS3+ was all over his post. I was just pointing out the PSS had absolutely nothing of all season in it to compare with the AS3+. All or nothing, thats all. Guess I should have put that in.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will say that the tiers we sell now do come with a 2 year road hazard included. While the AS3+ does not handle like the Super Sport they are more than adequate for an aggressively driven street car. If I can help let me know.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have a set of the original Pilot Sport A/S+ that I've been running now on my AP2, they have been great and performed awesome for a UHP all season tire. Would highly recommend the new A/S 3+ to anyone looking for the best ultra high performance all season tire available.

BTW you have an awesome job getting to test for Tire Rack (and moderating the tire rack forum).
Old 04-25-2016, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,

I just purchased a 2003 S2000. I want to stay with the stock 16 inch wheels.T he car has Bridgestone 970AS on it at the present time with lots of tread. I drive semi aggressively and want the the best tires possible on the car for the street. I have a Mazda Miata with 17's and Michelin Super sports. I love them, but my understanding is that the Michelin SS do not come in 16"s. Would you recommeed the Bridgestone RE 11 or the new Michelin AS+3 for me? I would most likely do a few track events per year. I know these are 2 different types of tires just wondering what you think would be best.

Thank you

Earl
Old 04-26-2016, 10:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

^If you don't need the all-season capabilities, I would go with the RE71a's (they pretty much replaced the Re11a's with these), they're amongst the best performers in the dry and are good in the wet. Some say the tire wears out quickly though but I guess that might also depend on how you drive.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you do need the A/S capabilities, you already have a set. The RE970's are a capable all season tire just like the Michelins (A/S3+). The difference in grip would be marginal in comparison to upgrading to extreme performance where you'll really notice the benefit.

That being said, I would not run all season tires on the track. You'd be much better off with extreme performance for that. If you need an all season or winter tire for winter, two sets is ideal.

Quick Reply: New Michelin Pilot SPort AS3+