UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello S2k UK Community

Old 04-22-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hello S2k UK Community

Evening all,

I thought I best introduce myself and my new toy. I'm better known as Rob, 29 years young and living in the Derby area. I currently work within the print/signage industry where I am lucky enough to actually enjoy my job!

I've driven various cars over the years, but mainly MR2's (mk2) having owned 3. After poor results on cylinder no. 4 myself and a friend stripped the engine down and rebuilt it (a good learning curve), but by this time my love for the car had diminished. I sold this last June and have been mulling over what car to buy next. I've always fancied and S2000, but it wasn't until a friend of mine purchased an MX5 (NB) that I realised how good a little revvy roadster can be. If a went for the MX5 I would always kick myself thinking I should have gone for the S2000. I tend to have strived for power in the past, but now the aim is for something that handles like a go kart and is ultimately going to be fun to drive.

So, last weekend I took the 7 hour round trip to see Silverstone S2000 with 84k on the clock. Within the hour I was on the way home in the new wheels.

Currently I am awaiting May to tax the car before I can get a proper feel of her. Until then she will sit on the drive whilst I look for the relevant service parts. Here's the only pic I really have at the moment:

For the price I paid I am rather happy. With 11 months Mot, a brand new mohair roof (receipt for £800) and wheels worth a decent amount. The down side being one rear arch has some rusting but I will get this sorted out. The headlights were very yellow but I have already polished these up.

I will get some more pictures up when I come to actually drive it!

I feel like I've gone from knowing the MR2 fairly well, to knowing absolutely nothing about the S2000, so I apologise in advance that I will more than likely to be asking some stupid questions, so I may as well start now .

I'm sure it's been asked alot but here it goes anyway; which oil do you guys tend to use? I've read THIS THREAD which made for interesting reading. But thought I'd see what the general concensus is on this side of the pond. Or if anyone had any specific advice for a 2001 s2000 on reasonable mileage.

Lastly, do you guys recommend anywhere inparticular to purchase service parts?

I've just signed up as a Premium member here, so hopefully before long I can give something back and attend a few meets.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome, also 29, and also enjoy my job. How strange is that!

I stick to Castrol edge 5-40 and change every 5k. Si@Hendy thread good for parts found here

Go steady driving it and all will be well, lots of people get caught out as it can be quite a snappy car in the rain.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

"Until then she will sit on the driver"

OUCH!

Well done and welcome, and you seem to have chosen the fastest colour.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:31 AM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

Howdy and welcome to the forum, enjoy it here until you can get the car out.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:34 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Enjoy your new car. Even though they all look the same we're looking forward to seeing yours. Keep us up to date on the rust issue. A little rust is like a little pregnant, it seems to grow.

The Honda engineers are complete idiots. Ignore their specified 10W-30 engine oil (5W-40 in very cold temperatures) and stick with Internet recommendations based on samples of one or two cars and the recommendations of "Bubba" (not sure of his name in the UK!) at the auto parts store. It appears many (most?) of us here change our oil and filter long before the interval (specified by those same idiots) anyway so lacking an oil analysis it doesn't make any difference what brand of oil is used. We all have our favorite brands,of course.

A complete fluid change seems to be the consensus here. Won't hurt and you'll feel better. Coolant and hydraulics are based on time, not mileage so check the owners manual for the maintenance intervals

-- Chuck
Old 04-23-2016, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Rob

Welcome along, enjoy the ride and get to some meets
Old 04-24-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Doyal
I stick to Castrol edge 5-40 and change every 5k. Si@Hendy thread good for parts found here
Thank you, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by richmc
"Until then she will sit on the driver"
Amended. haha

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The Honda engineers are complete idiots. Ignore their specified 10W-30 engine oil (5W-40 in very cold temperatures) and stick with Internet recommendations based on samples of one or two cars and the recommendations of "Bubba" (not sure of his name in the UK!) at the auto parts store. It appears many (most?) of us here change our oil and filter long before the interval (specified by those same idiots) anyway so lacking an oil analysis it doesn't make any difference what brand of oil is used. We all have our favorite brands,of course.

A complete fluid change seems to be the consensus here. Won't hurt and you'll feel better. Coolant and hydraulics are based on time, not mileage so check the owners manual for the maintenance intervals

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck, much appreciated. So the general consensus over here leans more towards 5w40? It looks like this is what I'll be going with currently. Perhaps there is no better option and people just go with any

I'm off to buy some spark plugs, oil and other service bits now then

Rob
Old 04-24-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

from me too.
I am also from Derby, if I see you around I will give you a wave. I have A 99 Red S2, which doesn't get used much as it's a weekend toy only.
Service parts are dead easy in Derby, filters etc get from Derby Honda, great bunch there. spark plugs ebay or amazon, 5/40 oil from Euro Car Parts on Pentagon island.

If you need any advice just shout up.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:36 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

So the general consensus over here leans more towards 5w40? Got me, the spec is 10W-30 and since I don't drive in extreme cold (nor do you) that's what I use.

-- Chuck
Old 04-25-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by tozerman
from me too.
I am also from Derby, if I see you around I will give you a wave. I have A 99 Red S2, which doesn't get used much as it's a weekend toy only.
Service parts are dead easy in Derby, filters etc get from Derby Honda, great bunch there. spark plugs ebay or amazon, 5/40 oil from Euro Car Parts on Pentagon island.

If you need any advice just shout up.
Good to know there are some local members about - I'll keep my eye out once on the road. Where abouts are you based? I'm Alvaston.

Originally Posted by Chuck S
So the general consensus over here leans more towards 5w40? Got me, the spec is 10W-30 and since I don't drive in extreme cold (nor do you) that's what I use.

-- Chuck
I'm going to do some searching tonight before I decide, but different answers already just in here. I would rather get it right first time, but then I guess there can't be much in it if many people are using different grades.

Someone said today that I may be better going thicker as its done a few miles now, and the tolerances become less tight as the engine wears. No idea how they came to that conclusion though. Tempted to run 10w30 at the moment. I notice Opie Oils do the correct spark plugs so will get an order in shortly.

How long have you (tozerman & chuck - any other input appreciated) been running those grade oils?

Rob

Quick Reply: Hello S2k UK Community