Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

WTD 2016 Feedback

Old 04-25-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default WTD 2016 Feedback

I talked to Raul and several of the guys yesterday and thought it would be a cool idea to have a feedback thread on here where we can discuss ideas to make the next events even more awesome. Please note, this isn't a "where would you rather stay? What weekend?" etc. thread.

Here's what I mean:

Suggestion to the organizers:
+Make it an all-weekend event. A lot of the guys took Monday off work, which makes me think that if we had drives planned for Sunday, we could maximize our weekend and have the event end on Monday AM.

+While the overall group was much more inclusive, group drives tend to be a bit more "cliquie" meaning if you didn't talk to someone the night before, people would start rolling out at 8-9am and you would be none the wiser. The usual message board in the lobby could solve this issue... However, I loved how at Tapoco (unlike Fontana) we all hung out by the river at the end of the day, which is much more inclusive to everyone than the "isolated cabin" feel we get at Fontana.

+Start the group drives no earlier than 8:30-9am. I think it's safe to say we're all on vacation, so why get up at the ass crack of dawn if we can "sleep in" until 8?

Discuss.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

+ Include vendors, like Matt the Dent Guy
Old 04-25-2016, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote to stay at Tapoco again.
Lol

So yea I think one idea is to break up each drive into two groups of optimal 6-8 cars. So a moderate one that leaves first then a spirited one that leaves a few minutes later

I also think that having a Sunday planned drive would encourage more people to stay and drive home Monday or late Sunday
Old 04-25-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's a long stretch and would he silly just to accommodate myself and my girlfriend, but still being a student, my girlfriend can only really take off during spring break(which this event landed perfectly on) I only hope that it ends up the same way next year. She really enjoys the event as much as I do, if not more.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm
+Make it an all-weekend event. A lot of the guys took Monday off work, which makes me think that if we had drives planned for Sunday, we could maximize our weekend and have the event end on Monday AM.

+While the overall group was much more inclusive, group drives tend to be a bit more "cliquie" meaning if you didn't talk to someone the night before, people would start rolling out at 8-9am and you would be none the wiser. The usual message board in the lobby could solve this issue... However, I loved how at Tapoco (unlike Fontana) we all hung out by the river at the end of the day, which is much more inclusive to everyone than the "isolated cabin" feel we get at Fontana.

+Start the group drives no earlier than 8:30-9am. I think it's safe to say we're all on vacation, so why get up at the ass crack of dawn if we can "sleep in" until 8?
>> I like the idea of making the event longer...as already for the past few years, we've seen folks coming earlier to get in more driving time (and relaxation time). Seems like we are leaving a perfectly fantastic Sunday for driving home when we could be enjoying the area a bit more.

>> Message board along with printed itineraries will happen at the next event. Lots of folks asked me "What time is _______" etc. I think an itinerary on the message board would help a great deal.

>> I don't believe I've ever started a drive before 9am...but I agree, we are on vacation...but we are also trying to "seize the day" in regards to drives and keeping a lunch schedule.

My "other" suggestions:

+ MORE group drives and SMALLER group sizes (for example, limit to 10 cars)...more than that makes it difficult to keep tabs on everyone and also can create a bottleneck at restaurants, etc.

+ Volunteers for registration...a "one man show" doesn't make it that easy to get the line moving, if you know what I mean. A few folks asked if they could help but I realize folks often say that just to be nice, haha...I don't want to have them help when they could be having fun and attending the event like they paid to do.

+ Vendors (like Matt the Dent Guy), Modifry, s2ki.com (don't they have some $$$ now, LOL), S2KCA (don't they also have some $$$, LOL), Zaino, Meguiars, Adam's Polishes, etc.

+ Raffle prizes, sponsor giveaways, etc.

+ Video featuring weekend drive, etc (share photos, video). Someone mentioned a hard drive dump where folks could upload their photos. Maybe some thumb drives?? We could use them for each event, pass them around...that sorta thing. Maybe AirDrop from iPhones to a Mac.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"+Make it an all-weekend event. A lot of the guys took Monday off work, which makes me think that if we had drives planned for Sunday, we could maximize our weekend and have the event end on Monday AM. "

Not a fan.

how about making it longer on the front side. Sundays are for us folks that have to drive 8-10 hr home. Weekdays are the best days to drive the roads. weekends are packed. There are about 200 various churches up there. Just imagine the Sunday driving.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by airgate
+ Volunteers for registration...a "one man show" doesn't make it that easy to get the line moving, if you know what I mean. A few folks asked if they could help but I realize folks often say that just to be nice, haha...I don't want to have them help when they could be having fun and attending the event like they paid to do.

+ Video featuring weekend drive, etc (share photos, video). Someone mentioned a hard drive dump where folks could upload their photos. Maybe some thumb drives?? We could use them for each event, pass them around...that sorta thing. Maybe AirDrop from iPhones to a Mac.
I'd volunteer for at least one of the registrations (not the Friday early AM one )

The hard drive dump sounds like a cool idea, must submit all your vids by saturday 3pm or something? What should the deadline be?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimreaper
"+Make it an all-weekend event. A lot of the guys took Monday off work, which makes me think that if we had drives planned for Sunday, we could maximize our weekend and have the event end on Monday AM. "

Not a fan.

how about making it longer on the front side. Sundays are for us folks that have to drive 8-10 hr home. Weekdays are the best days to drive the roads. weekends are packed. There are about 200 various churches up there. Just imagine the Sunday driving.
I stayed Sunday and decided to drive up the dragon out to Knoxville. It took a good half hour to get up the dragon because of all the traffic.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by jimreaper

Not a fan.

I know myself, whrdlmi, and goldenfri have been coming down on Wednesdays for a few years now. Sundays are to drive home to watch Game of Thrones.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TepEvan
Originally Posted by jimreaper' timestamp='1461848959' post='23951060

Not a fan.

I know myself, whrdlmi, and goldenfri have been coming down on Wednesdays for a few years now. Sundays are to drive home to watch Game of Thrones.
Yeah, down Wednesday, back Sunday was just enough for me too. Having said that, an informal Sunday brunch drive for those that live closer would be great.

A "video/photo thing" would be awesome.

Quick Reply: WTD 2016 Feedback