UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What clutch/PP/ flywheel combo are you running?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What clutch/PP/ flywheel combo are you running?

Hi guys,

My clutch has seen better days. What sort of combination are you guys running?
I always felt that the clutch engagement was a bit 'lazy' and I'm not sure if it's mainly because of the worn out clutch or the delay valve.(maybe both?)
I'm planning to upgrade the flywheel - maybe spoon. I've read in another thread about the spoon clutch and pressure plate and people seems to like it , but I'm finding it hard to justify almost £700 on a what it seems to be modified OEM parts, when a OEM clutch kit can be bought for less than £400.
Should I go for the spoon combo or simply removing the delay valve and going OEM?

Thank you
Old 04-25-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

If you're not going FI, there's no reason to upgrade the clutch. So many people have found non-oem combinations to be less than ideal. Removing the delay valve is well worth it.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:53 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I took the opportunity to replace with a (slightly) lighter RPC flywheel and full OEM clutch kit - I have also removed the CDV and still very happy with the combo a year and a bit after having it fitted.

The flywheel isn't as light as the likes of Fidanza but it's a load cheaper
Old 04-26-2016, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by chrispayze
If you're not going FI, there's no reason to upgrade the clutch. So many people have found non-oem combinations to be less than ideal. Removing the delay valve is well worth it.
I will modify my car but going FI is not in my plans for now. OEM should be ok then
Old 04-26-2016, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
I took the opportunity to replace with a (slightly) lighter RPC flywheel and full OEM clutch kit - I have also removed the CDV and still very happy with the combo a year and a bit after having it fitted.

The flywheel isn't as light as the likes of Fidanza but it's a load cheaper
Will the removal of the CDV make the engagement quicker? I think that's my issue (apart from the clutch being worn out).
When the clutch was in good shape I was happy with its engagement but always felt that something was really restricting the full engagement right away.
Does that make any sense?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:10 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, the delay wasn't that noticeable but you are describing the exact sensation you get where it feels like the clutch is slipping a bit (especially from 2nd to 3rd in VTEC) - get your CDV removed, there's some good how-tos out there and you will need a decent pick to get the snap ring out - I used a set like this 6 PC EXTRA LONG REACH HOOK & PICK TOOL SET O-RING & SEAL REMOVER
Old 04-26-2016, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Yep, the delay wasn't that noticeable but you are describing the exact sensation you get where it feels like the clutch is slipping a bit (especially from 2nd to 3rd in VTEC) - get your CDV removed, there's some good how-tos out there and you will need a decent pick to get the snap ring out - I used a set like this 6 PC EXTRA LONG REACH HOOK & PICK TOOL SET O-RING & SEAL REMOVER
Yes it is really noticeable when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear.
Thanks Ben, I will remove it at the same time with the clutch.