UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Immobiliser problems

Old 04-27-2016, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobiliser problems

Ive been working on the car of the last few weeks and its not been in use. After finishing most of the work i decided to take it for a spin but the car wont start. The immobilizer fob wont go off and the lights do not flash. I have looked this problem up on the forum and know this is a common problem. How ever all the threads i have read say check the fuse first, is this located under the drivers seat, bonnet or foot-well? I also would appreciate any help to sort the problem as i have a very ill relative and need a second car.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you have a pre-facelift so bound to be a Hamilton & Palmer immobiliser. Loads of us have had issues with these. After mine playing up for a while I ended up having to replace the circuit board. Very easy job mind you.

Have a word with Jim (I think that's his name) he's the only guy there who knows about the immobiliser but only works a couple of days a week http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/
Old 04-27-2016, 05:38 AM

Assuming you have the H&P alarm, There are some fuses under the dash. If you get your head under there and look up the side of the foot-well above the throttle pedal you'll see the in-line fuse holders (3 I think?) sitting right up against the side with the rest of the wiring.

The main alarm unit is under the drivers seat and the CL-3 central locking controller is behind the kick panel next to the throttle pedal. If you have any problems, Hamilton & Palmer are generally very helpful, when you call ask for Jim and he'll set you right. Be aware he only works certain days though.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the fast response's. Managed to get the car started. took it out and left it running while i got a battery priced up and it just shut off soon after the alarm went off. Managed to get the car started again Then the alarm went off while i was driving and then shut down. I could here a constant clicking noise coming from behind the dash. Managed to get it home after stalling a few times and the alarm going off full blast. Is it better to get a Clifford or repair the original?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Richvow
Thanks for the fast response's. Managed to get the car started. took it out and left it running while i got a battery priced up and it just shut off soon after the alarm went off. Managed to get the car started again Then the alarm went off while i was driving and then shut down. I could here a constant clicking noise coming from behind the dash. Managed to get it home after stalling a few times and the alarm going off full blast. Is it better to get a Clifford or repair the original?
It sounds like it could be the main circuit board at fault. Does the clicking noise coincide with the indicators flashing when the alarm sounds by chance? Speak to Jim at H&P and he'll advise the best course of action and price of any replacement parts you may need.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 AM

As above. Speak to Jim. The replacement circuit board is about £215 plus a tool to make the job easier from RS Components for about a tenner. Seat out, carpet up, unscrew box, unclip circuit board, clip new board in screw it back up, fit carpet and fit seat. I'm rubbish with mechanics but I managed to do this easily inside an hour absolute maximum.

Then you're good to go for another 12 years whereas a brand new immobiliser will cost far more....
Old 04-27-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by kw_21
As above. Speak to Jim. The replacement circuit board is about £215 plus a tool to make the job easier from RS Components for about a tenner. Seat out, carpet up, unscrew box, unclip circuit board, clip new board in screw it back up, fit carpet and fit seat. I'm rubbish with mechanics but I managed to do this easily inside an hour absolute maximum.

Then you're good to go for another 12 years whereas a brand new immobilizer will cost far more....

yeah just got quoted £500 for a new system fitted from a local company. Jim was busy and the woman would not let me leave a message or my number but told me the key fobs were out of sync. When they send you a new circuit do they send out new key fobs to?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:11 AM

She's guessing! Try Jim again. He is very helpful and no one knows more about that immobiliser than him.

Yes, they send a new fob with the circuit board and instructions on how to programme your existing ones to the new board.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:53 AM

Ok for those who don't know The screws used are from RS-Components. They cost £12 free delivery. Its a tamper proof Screw driver part number 4447891.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/screwd...34343738393126

Wish they told me this when i purchased the new board from them would have saved me a lot of running around to screw fix and machine mart and a few ££.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:33 AM

Funny that, Jim advised me to get the tool, where to get it and the part number!!

Also, three posts above your latest I mentioned the tool

More to the pint, did the new board fix the issue?