UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Orange and blue coolant

Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange and blue coolant

Afternoon all, not been around for a long time as my car has been off the road for nearly 2 years ! But finally ready to get the old girl back on the road but before that thought I'd treat her to a bit of tlc .My question is last time I change the coolant in my S I used the orange Honda pre mix stuff which look just the same as what I drain out but after making a very costly visit to Honda was told its be replace with type 2 antifreeze which is blue ? am I okay using this ? as I have been told mixing is a no no anyone who can shed light on this I would be most appreciative .
Old 04-28-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

There is no orange Honda coolant.
The factory fill was green and the new long life one (type 2) is blue.
With that said color alone does not tell anything about what type of coolant it is, it's just a dye.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply , the last coolant I bought was from Honda in a Honda container and was orange so at some point they did do orange coolant . Was thinking just to be safe flushing the system before putting the new blue type 2 to get ride of the old coolant. I have read not to use tap water due to the minerals in it , is this true are just paranoya?
Old 04-28-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant09
Thanks for the reply , the last coolant I bought was from Honda in a Honda container and was orange so at some point they did do orange coolant . Was thinking just to be safe flushing the system before putting the new blue type 2 to get ride of the old coolant. I have read not to use tap water due to the minerals in it , is this true are just paranoya?
The Honda blue is what was in mine when bought and it was replaced with same 2 months ago. I was advised not to top up with water at the same time.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on a new radiator last weekend, flushed through with water and then distilled water. Couldn't get the Honda type 2 in time so went with red, OAT, NO silicate.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

yes, you really should use deionised as the coolant has an acid and buffering solution - if you put hard water in then it will "use up" some of the acid binding with the calcium, etc in the water - either that or buy the pre-mixed.

I use the water out of my de-humidifier as it's nearly pure distilled water
Old 05-01-2016, 01:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can the green original type and the new type 2 be mixed? I'm assuming it will be safe to, but would like to check.

I will try a flush with some deionised water, as well, but not sure if it will all come out!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The colour of the coolant isn't a solid indicator of what type it is or whether it will mix but generally speaking, the "old fashioned" types of IAT (inorganic additive technology) coolant are green or blue in colour and will normally mix with no problem. Whereas the newer OAT (organic additive technology) coolants found in most newer cars, which are orange/yellow/red/pink or god knows what ever colour aren't always compatible and should be replaced like for like if you're topping up.

I use Honda Type 2 in my S which is ready mixed with distilled water.

HTH
Old 05-05-2016, 04:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought my car with 7000 miles on the clock, so i would say its on origional coolant, was the older green type fluid still OAT? or was it an IAT?
Old 05-05-2016, 05:45 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

It's an OAT.

Quick Reply: Orange and blue coolant