UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake pipe rounded off!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pipe rounded off!

Hi guys, so today I thought I'd take my brake hoses off to get my car ready for the braided ones to go on but the passenger side decided it didn't wanna come off and ended up getting rounded not sure on how to procede if I'm honest, I never had any trouble with drivers side, I was also using the correct tool, it just seemed seized in!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

New pipe to go with your new hose.

Saw off & drill out of bracket.

Try not to get air into the ABS module as it's a PIA to bleed.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Me personally before mullering it anymore and making the final decision to cut it off its worth getting some freeze release type spray on the fitting and mole grips. I attempted mine on the rear and found the same. Covered them in penetrating oil and copper slip and hopefully they might come off easier one day
Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Gentle warm , and then an open ended six sided ring spanner, it will fit around pipe and give a good purchase on the nut , they have a name that eludes me at the moment , I had to get some to get pipe fittings out of the proportioning valve.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

you can use something along this line http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PC-SELF-A...oAAOSw9ZdXKg3l i use similar to these on a regular basis and have never failed yet
Old 05-04-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Same on ALL of mine. All completely seezed. After realising the spanner was doing more harm than good I ended up using two sets of stilsons and got the buggers off without butchering the hex too badly. Get yourself some stilsons to clamp on the nut and the swaged part of the hose and you'll be away. Be careful not to damage the flared end of the metal pipe though, else you'll end up like me and have to cut it off and re-flare the bastard!

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

I always wire brush before attempting releasing nuts & bolts,this allows WD40 to do its work
Old 05-04-2016, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
I always wire brush before attempting releasing nuts & bolts,this allows WD40 to do its work
I also do this as I'm used to working on Ford's so it's the first thing I do
Old 05-05-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
Gentle warm , and then an open ended six sided ring spanner, it will fit around pipe and give a good purchase on the nut , they have a name that eludes me at the moment , I had to get some to get pipe fittings out of the proportioning valve.
would
I have a couple of those and I've always just known them as brake pipe spanners. If the end is damaged I would cut and reflare with a new end before refitting the pipes to the new hose so it's good for any removal in the future.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
Flare spanner

Quick Reply: Brake pipe rounded off!