Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Fiancial/Life Advice?

Old 05-21-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
1. Go buy a legal pad and a pencil.
2. Find a cheap motel somewhere a few hours away from you, but not necessarily in a vacation spot - this time is for focusing on you, not for being a tourist.
3. Lock the door to said motel room. Only go out to get food.
4. Take the entire weekend, and write a (at least) 500 word essay answering the question "Who Am I?"
  • What are my strengths?
  • What are my weaknesses?
  • What am I passionate about?
  • What do I really hate?
  • Where am I at right now?
  • Where would I like to be? What kind of life/lifestyle do I want?
  • What do I know?
  • What do I know (that others don't)?
So on and so forth.

5. After you've done that, write down a list of careers you'd think would fit.
6. Talk to people who have been successful in those careers.
7. Start on that/those educational path(s).
8. Post up here what you're discovering along the way.

There are personality/career "tests" that really are a way of bringing to the forefront your personality matched to careers. I have seen a number of people take those and after a few fits and starts in the workplace, discover they are pretty happy doing what those profiles said they would be good at. If those profiles point to something you need to bulk up in the education department then you have an idea and goal in mind.

I would look around and take those profiles BEFORE locking yourself in the hotel room. Remember, many people don't settle into a career until they are 30 or something. Nothing is cast in stone.

One last thing I want to pass along that was great advice for me when I was your age and starting out. Save at least 10% of your income and put it away (now you have a ROTH IRA) for the rest of your life. Take another 10% or so for charity/church whatever. Take that money out before it reaches your checking account. Make it automatic so you don't think about it. The remaining 80% is the budget you should live on. It is absolutely critical to start now. Don't think you should put it off for a year. You want to be financially independent when you are ready to retire. Pack your own parachute. Be the "Richest Man in Babylon".
Good luck.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can handle shift work and are mechanically inclined, I would apply at a union hall for a trade that interests you. You can even make good money in Labor unions, but trades will always have job opportunities. There has been a growing need for good work ethic driven skilled trades. Labor unions can start off anywhere from $15/hour to $25/hour, and Trade unions are usually $20/hour to $30/hour, but can be up to $50/hour.

I was in a similar situation as you, I had straight A's in high school, and started college to become a mechanical engineer. Ended up making some poor personal choices regarding relationships and hefty speeding tickets and just stopped attending in my 4th semester in 2010. I started working in a Pulp Mill (chemical plant) for a Paper company in 2011 making $18.60/hour as a laborer with no education required other than passing a mechanical aptitude test, I progressed through the line of progression over 4 years to end up making $22.33/hour with unlimited over time. The senior guys on the top of the line of progression make $25.60/hour. I worked on average ~65 hours a week and cleared 70k every year (albeit, taxes took 45% of it), I stockpiled 15% into my 401K and the company matches the first 5%. Our schedule rotation is a 2 on 2 off with 12 hour shifts, every 2 weeks you swap from 7A-7P to 7P-7A.

You just have to have work ethic, we have been hiring for 3 years straight now and can't get people to stay, even with decent money. About 90% of the ones that make it through the interview process end up failing a drug test. Of the ones that make it through, the majority of them quit after working a few weeks of night shifts. This is just a labor union. Trade unions are even better, especially if you could end up being a lineman, instrumentation technician or welder. Our maintenance departments are always looking for skilled craft. It isn't easy money like sales is and shift hours can take a toll on you, but it is good money without requiring an education.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetysixyenko
If you can handle shift work and are mechanically inclined, I would apply at a union hall for a trade that interests you. You can even make good money in Labor unions, but trades will always have job opportunities. There has been a growing need for good work ethic driven skilled trades. Labor unions can start off anywhere from $15/hour to $25/hour, and Trade unions are usually $20/hour to $30/hour, but can be up to $50/hour.

I was in a similar situation as you, I had straight A's in high school, and started college to become a mechanical engineer. Ended up making some poor personal choices regarding relationships and hefty speeding tickets and just stopped attending in my 4th semester in 2010. I started working in a Pulp Mill (chemical plant) for a Paper company in 2011 making $18.60/hour as a laborer with no education required other than passing a mechanical aptitude test, I progressed through the line of progression over 4 years to end up making $22.33/hour with unlimited over time. The senior guys on the top of the line of progression make $25.60/hour. I worked on average ~65 hours a week and cleared 70k every year (albeit, taxes took 45% of it), I stockpiled 15% into my 401K and the company matches the first 5%. Our schedule rotation is a 2 on 2 off with 12 hour shifts, every 2 weeks you swap from 7A-7P to 7P-7A.

You just have to have work ethic, we have been hiring for 3 years straight now and can't get people to stay, even with decent money. About 90% of the ones that make it through the interview process end up failing a drug test. Of the ones that make it through, the majority of them quit after working a few weeks of night shifts. This is just a labor union. Trade unions are even better, especially if you could end up being a lineman, instrumentation technician or welder. Our maintenance departments are always looking for skilled craft. It isn't easy money like sales is and shift hours can take a toll on you, but it is good money without requiring an education.
Did I read that correctly? You're saying you dropped out of college, in part, because you got speeding tickets?
Old 06-12-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by khangaroo
I'm in the construction industry as a project engineer and I would highly recommend looking into the industry and apply for an apprenticeship through a trade - there is going to be a SEVERE lack of trades people in the coming decade. If you're ever on a construction project, take a look at the workers, there are too many old guys and not enough young guys to replace them.

There is also ample opportunity for growth and development. For example, I work for a general contractor and the majority of the subcontractor PM's that I have talked to have progressed to their position by working in the field first. Also, the union pays you to learn and then once you've maturated then you can either go to the union hall or open up your own business.

And as pay goes, it's hard to beat it if you like working with your hands. Union Carpenters make $55+, Electricians $75+, Plumbers $80+, and crane operators make $150+.

A lot of the guys only work for 10 months and spend the other 2 months hunting. Why? Because they'll always be demand when they get back into the halls. There will always be a market for a smart, hard-working trades person.

Call your local union and see what their requirements are for an apprenticeship, in some areas it's actually quite difficult to get in.

Also read The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey!!
I work in the management aspect of the construction industry and I can tell you that skilled tradesmen are in high demand AND it pays very well. This is not a bad option if you don't mind working with your hands.

Perhaps some self-discovery might help too. I glanced over many of the responses and someone mentioned tests to help you out. A common personality measure given is the Myers Briggs and there are resources out there to help you figure out what kind of job aligns with your strengths.

You can take the test here: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Then once you have your results, check out this site. After you click on your type, click on careers and it lists out some careers for you. The results from the above link will give you general ideas, but this one does list more specific careers that your type succeeds in/enjoys more. http://www.truity.com/view/types

I am 22 as well. I have a 4 year degree in Psychology, but I graduated early. I was planning on getting my PhD, but life had other plans for me. I now handle all the finances of a remodeling/renovation company and do pretty well considering my age. I self-taught my entire skill set for it. College is a good way to help you learn about yourself and get a start, but it can be costly. I think community college is a good way to save money and give you opportunities to explore, then you can always transfer to a bigger school (if desired). However, if you are motivated (like you seem to be), I think the best thing to do is just go and learn along the way. There's no better time to start than now... and it's always nice when you don't have to pay student loans! (Like me )

If you need any help with budgeting/figuring out personal finances/getting that in order, please feel free to reach out to me! I do it for work and have been working towards counseling individuals on the subject too, especially people in our age range. A lot of us are thrown into adulthood without much guidance other than "go to school" and then "go to work!" so it can be a bit overwhelming.

Or if you just need someone who is going through the same stages of life as you to just talk to... I am here for you as well. Don't be shy!

I wish you the best of luck!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work in aircraft maintenance, and I just figured I would chime in because I know it's an industry a lot of people forget about. Granted it very well may not be for you, but it doesn't hurt to shed light on it. I went to school for 16 months, graduated at 19, had 6 job offers within the first month of graduating. The starting pay isn't that great. For airlines, which is where I'm at, regionals will start around 16-17 maybe up to 21 in high cost locations. Regional top out is usually 25-30 in 7-10 years. But you can get into major airlines with anywhere north of 1 year of regional experience. They start anywhere from 27-30, and top out anywhere in the 40's, some in the 50's from my understanding. You can get an A&P (airframe and powerplant) certificate at anywhere from 6k to 35k depending on where you go. It's not an industry for everyone, it's fast paced and kinda f***ed up at times, but I love airplanes and love my job most days. Just some food for thought, because I personally think being an auto mechanic would be a dreadful job. Also, the flight benefits are pretty nice. Coworker of mine just took his whole family to Ireland yesterday and paid only international tax, my fiancé and I are going to Miami next weekend for $0.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:47 PM

i got a 4 yr degree, working as a chemist, making decent money, but studying to go to pharmacy school. id say if you aint got time to go back to get a tradiational degree, you can get certifications...also, you can look into taking classes for your undergraduate, but at a slower pace. one or 2 classes a semester...back when i was in my undergrad, i often saw and knew working professionals with families taking night classes...

if you need to talk more about this mongomery, PM me, i can possibly help you out, i helped a friend when she felt hopless all she had was a HS diploma, a series of bad choices and 2 kids with no baby daddy..now shes finishing her masters, doing fantastic, sons are geniuses, being raised in a great environment. hit me up
Old 09-16-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

It's not glamorous, but companies are always hiring accountants and if you can already handle 50-60 hour work weeks you can handle the biggest hurdle for most new hires at a Big 4 firm. The education is fairly easy too, at least compared to engineering and comp-sci.

Originally Posted by peiserg
Originally Posted by ninetysixyenko' timestamp='1463973853' post='23973813

Did I read that correctly? You're saying you dropped out of college, in part, because you got speeding tickets?
Also said taxes took 45% of his income, which is odd at $70k
Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mongomery1234
Kind of an off the wall post here but I'm looking for some advice from the good people of S2KI. Background info..Currently 22 and work a job at a contact center for roadside assistance. Going on 1 1/2 years with the same company and had 1 promotion from 10/hour to 11.70/hour. Very good at the job I do and greatly enjoy helping people but I fear I could be on a dead end road as far as advancement. Currently I work 70+ hours a week give or take with maybe 1 day off every few months and its starting to take its toll. What are the hot spots in the job market currently? I cant make less than I do now to comfortably support my family but I want to get in a position where there's a decent amount of opportunity.. Where I am now there's not much from where I am and the people that hold higher positions rarely tend to leave although the business is growing and will possibly open more choices? Considered going to school also but kind of clueless on the subject also. Did very well back in high school/ACT ect just kind of made the wrong choices getting out of school. Would greatly appreciate any feedback!
If you want to stay in the same role, there are a lot of openings for that in Monster. For example in freight forwarding companies where you will mostly be doing the same work. You can also work in telecommunications / customer service, but you will need to be ready to work nights on that. If you are a quick learner, you may want to go into admin too - if you are computer savvy and get easily work your ways around the computer. A lot of companies offer this - do not go for the multi-million companies right away - start off with the medium enterprises, work your way up or at least gain some experience and then start exploring bigger companies in a year or 2. That's what I would do, but that is just me. Keep your options open, know what you can do and what roles those skills of yours would fit. Oh and make sure you tell your good friends that you are in the market - more often than not - referrals are the best sources.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, try some trading with cryptocurrency. Buy some, let it sit for a week because they typically go up. Obviously bow the low, sell the high I think its a great boost to anyone.