S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

How do the OE Bridgestone RE50s fair on track?

Old 05-16-2016, 03:53 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default How do the OE Bridgestone RE50s fair on track?

I'm about to do my first track day in the S2000 (UK spec MY2005 "AP2").

The car is completely stock apart from having changed the hoses, pads and fluid to my preferred items (Goodridge, Pagid RS29 and Castrol SRF).

I am an experienced track day person, but have zero knowledge / experience of these Bridgestone tyres. My normal track car runs Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, which give amazing grip and don't go off at all with the correct pressures (32psi hot).

Can anyone who has tracked their car with the standard tyres (215 / 245s) give me a heads-up of what to expect / what are the best pressures to run them at and how they are likely to perform?

Once these have worn out (they're virtually new), I will be looking to change the tyres for something more suited to track, but again this is my first S2000, so not sure what to go for (keeping the OE AP2 V1 wheels)?
Old 05-16-2016, 05:09 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I would start with around 32 psi cold. I think you are going to be disappointed in the grip these tires provide as compared to Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. With that being said you dance with the one you brung, so you will still have a great time just attempting to keep those tires happy.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut
I would start with around 32 psi cold. I think you are going to be disappointed in the grip these tires provide as compared to Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. With that being said you dance with the one you brung, so you will still have a great time just attempting to keep those tires happy.
Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a whirl. What hot pressure am I aiming for?

I realised that being OE, the Bridgestones were going to be out of their depth on track, I just wasn't sure by how much (the only Bridgestones I have experience of is the RE71s and that was 20 years ago). Not many tyres live with the Cups, although the Cup 2s are nowhere near as good, so will be trying the Trofeo Rs next - sadly not available in S2000 sizes.

Would you be able to advise a good replacement (road legal) tyre for track use in the OE sizes?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:08 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

35 hot. Id start at 30 cold
Old 05-16-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I've been running the OE RE050 in autocross this last season or so. Usually start around 32psi cold all around and adjust through the day. While their overall grip levels are no where near the top tires these days (RE71r, RivalS), they break away very progressively. Sidewalls are stiff and provide good steering feel and feedback. They will begin to squeal long before they let go. Even as they wear down close to the wear bars grip levels remain decent. Not a bad tire, but definitely not even close to the fastest. IMO, a great tire to learn the S2000 on.

EDIT: Want to add that my car is bone stock with exception to an alignment, intake, and brake lines.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Speed6
I've been running the OE RE050 in autocross this last season or so. Usually start around 32psi cold all around and adjust through the day. While their overall grip levels are no where near the top tires these days (RE71r, RivalS), they break away very progressively. Sidewalls are stiff and provide good steering feel and feedback. They will begin to squeal long before they let go. Even as they wear down close to the wear bars grip levels remain decent. Not a bad tire, but definitely not even close to the fastest. IMO, a great tire to learn the S2000 on.

EDIT: Want to add that my car is bone stock with exception to an alignment, intake, and brake lines.
You were right - what a lovely progressive break-away. I settled at 34 psi hot and they were just awesome fun. They lacked out-right grip, but you could confidently push the car way past the tyre's grip limits without fear that it was going to snap. The slides once the grip levels were breached, were completely controllable and SO much fun.

Also, despite having standard suspension the car was amazingly throttle adjustable (albeit very roly-poly LOL). I can imagine that with proper suspension, this car would be even more of a hoot - especially being able to carry more corner speed as well .

I forgot to add that the rear brakes are rubbish (I had read that, but had no idea quite how bad they were until this, my first track day). Despite having around 10mm of (standard) pad left on them (which I thought would be more than enough for a track evening), they were down to the metal an hour before the end of the event, which cut short the track time for me. Snetterton is quite hard on brakes (hence the upgrade on the fronts with new discs, Pagid RS29s, hoses and Cartrol SRF brake fluid), with two 120mph braking zones (one to around 80mph and one to 65mph). I also lost a centre cap off the front due to excessive heat (so I know to remove those PRIOR to track in future ). Lessons learned.