UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Seat Modifications - possible retrim

Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat Modifications - possible retrim

Just after some advice on re-trimming a seat.

Having recently changed direction a little on which way I am going with my current 'track car' I've decided to fit the OEM seats back into the car. The problem for me is that they aren't supportive enough and they sit too high, but as there are more and more of these getting broken and crap seats are cheap to come by I figured modifying the OEM seats might be enough to give me the support and driving position I want.

So yesterday I took the seat apart and removed the foam cushioning from the centre of the back panel and was surprised by how easy it was to do and how much more support it gave to me in the seat. Likewise with the base of the seat, I took the foam out, cut a chunk out where you sit and it gives me the same seating position as the bucket seat that I had in there. Now I know you can get modified rails that give you an even lower position.

This leaves me with a seat that gives a great seating position and support, that fits the OEM belt, can take a harness with a little modification and is easy to get in and out of. The only con for this is that it doesn't look great so I was wondering how much I would be looking at to get the seat leather modified to fit the new shape of the foam, whether it was something anyone else on here was interested in and maybe getting a group buy on (subject to forum rules obviously)

I'll get some photos up this week hopefully.

But if you are looking at getting a more supportive seat I would urge you to remove the foam from the centre of the seat upright and see just how much extra room and support it gives you, it can easily be put back in.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting. Isn´t the leather a big more saggy now though?
looking forward to seeing pics
Old 05-23-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im pretty sure thats what he's said, that it doesnt look great because its had loads of foam removed!

sounds interesting, it could be a good one!
Old 08-11-2016, 04:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Any updates (pictures) for this ?

I have been considering doing something g similar for years now ! the std seat has too much lumbar support for me.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is quite a common modification in MX5 circles - known in those parts as a foamectamy - although it's mostly done on the cloth seats, it may be worth looking to see if anyone has done it to, and had similar problems with, the leather seats, and if so, whether they came up with an easy remedy.