Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

The Manga Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Manga Thread

I have been hitting the manga hard recently while "working" in the office, lol. So what are you guys reading, and what are your favorites? Also, list your recommendations here too. I'll try and keep this updated with what I have read and my reviews and recommendations as well.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:51 AM

So this got moved to the movie section huh? I didn't know reading manga was considered watching a movie.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

TV, movies, anime, sock puppets.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:55 AM

Okay, I will try this again as there's views but no replies.

I have read through an unbelievable amount of manga since the start of the year. I previously only had the pleasure of reading Lone Wolf and Cub, which I ended up collecting the series. I followed that up with a bit of Samurai Executioner, but didn't get the chance to complete that collection. Since my buddy tipped me to a manga app, I was finally able to read everything I've watched in the past, and then some. The beauty of having access to hundreds, possibly thousands of mangas has broadened my horizons with regards to taste. Here is a list of some of mangas I have read, and I am sure a lot of you will be familiar with some, and probably not familiar at all with others.

Mainstream
Naruto
Fairy Tale
One Piece
Initial D
Ruroni Kenshin
Toukyo Kushu
Re: Tokyo Ghoul
Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)

Action/Feudal Era
Gamaran
Shinobi no Kuni
Samurai Legend
Y+M
Basilisk
Brave 10
Brave 10S
Vagabond(on going and based off Eiji Yoshikawa's novel Musashi)
Sidooh
Hana no Keiji
Blazing Nobunaga
Peace Maker

Horror/Suspense
Battle Royal
I am a Hero
Monster
EX
Apocalypse no Toride
Otogi Matsuri (Dark Offering)

Science Fiction
2001 Nights
2001+5 Nights
Kodaku Experiment
Saber Tiger
Stardust Memories
The Legendary Musings of Professor Munakata
Btooom!
Terra Formers
Inherit the Stars

Slice of Life
Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
Sanctuary
Rikudou (boxing manga)
RRR (boxing manga)
20th Century Boys
21st Century Boys
Old 06-30-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure you have watched the anime, but have you read the Dragon Ball manga series? The anime is fantastic, but the manga may be even better. That's my go-to if I want to kill time at work. I can never get enough of the Dragon Ball series.

My current favorite series is One Punch Man (see avatar). The humor is great, the action, the art, and the concept behind the series is super goofy (in a good way).

Another one that I enjoy is Shokugeki no Soma. It's a cooking series that adds a lot of humor, but really details the technical side of the culinary world.

If you like sports manga, the absolute go-to for me is Slam Dunk. A basketball manga that is realistic and doesn't go full blown anime (I love it, but Prince of Tennis gets pretty ridiculous). It's a humorous read, but truly maintains the integrity of basketball.

Other sports mangas: Eyeshield 21, Kuroko no Basket, Prince of Tennis ("New Prince of Tennis" is the continued series),
Old 07-05-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My favorites are Vinland Saga, Gantz, and the breaker/new wave (Korean manhwa)
Old 07-11-2016, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Breyeun
I'm sure you have watched the anime, but have you read the Dragon Ball manga series? The anime is fantastic, but the manga may be even better. That's my go-to if I want to kill time at work. I can never get enough of the Dragon Ball series.

My current favorite series is One Punch Man (see avatar). The humor is great, the action, the art, and the concept behind the series is super goofy (in a good way).

Another one that I enjoy is Shokugeki no Soma. It's a cooking series that adds a lot of humor, but really details the technical side of the culinary world.

If you like sports manga, the absolute go-to for me is Slam Dunk. A basketball manga that is realistic and doesn't go full blown anime (I love it, but Prince of Tennis gets pretty ridiculous). It's a humorous read, but truly maintains the integrity of basketball.

Other sports mangas: Eyeshield 21, Kuroko no Basket, Prince of Tennis ("New Prince of Tennis" is the continued series),
I've got to read One Punch Man at some point. It sounds good and others have also recommended it.

I have also been recommended Slam Dunk, so I am sure I will get to that at some point. The only sports manga I read is Rikudo, but it's more of a drama mixed with boxing. Prince of Tennis was another one that I was interested in reading.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by nb12
My favorites are Vinland Saga, Gantz, and the breaker/new wave (Korean manhwa)
I've got to read Vinland Saga and Gantz. I started to read Gantz but got pulled into something else at the time. I think it was One Piece. lol
Old 07-11-2016, 04:55 AM

The last manga I read was Billy Bat by Urasawa. It was a really great manga and if you read the description, it ends up being way deeper than what is listed. It starts off being about a Japanese-American comic artist in the 1920's, and he finds out his famous comic Billy Bat may have been subconsciously taken from an image he saw while in Japan. He goes back to Japan to find the truth or origin of the image, and it leads into a deep conspiracy. There are lots of key events in history that find there ways into this manga, and Urasawa did a fantastic job. It's still on going, so I don't know how it ends.

I highly recommend all of Urasawa's work to you guys. Monster and Pluto are probably my favorites of his, followed by Billy Bat.

The manga I am reading currently is Zetman. It took a bit to get the main plot going, but it has been a pretty enjoyable read. This one borders on the science fiction side, with a bit of horror. Depending on how the rest of the series plays out, I can see this going to anime and possibly even movies as Zetman is an intriguing character.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:18 AM

Finished up Zetman and it was getting really good before I got caught up on the series. It's still on going, so I won't know what happens until new releases are uploaded.

Currently reading Heat by Buronson. I love his other work so I was glad to find this one online as well on mangago. The other site I visit didn't have this series. It's still on going as well, but I got 28 chapters of yakuza goodness to go through. This one feels like it was done before Sanctuary, as the art is not as sharp and the dialogue seems like the mangaka is still getting his footing. Only a few chapters in, but enjoyable so far.

Quick Reply: The Manga Thread