S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Need high bite brake pads

Old 06-01-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Need high bite brake pads

I know, I know its bad form to try to find a "crossover" pad, and I should just commit to two sets of brake pads. However as I am enjoying more track days, I am not street driving all that much. So my needs for a pad with street manners have been dissipating. What has moved to the priority is a pad with higher level of bite. I need enough cold bite to do a small amount of street driving, but really we are talking about moderate to high temperature bite. I feel pretty good about my ability to modulate the brakes so even a brake pad that can be described as "grabby" would be OK.

On the S2k I have been on stock and EBC yellows. I actually liked the yellows, they hold way more heat than the stockers, however I torched them in two track days and they still don't have the bite I am looking for. The yellows had better than stock CF but not THAT much better.

So I can't say i am looking for an all-out race pad, just a mild to moderate track pad where high friction is a priority.

It would also be nice if they didn't break the bank... I have not used Hawk HP plus in years, how do they work on the S2k?
Old 06-01-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

HP+ worked fine for me on my stock S2k. Plenty grabby, fine in the cold. But, noisy and very very dusty on the street.

IMO, Carbotech XP8 or XP10 actually make decent "street" pads. They dust a lot less and it's easier to clean up. They can be noisy but usually quiet down after the first track event. I have XP10s on my FD as street/track pads now.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:43 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you can do "a small amount of street driving" on any pad you want. It's not like you won't be able to stop the car with cold race pads. They'll just potentially growl, squeal, dust, and chew rotors.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:49 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

I use Hawk HP Plus all year round. You will learn to drive with them as and when you have to drive on the street.

Note: I don't drive my car to work. It is usually reserved for after work outings, and weekend drives on back roads when I am not using it for autocross or DE's
Old 06-01-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Yes, but Aashish's car squeals so loudly that I keep looking back for the piglet I just ran over. He needs to put a heavy dose of that anti-squeal compound on the backing plates (if that's what you call those little aluminum things).

Just saying, because your girlfriend won't be riding in the car with you anymore. Which is maybe a good thing because my +1 keeps yelling at me to slow down!

For a street pad, I'd find the Carbotech XP-10 too aggressive. Bite's too hard.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

The HP+ are very abrasive, they are noisy and dust a shit load and will grind through your rotors in no time. If your willing to live with those compromises, they bite much better then stock in the cold for street and as a moderate track pad. They stop very well. I have run them in both scenarios and just cant live with the compromises, so it will have to be back to OEM pads for me and swap over to dedicate track pads for road course days. No cheating, too many compromises to run one pad for street and track if you want to do well in either situation.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I do very little street driving recently, mostly to and from the track but the XP10/8 combo has treated me AND my wheels very well.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i recently had the club racers and they bite well. i switched back to carbotech xp10 and they squeel again.

i will be going back to club racers.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

I used XP10/XP8 on my s2000 for street and track the first two years of ownership, averaging 12-15 track days and around 20K street miles a year. Bedded correctly, I didn't have any noise issues other than some light squeaking.

Since upgrading to a BBK, I now run P-mu HC800+.

When these wear out, i'm probably going to look at offerings from Pagid.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Here is a question, if you run OEM pads, its the same compound front and rear. Same it seems for most people running HP plus, PMU HC800, Fedoro 2500 etc.. However when it comes to Carbotech, it seems EVERYONE runs a less aggressive compound in the rear. Why??? Its always XP10/XP8 or XP12/XP10. Is it because most people running these pads have gone to a square setup?

I have always run matched compounds and can't say I have any bias complaints. But I am also on OEM sized ES tires.

Quick Reply: Need high bite brake pads