Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Mount St. Helens Spirit Lake Highway Drive to Johnston Ridge

Old 06-05-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mount St. Helens Spirit Lake Highway Drive to Johnston Ridge

Thanks to all 8 of us that went in five vehicles (4 S2000's..and.. a KIA..I lent to my roommate and his girlfriend who went with us). Then left a pool...of water bigger than I'd ever seen..thankfully water instead of coolant as it had a new radiator put in just a week before after spewing coolant everywhere.

All 8 of us ended up hiking to Harry's Ridge, where it was raining and cold... and a fogged in view of the massive Spirit Lake (looked never ending in the fog), but there was at least a weather station!

Pictures will be to come, but there aren't too many that I took, because I have pictures like the..below..and then some..from sunnier days.

And by the way if anyone is looking to do another drive soon (possibly this weekend!), I'm up for another! As long as it doesn't take all week to organize..thinking of doing..the North Cascades Highway all the way up to Washington Pass! A two and a half hour drive each way from the Lynnwood/Mill Creek, or 3 hours from Seattle.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:36 AM

Pictures from 2015 Mount St. Helens Cruise:

untitled shoot-2457 by S2000 Photography, on Flickr

untitled
shoot-2423 by S2000 Photography, on Flickr

untitled shoot-2404 by S2000 Photography, on Flickr

untitled shoot-2435 by S2000 Photography, on Flickr

untitled shoot-2448-Pano by S2000 Photography, on Flickr

untitled shoot-2479-Pano by S2000 Photography, on Flickr

Please post below if interested in the 2016 annual July summer drive!
Last year we had about ten cars, this year I expect more. 2014 we had over 20!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:07 AM

Interested!
Old 06-06-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in!

Going (s2ki Washington list):
1. EricJT7
2. Spets
3. Fourstar91
Old 06-06-2016, 04:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tentative, I'll be able to say within the next couple weeks. I've had a good time the past couple years and I don't want to miss it! Although I hope the weather isn't going to be a scorching 95+ again like was last year haha
Old 06-07-2016, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 0bsolete
Tentative, I'll be able to say within the next couple weeks. I've had a good time the past couple years and I don't want to miss it! Although I hope the weather isn't going to be a scorching 95+ again like was last year haha

Last year it was approaching 100 degrees at the pizza stop in Castle Rock. We will have to wait and see, but if it is going to be that warm might we might want to bring our swimsuits and towels and jump in Coldwater Lake not too far down from the observatory.

Edit: The drive is now a week away and the forecast is currently calling for rain showers and highs in the mid 60's.
I will be keeping a close eye on the forecast to keep us updated!

Here is the link to the weather forecast for Toutle, Washington, which is along the Spirit Lake Highway.

https://weather.com/...e+WA+98649:4:US
Old 07-03-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the weather holds and it doesn't rain. I would like to make this drive!
Old 07-03-2016, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by jmarks23
I hope the weather holds and it doesn't rain. I would like to make this drive!
EDIT/Update:

The forecast has been consistently calling for cool temperatures Sunday, but the chance of showers for the Seattle area, Portland area, and closest weather station to the Mount St. Helens valley along spirit Lake Highway has been fluctuating from a 20%-60% chance of rain, and we could have anything from overcast/cloudy-partly cloudy/mostly sunny skies. Saturday is supposed to be rainy at this point for the first half of the weekend, but Sunday is looking drier for the drive!

Link to (always updated)/ CURRENT Forecast:
(As of Friday 7/8/16, 4:50PM): Cloudy, 68 Degrees F. Valley High --Observatory at Johnston Ridge will be Cooler (Expect ~50's-60 tops for a high up there, bring a jacket, may be breezy)!-- , 20%-40% Chance of Rain Showers

https://weather.com/...e+WA+98649:4:US

There are at least a few interested on facebook that should be going, some of us may be hiking so if you're interested in doing that there is an $8 fee for every three people going just like going into the observatory and bring a jacket, water, snack food/lunch, and hiking boots/shoes that can at least get dirty that you can hike in if wanting to hike with us!).
Old 07-08-2016, 10:56 AM

Bump, as we are now within 48 hours of the start of this drive from Gee Cee's Truck Stop, I am going to say the weather will likely be as follows, though I will keep updating it every 12 hours or less:

Seattle area:
High of ~70, Partly Cloudy, 30% Chance of Showers.

Toutle, WA along Spirit Lake Highway:
High of 65-70 Degrees F. Cloudy, ~20%-40% Chance of rain showers.
Portland, Oregon:
High of ~70. Mostly Cloudy-Overcast, ~40% Chance of light rain showers.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:02 AM

This drive is officially a go for tomorrow, I will *not* cancel now that we are down to 24 hours. The weather, though, is not advertised to be perfect, at least especially up at the mountain/Johnston Ridge Observatory. So if you're one of those who do not wish the car to see any rain, you are not obligated to go! Though we made it up to Mount Baker while it was snowing at the ski area and still had a good time. The first year we did this drive it rained a little on our drive, and we still had a great time.

Regardless of how many show up, I'll have my camera with me to take pictures. And will be hiking the trail to Harry's Ridge from the Johnston Ridge Observatory.

My original post got lost in the midst of editing about a week ago, but there is an $8 fee to hike the trail, or go into the observatory. One pass is good for every three people. There is no fee or pass required to park, however. If you have a national monument/national park pass that is valid, bring it as it will waive the fee required to go inside the observatory (or even up to depending on how the rangers are feeling if present). If hiking the trail, the pass is absolutely mandatory and a fine can be given if caught without one.

There will be one premeet point, Ash Way Park and Ride. If showing up, please be try to get there by 7:15am so we can have everyone who is meeting there and leave by 7:30am for Gee Cee's Truck Stop. I will not plan on waiting around there too long, so if you miss that or live south of the Mill Creek/Lynnwood area meet us straight at the truck stop (Gee Cee's Truck Stop) down in Toledo, WA off exit 57! We should be down there just before 10am.

Quick Reply: Mount St. Helens Spirit Lake Highway Drive to Johnston Ridge