JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Can You Identify This Bumper

Old 06-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by mmap1
Yeah I looked at the uninstalled rear bumper I have as well which says AIT. As far as aero goes, there's nowhere near enough downforce to upset the rear end. And maybe three bars is the norm for the s2k, but I'd bet it still cools better than stock and most aftermarket bumpers.
If it is "not enough downforce to upset the balance of the car" then I would be shocked if what you are feeling is caused by the bumper at all.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TEASPOONGUY
The bumper will help with front end down force by lifting the rear, making your rear unstable at speeds. This will also cause the car to over steer. These bumpers were designed to be balanced with a wing if you are going to be going into high speeds; or you will notice how fast you will wrap it around a tree.

With a OEM bumper your vehicle should also not go past 3 bars.
Eh? Are you saying this front bumper is some how going to generate more rear lift? Am I missing something here? A front bumper with more elaborate integrated splitter may generate some more front downforce or reduce front lift, but it isn't really going to increase rear lift. If anything it might decrease rear lift a little bit since less air is getting under the car and making it to the rear and getting trapped. It could definitely change the balance and add more front grip, but saying it is "lifting the rear" and reducing rear grip isn't really accurate. You still have the same amount of grip in the rear as before, you just now have extra front grip.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C west bumper was designed, and proven to increase front downforce. So whether I feel the downforce or not, it does provide downforce on paper. As Andrew stated, assuming no rear spoiler would offset the balance of the car, isn't accurate whatsoever.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

basic downforce

Front end downforce by protruding the area of pressure (Splitters, extended bumpers) will cause the car to over-steer. The front end pressure will lift the rear through corners.

Rear End downforce by raising a plane for area of attack (GT Wings) will allow pressure to press the rear down; thus bringing the tires down to the ground.

Drag: Undertrays, and diffusers are meant to prevent the cause of drag. Together form clean air flow under the car and a low pressure system (A front bumper alone will not allow this) ultimately also causing downforce. Trunk link spoilers are to help clean air flow over the rear of the car assisting in less drag.

Trapping air pressure on AOA's will effectively bring the car closer to the ground, and more tire contact. This is what allows you to round corners at high speeds. Its all about grip, and reaching the lbs of pressure. This is vehicle harmonics, and understanding it is what will allow you to have a high speed straight line, and high speed corner. take a 500 lb car that produces 500 lbs of DF. then at speed generating that that DF (which it is built to do) the car can drive on ceiling.

If you want more basic info
http://www.up22.com/Aerodynamics.htm
Old 11-01-2016, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I understand the concept of downforce, and the balance between front and rear downforce on a car. That being said, the front bumper makes absolutely no difference in the balance of a street driven car. My advan rg2 255/40/17 square setup makes the car extremely oversteer prone (much more than that bumper ever could, at every speed), and I still have no need to slap an ironing board to my trunk.