S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Ohlins DFV Installation and Review

Old 06-13-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ohlins DFV Installation and Review

Hey everyone,

I know there are a few of these out there, but I wanted to give some insight into my experience with the Ohlins DFV suspension for my 2005 AP2.

With this build, I wanted to make sure I had all of the foundation for the car done first, and done right. Aside from replacing the stock exhaust, suspension was the first thing I wanted to take care of. Since I mainly daily my car (when it's not the winter), I wanted to find something that was capable for daily duties, but could still hold up when I decided to venture to the track, or head out to one of the many amazing roads British Columbia has to offer. After doing some research, the Ohlins seemed to check all the boxes, so I bit the bullet and placed my order. I bought the car with a Koni/Swift set up, so I wasn't starting with a stock set-up for comparison.

I want to say thanks to Patrick @ URGE; you were awesome to deal with in regards to shipping to the US border, and I was very impressed with the speed and service. 10/10 would purchase from you again!

I'm not going to go into huge detail about the process of installing the suspension; there are tons of threads for that However, I really appreciate how tidy everything was sorted in the packaging:

Ohlins DFV Installation and Review-ezkhccf.jpg

Piecing it together was a lot of fun - most of the suspension I've bought previous for my other cars (Evo 8, GRB STI) came all put together. After a little while, and a whole lot of double checking, things went on pretty smoothly:

Ohlins DFV Installation and Review-euj4wwf.jpg

I did my best to measure and re-measure as much as possible, and followed a fellow S2ki'ers recommendation of setting pre-load after you get the suspension mounted up. All in all, the whole process was simple, and straight forward.

After a few minor adjustments and an alignment, I was left with this:
Ohlins DFV Installation and Review-t8b9n6x.png Ohlins DFV Installation and Review-upxgjiz.png

I went for a fairly conservative drop, as I didn't want to deal with rubbing or anything like that. I've had stupid low cars in the past and I quick enjoy driving aggressively without the worry of rubbing. For those who are wondering:

Camber: I've running about -2.3 in the front and -3.8 in the back. Zero toe around - trying to save those tires!
Wheel Specs: 17x8 +45 Desmon Regamaster MP Front 17x9 +45 Enkei RPF1 Rear (I like mismatched )
Tire Specs: 215/45/17 RE71R F 245/40/17 RE71R R

Overall driving impressions - WOW!

It was a significant change; the overall feel, how it cornered, how it handled everyday bumps, etc. The car feels extremely planted, and running 10 clicks up from full soft seems to work well. The TL;DR of this - if you are looking for the perfect suspension for daily driving, with potential track use I would highly recommend the Ohlins DFV. Totally worth the money!

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

From full hard is recommended,or is this a typo error
Have mine 11R/12F from full stiff and found this the best yet
Good choice
Old 06-13-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my next purchase for this car. Thanks for your review
Old 06-13-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Why so much camber in the rears with that wheel/tire setup?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
From full hard is recommended,or is this a typo error
Have mine 11R/12F from full stiff and found this the best yet
Good choice
Yes sorry! I should edit
Old 06-13-2016, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by CarAholic
This will be my next purchase for this car. Thanks for your review
Great choice! Make sure you reach out to Patrick @ URGE!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Orjinal
I was surprised with how wide the RE71R run on a 9" wheel. Playing it safe with the ride height that I'm at!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice, come cruising with us this Saturday!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:15 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by clubmagicdrive
Originally Posted by Orjinal' timestamp='1465865266' post='23992548
I was surprised with how wide the RE71R run on a 9" wheel. Playing it safe with the ride height that I'm at!

71R's run skinny. I ran -3 all around with my 17x9 +45 and 255/40 combo.

I also run -3 with my 17x10 +50 and 255 combo.

I'm curious how you got -3.8 degrees of camber with 0 toe. Adjustable upper joints?

I also love my Öhlins. Good choice.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently picked up some Ohlins as well, waiting on some CCW wheels to do the install, I'm psyched! Glad to hear you like yours.

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV Installation and Review