S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

"New" trans already grinding

Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "New" trans already grinding

Hey guys, less than a week ago I put in a competition stage 2 clutch and a transmission I bought from the previous owner of my car. He said it had around 30k miles on it. Installation was a b*tch but it's in. When I carry 2nd gear out to red line and try to shift to 3rd it grinds pretty bad and I need to wait a second to put it in. Do you guys think he screwed me and gave me a bad trans or what? I have an AP1 btw. 78K miles on it
Old 06-17-2016, 11:04 PM

Does it grind much at all when you don't quite redline? Even when I drive the ap1 spiritedly and go into vtec, I don't typically go all the way up to 9k., maybe 8. If it is only grinding when you are at full throttle while ringing it out fully to redline it is quite possible the previous owner wasn't even aware if he didn't regularly redline the car. Just a thought, odds are less than 50/50 that he knowingly screwed you. Though I don't know the seller and I can't tell how bad it is grinding, under what exact circumstances (other than what you described at redline).
Old 06-17-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Have you replaced Diff oil recently ? <yes diff oil> mine was only 10k old
Helped my gear change a lot, I used a mineral oil, 90 for LSD
Old 06-18-2016, 02:38 AM

Received 1,304 Likes on 987 Posts

What did you use to grease the splines when you put in the clutch? What other spots did you grease?

Do you have power adders? (FI, NOS, etc?) Why did you go with that clutch?

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 06-18-2016, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by EricJT7
Does it grind much at all when you don't quite redline? Even when I drive the ap1 spiritedly and go into vtec, I don't typically go all the way up to 9k., maybe 8. If it is only grinding when you are at full throttle while ringing it out fully to redline it is quite possible the previous owner wasn't even aware if he didn't regularly redline the car. Just a thought, odds are less than 50/50 that he knowingly screwed you. Though I don't know the seller and I can't tell how bad it is grinding, under what exact circumstances (other than what you described at redline).
It won't grind at all other than when I redline it
Old 06-18-2016, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
What did you use to grease the splines when you put in the clutch? What other spots did you grease?

Do you have power adders? (FI, NOS, etc?) Why did you go with that clutch?

Other guy greased it up for me but the splines were greased and that's about it, I don't have any real power adders just the basic intake and exhaust. And I went with the stage 2 as I wanted a harder catch as I plan to turbo sometime in the future.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by AlexSobe614
Other guy greased it up for me but the splines were greased and that's about it, I don't have any real power adders just the basic intake and exhaust. And I went with the stage 2 as I wanted a harder catch as I plan to turbo sometime in the future.
If the wrong grease is used, or wrong amount, the clutch disk wont slide freely on the splines, and it will not fully release, which will result in gear grinds.

But, another thought. How long did you drive to break in the new clutch?

Initially the disk will not be perfectly flat, so there can be very slight high spots that could cause some drag, which is similar to clutch not fully releasing, and also cause grinds. If you didnt drive nice and easy for like 500 miles or so, not all highway, plenty of gentle clutch engagements to wear the disk flat, this could be your issue.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
If the wrong grease is used, or wrong amount, the clutch disk wont slide freely on the splines, and it will not fully release, which will result in gear grinds.

But, another thought. How long did you drive to break in the new clutch?

Initially the disk will not be perfectly flat, so there can be very slight high spots that could cause some drag, which is similar to clutch not fully releasing, and also cause grinds. If you didnt drive nice and easy for like 500 miles or so, not all highway, plenty of gentle clutch engagements to wear the disk flat, this could be your issue.

It may be the clutch then, as I have put 300 miles on it but most are highway miles. Would this lead it to just grind for 2nd to 3rd though?
Old 06-18-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

Hey guys, less than a week ago I put in a competition stage 2 clutch and a transmission I bought from the previous owner of my car. He said it had around 30k miles on it. Installation was a b*tch but it's in. When I carry 2nd gear out to red line and try to shift to 3rd it grinds pretty bad and I need to wait a second to put it in. Do you guys think he screwed me and gave me a bad trans or what? I have an AP1 btw. 78K miles on it
Did you have grinding issues, prior to going to the Stage 2 clutch?
Old 06-19-2016, 04:09 AM

It may be the clutch then, as I have put 300 miles on it but most are highway miles. Would this lead it to just grind for 2nd to 3rd though?
2nd & 3rd are most likely gears to feel grind. So, yeah, quite possibly.

Quick Reply: "New" trans already grinding