California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

How sad do you get if you have to sell your S2000?

Old 06-21-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How sad do you get if you have to sell your S2000?

I've owned my '01 silverstone metallic for 9 yrs and have loved and still love driving it. I've forced my girlfriend to bundle up and drive with the top down (I keep a blanket in the car for her) and have amazing memories of blasting along PCH, Marin, Peninsula, and all around CA. I'm amazed that 9 yrs later I still crave to hop in the car, crank the tunes and just drive.

I really thought I'd keep the car forever (heck the thing is a collectible now so why not!?), but I just got married and we have no space for the car. I even offered to give it to my Dad to 'keep it in the family' but he can't drive it. So alas, I have had to put it up for sale.

Funny thing is, I've been telling everyone how much I'm going to miss the car. And I keep telling everyone about how special the car really is. I spent over an hour writing a passionate blurb on craigslist about how amazing the car is. I'm now trying to find every excuse to enjoy the car before it actually goes. I had no idea 'letting go' would be like this. I always thought people who were into cars just traded up all the time so you don't really care about parting ways with the old one. So yeah, kind of a surprise.

I assume there are others who've grown attached to their S2000s, but I guess I took it for granted until I realized I would be letting mine gone. Enjoy it while you can! Lol.

We have a Honda Fit as our daily driver, so if you ever see a driver in a grey Honda Fit wave at an S2000, just know I'm not crazy and that it's a former owner still with a lotta love.

PS. if interested, the car is listed in the classified section
Old 06-21-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't sell it!!! Save yourself the trouble, I can see into your future and you will buy another one one day...
Old 06-21-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process of getting my AP2 ready to sell. Honestly, I'm not that sad about it at all. I owned a 2001 AP1 from 2007 until 2013, and then I picked up my 06 AP2 shortly after. I've had my fun with the car and they were probably the best pick for a daily driven track car, but once I picked up a dedicated DD, it started losing it's appeal. I've always wanted an FD and I've moved on. The FD right now is everything and more that I've been looking for. I've also never driven an S in stock form, so my AP2 right now feels lame, which just makes me want to get rid of it sooner.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had mine for almost 8 years. Many times I have posted my 2004 Silverstone Metallic for sale and ended up taking it off craigslist, as well gotten my full offer and having to tell the buyer "I'm sorry, I changed my mind and no longer am selling it, good luck on your find." Lol. All in all, I've owned and driven many other cars, yet there isn't anything as fun and reliable as this. I have an Acura TL as my beater but the S2000 roadster is such a better car when it comes down to parking in SF which this car can fit into many tight spaces. No need for Smart cars or Mini Cooper. Lol. Best of all, it's always top-down going to work and after work; my mini daily vacation escapade time capsule. Like the S2000 designer said: "Take care of your S2000 and keep it forever." Hope you understand it will be very hard to find another roadster as beautifully engineered as this!! It will be a high 'regret' once it's gone. =))

And...these two awesome videos makes me really appreciate my S2000 even more. I still remember the first day I've picked my S2000, I was like a kid at a candy store.

[media]http://vimeo.com/76291399[/media]
[media]http://vimeo.com/80349784[/media]
Old 06-21-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my '01 Silverstone/Red for 13 (!) years, from brand new. In 2014 I got unrelenting hots for a Mustang, specifically a '12 or '13 Boss 302. I have had several Mustangs, and I LOVE V-8s. So a Boss was too much money, forcing me to "settle" for a yellow '04 SVT Cobra convertible. After a year of mechanical issues, silly mods, and a VERY unhappy wife, I sold it. Now I have returned to the fold with an '05 NFR S2000. So find a way to keep yours....I know that may not be feasible but try. Don't risk S2000 remorse. Oh, and Craigslist totally sucks, IMO. I have never had more flakes respond to my ads. Not worth the hassle.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Had mine for almost 5 years now...really don't see a scenario where I would sell the car. There's just no other car like it and it brings a smile to me every time I take it out for a drive. I would just keep it no matter what if I were you. When there is a will, there is a way.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You've sold your 01 after being the original owner? I would go hunt that car down and buy it back. These cars are beyond special, there are very few cars you can really have a emotional connection with and it takes a true enthusiast to really appreciate it and have that connection. So many people buy this car for the wrong reasons, hella fail(flush) people or folks who want to drag race them.....they were built with one thing in mind and its neither of the ones I just mentioned
Old 06-21-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only owned mine for 3 years but I've wanted it since I was 10 and first heard of being a concept and then finally sitting in 1 at an auto show back in 1999/2000 and knew I'd own one someday. I know I'll never sell this, and even looking at moving out to the east bay, but will be keeping the S at my parents house while I take bart to work every morning.

Why not put the Fit outside and keep the S in the garage?
Old 06-22-2016, 12:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by friskodisko
but I just got married and we have no space for the car.

There is always space for an s2000. People will use marriage as an excuse to have to change parts of their lives; I've vowed to myself to never let marriage or a gf get between things that truly make me happy(the s2000 being one of them). I have no garage and am juggling 2 cars right now, and I'll admit, its definitely hard maintaining both, but its just one of the sacrifices that I am willing to put up with in order to own an s2000 as a weekend car.

The only way I can see myself getting rid of the s2000 is if I get into a financial crisis, or if I am put into a position where I can no longer keep it in good enough shape myself. Or if I got something really crazy like the new NSX or a GTR/911 turbo lol. anywho, hope you change your mind soon before its too late! Don't let no woman or babies get in the way! make room and time for both
Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep. It.

Quick Reply: How sad do you get if you have to sell your S2000?