S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

OBDII - wifi vs bluetooth

Old 06-24-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBDII - wifi vs bluetooth

i have an Android phone (galaxy s5) and i want to be able to use my bluetooth for my stereo or a wireless headset, but i also want to be able to have live gauge readings from my OBDII, I cant figure out if i can run them both at the same time or if wifi OBDII are only for iphones.
suggestions for which one to get also helpful, Thanks!
Old 06-25-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazykoreankid
i have an Android phone (galaxy s5) and i want to be able to use my bluetooth for my stereo or a wireless headset, but i also want to be able to have live gauge readings from my OBDII, I cant figure out if i can run them both at the same time or if wifi OBDII are only for iphones.
I dont have android but from my understanding is that bluetooth is faster at refreshing. For iPhone I think our only option is wifi, it works but it's slow on the refresh rate.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:50 AM

Went to auto zone. The guys said, for example, that older versions of 2015 ford radios can NOT run wifi & bluetooth simultaneously. BUT the NEWER versions of 2015 ford radios CAN run them both simultaneously. Has anyone tried, heard, or seen evidence of being able to run both wifi obd2 and another bluetooth device simultaneously? If so, which wifi obd2 did you buy, see, or hear from?
Old 06-25-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bluetooth is the way to go. This piece is very reliable: http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

What Sensors are you planning to monitor while driving? I can't see anyone turning on their phone 100% of the time to display gauges.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH
Bluetooth is the way to go. This piece is very reliable: http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

What Sensors are you planning to monitor while driving? I can't see anyone turning on their phone 100% of the time to display gauges.
I want to mostly see temp guages. And I want to run both simultaneously. Still no confirmation on whether or not it's possible :/
Old 06-27-2016, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by liquidtek
Originally Posted by Krazykoreankid' timestamp='1466808984' post='24001824
I dont have android but from my understanding is that bluetooth is faster at refreshing. For iPhone I think our only option is wifi, it works but it's slow on the refresh rate.
I'll use this info in my considerations. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes you can pair more than 1 bluetooth device on your android. If you have a very old phone and want to be certain, just google it and see what the android forums come up. A quick search on the Galaxy S5 shows you can pair multiple devices no problem.

I've personally paired two devices on my old HTC (GPS receiver and OBD dongle).

Rather than monitoring on your phone, you should get a dedicated gauge. A check alternative is the eScangauge. It'll display any two OBD parameters in a digital output. I used it to monitor my IAT and coolant temps.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugee/
Old 06-27-2016, 06:19 AM

Yes you can pair more than 1 bluetooth device on your android. If you have a very old phone and want to be certain, just google it and see what the android forums come up. A quick search on the Galaxy S5 shows you can pair multiple devices no problem.

I've personally paired two devices on my old HTC (GPS receiver and OBD dongle).

Rather than monitoring on your phone, you should get a dedicated gauge. A check alternative is the eScangauge. It'll display any two OBD parameters in a digital output. I used it to monitor my IAT and coolant temps.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugee/
Thanks for this info! I guess I just have never had any luck pairing more than one bluetooth device at a time with my phones so I assumed it couldn't be done. Thank you for your assistance in this matter, I'll do some research and see what I'm doing wrong.
Much appreciated!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, you can absolutely pair both a bluetooth ODBII dongle and a bluetooth stereo at the same time.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:13 PM

i checked out the product on the link you provided. looks pretty damn good. can anyone else vouch for this or provide any additional recommendations?

Quick Reply: OBDII - wifi vs bluetooth