UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Good MOT testers

Old 07-11-2016, 04:32 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Good MOT testers

Hi all.

As above really, recently moved to the area and looking for a trustworthy, decent garage.

Many thanks in advance

Dan
Old 07-11-2016, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why?

The MoT is a statutory check - you'll get the same answer wherever you go
Old 07-11-2016, 05:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If there's a failure resulting in bit of work that needs doing to get it through, you might rather it already be in trusted hands?
Old 07-11-2016, 05:34 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Or does this mean a special (wink, nudge) MOT?

-- Chuck
Old 07-11-2016, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all MOT stations/testers are the same.

Accord passed the last 3 years test with a crack across the windscreen bottom left corner. Same garage but different tester, failed it this year - down to his opinion apparently
Sons Type R failed one garage due to excessive noise but passed in another - again down to opinion of what excessive noise is.
My S2000 passed even though I forgot to put the headlight washer fuse back in. Was told it should have failed because if it's there, it must work.

The problem is that are open to interpretation.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a really unbiased MOT by someone who has no vested interest in your car failing (ie they don't do remedial work) take it to either your local council MOT test station or local bus company MOT depot.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Its worth giving some of the Honda dealers a call. e.g. Yeomans Guildford or Redhill Honda. They have until recently been offering free MOTs and healthchecks.
Might be if you have a service at the same time so dont quote me on this one.

I dont subsribe to this belief that Honda will find something wrong just to get more work out of you. We've had nothing but Honda cars for the last 10 years and MOT'd them all at Guildford and Redhill and never had one fail.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by andy2000
Its worth giving some of the Honda dealers a call. e.g. Yeomans Guildford or Redhill Honda. They have until recently been offering free MOTs and healthchecks.
Might be if you have a service at the same time so dont quote me on this one.

I dont subsribe to this belief that Honda will find something wrong just to get more work out of you. We've had nothing but Honda cars for the last 10 years and MOT'd them all at Guildford and Redhill and never had one fail.
you get a discounted MOT if they service the car

I had a reduced Honda 12 (essentially an oil/filter change) and MoT for £134 (split £99 & £35) - the Honda 12 is effectively a pre-MOT check.....
Old 07-11-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-Phil
Not all MOT stations/testers are the same.

Accord passed the last 3 years test with a crack across the windscreen bottom left corner. Same garage but different tester, failed it this year - down to his opinion apparently
Sons Type R failed one garage due to excessive noise but passed in another - again down to opinion of what excessive noise is.
My S2000 passed even though I forgot to put the headlight washer fuse back in. Was told it should have failed because if it's there, it must work.

The problem is that are open to interpretation.
true

I've known some testers fail if the Sat Nav is mounted in the wiper sweep area......
Old 07-12-2016, 02:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using various places in guildford for the past 10 years. I've gone for the cheapest 'special offer' and never had a failure although i do a ridiculously low mileage. The only real problem was a couple of years ago when Trade Tyres refused to honour the price they'd agreed on the phone. Last year i used KwikFit and no issues. If you want a guaranteed unbiased test, the council have a depot in the Woking Road http://www.guildford.gov.uk/mot, but i imagine that will be the full price, whatever that is these days.

Quick Reply: Good MOT testers