Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Rear S2000 OEM Brake Pads on AP2

Old 07-13-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear S2000 OEM Brake Pads on AP2

Hi sorry for the quick post as it isn't really thought out, but I'm trying to find out if the part number for the OEM rear brake pads has changed, yet is the same exact part, or if something else is going on.

The correct part number, as listed from Majestic Honda is 43022-S2A-000, but the local dealership is telling me that number has changed to 43022-S2A-010.

And while normally I'd just trust them and go with it, I'm a little more particular about the S2000 and want the correct brake pad on the car, regardless if it "fits".
I'd prefer not to run a part designed for another car, especially when it comes to brakes! (there might be a couple exceptions, but few and far between).

When I called the Honda dealership of Kirkland they said the part number has changed to 43022-S2A-010.
Last time I trusted someone without doing my own research it led me to having pads for a Civic up front..which I'd rather not run on the S2000!

If I can't get my hands on AP2 OEM S2000 Honda rear brake pads (also same as ap1 rear brake pads I believe), I'd probably just go with stoptech street pads, except that I have ap1 OEM front pads already that are relatively new.

Also the car is at the shop, and because I'm providing the rotors, also have to provide the brake pads.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just do them all brand new if you're already swapping out rotors?
Old 07-13-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by sse2k
Why not just do them all brand new if you're already swapping out rotors?
Because the car is at the shop. And I'd do the work myself, but I've never done brakes or suspension, at least without lots of help.

In any case, I'm calling tirerack and am going to get stoptech street pads for the rear. If it's really that much of a problem having OEM pads remain up front, I'll have them swapped out another time when I have a friend help me with the work, or figure out myself so I don't spend ~$500.

If it turns out it needs new refurbished calipers, I'm expecting another ~$500.

Initially I thought the noise was caused by bad rear calipers, but the shop is still uncertain on that and wants to replace the rotors and pads, adjust the shields, and see if that stops the noise that has been bothering me bad enough not to want to drive the car much. It isn't just the typical super high pitched squeal that is heard when the pads are worn, and in fact both the fronts and rears have 1/2 or more of life left, though at least the rears show signs of uneven wear. The uneven wear is caused by a mark on the rotors, but the mark on the rotors seems to be getting worse as I drive the car more and that's why I thought the calipers were sticking, causing marks on the rotors and uneven wear on the pads.

This shop I speak of is reputable and even has at least another S2000 there, so I do trust what they tell me. My guess is still that the noise is caused by the rear caliper sticking, or going bad in some way, but since I'm not really mechanically inclined as they are, chances are..and I'm hoping..I'm wrong and the calipers are both fine. I wasn't able to get around to the test to see if they clamp and release as they should which I've never done and was hoping the shop could do. But in any case at this point it sounds I at least need new brake pads and rotors in the rear, so might as well start with that. It would be another $500 to do the fronts, yet they don't really need to be done as bad. No odd noises are coming from the front brakes, no squeaking, and the pads and rotors still appear to have life left.

The reason I ordered the parts myself is that I was given the option, and the markup would have been nearly double. Also the shop would have just gone with the new part number, whereas I want S2000 only pads on my S2000..as ridiculous as I sound I know haha.

Maybe I still have some learning to do, but from what I found a couple years ago they stopped producing the AP1 front pads altogether and were giving away a lesser Civic SI/ RSX Type S pad. At that point I prefer to switch to an aftermarket. It seems the correct part number for the rears can't be ordered or carried by the local Honda dealerships as well, though I see the correct part number is still listed on Majestic Honda, I don't have the luxury of waiting a full week or more.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:15 PM

Basically, I'm just paranoid of running a Civic pad (or anything else Honda short of an S2000 or NSX) on my S2000. I probably sound like an S2000 snob.

So to remedy I'm purchasing stoptech street pads, which I've heard dust very little, yet bite/stop as hard or harder than the OEM pads do. They're also cheaper.

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about or why the concern, see post number 17 in:

https://www.s2ki.com/...ap1-brake-pads/