S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

New Mid-Life Toy

Old 07-19-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default New Mid-Life Toy

I bought the S2000 when I was 41. Being that I fully intend to live beyond 82, and it was just another in a string of sports cars. I did not consider it to be a Mid-Life thing.

Now that I'm 54, and the new car is truly a toy, I guess I can call this a Mid-Life thing.

I purchased it sight unseen from Ebay 2 weeks ago:

It is a Lotus 7 based kit car called an MNR Vortx RT. It was built a few years ago and had already been through the New York state title process and has been on the road for a few summers. That was a major selling point, as well as the fact that it was only a 1/2 hour from my house. Found out when I picked it up that the builder/owner works with my wife!

It is powered by a Yamaha R1 sport bike motor. Has sequential paddle shifting, inboard coil over suspension in the front and an independent rear set up. 180 hp in an 1100 lb package!

My intention is to keep the S2000 for autocross and trips. This car will be for cars and coffee/cruise nights, trips to Watkins Glen for the races, and back road fun. I have 3 SCCA buddies with kit cars, so we are anticipating some dinner or ice cream runs on occasion with our wives.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:15 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Wipe that smile off your face, Mister!

Looks like fun. Enjoy.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I bought the S2000 when I was 41. Being that I fully intend to live beyond 82, and it was just another in a string of sports cars. I did not consider it to be a Mid-Life thing.

Now that I'm 54, and the new car is truly a toy, I guess I can call this a Mid-Life thing.

I purchased it sight unseen from Ebay 2 weeks ago:

It is a Lotus 7 based kit car called an MNR Vortx RT. It was built a few years ago and had already been through the New York state title process and has been on the road for a few summers. That was a major selling point, as well as the fact that it was only a 1/2 hour from my house. Found out when I picked it up that the builder/owner works with my wife!

It is powered by a Yamaha R1 sport bike motor. Has sequential paddle shifting, inboard coil over suspension in the front and an independent rear set up. 180 hp in an 1100 lb package!

My intention is to keep the S2000 for autocross and trips. This car will be for cars and coffee/cruise nights, trips to Watkins Glen for the races, and back road fun. I have 3 SCCA buddies with kit cars, so we are anticipating some dinner or ice cream runs on occasion with our wives.
Cool ride. Ice cream runs should be fun.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 4,949 Likes on 3,002 Posts

I can't wait to hear a full report after you log a few hundred miles.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:46 PM

I'm taking baby steps right now. Short trips around the block, getting used to it and learning to trust it for longer rides. Just fixed an issue with the steering that should boost my confidence. The steering shaft was moving back and forth an inch or so and there was slop in the steering. Found a loose joint that fixed both issues when I tightened it.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:07 PM

Took the day off today so I could get the NYS inspection done and get to know the car a little better. There was only one minor hitch that I was aware of going in. The NYS DMV system doesn't recognize a car this light. A quick call to the DMV for a weight over ride code for the inspection computer and I got my sticker!

Drove it down to a favorite burger joint by Lake Ontario and ate outside admiring the car. Had a nice conversation with an ex-military test pilot who has built several small planes and has been considering building a kit car. He flies sail planes and belongs to the same club my Dad flew with in the 60s. He didn't know my Dad, but they have several common friends from the club.

Put about 60 miles on the car. Came home and tinkered some, fixing small issues that I found. Nice way to spend a day. Can't wait to retire!
Old 07-20-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Check into whether the Caterham's front fenders will fit on your car, they would look better and allow more tire to fender clearance. Might not seem important till a rock larger than the available clearance gets jammed between the two.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks fun. Great color for a "toy" as well.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Congratulations on your new toy. It does look like it is a lot of fun.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:56 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Awesome! What does that thing turn? 1.5G's?

The front reminds me of updated Frogeye Sprite. If it were my car, I'd name it Kermit.

Quick Reply: New Mid-Life Toy