UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Warm on track

Old 07-21-2016, 04:32 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Warm on track

I had a track day last weekend only a half hour stint at rockingham (mimms show) car preformed well on track and the drive back home from the track hour and half drive back,

straight after the track session i opend my bonnet and the expansion tank linked to the rad was literally full and blowing out through the expantion tank cap, this is the first i have had this is it something to worry about or just the hard driving on track caused this.

i dont have any water or oil temp guages so i dont know what the the went up to, the standard temp guage on the dash stayed at 3 bars which is standard while driving (prefacelift guages)

i run the oem rad, would changing this out for an ally rad help and getting an aftermarket expantion tank with a better sealed cap ?
Old 07-21-2016, 04:34 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

You may have a head gasket leak, I'm afraid. Track driving with a normally working cooling system won't do this.

Has the level returned to the "Max" bar on the tank now (check when engine has been off overnight?

See my thread from last year: https://www.s2ki.com/...olant-problems/
Old 07-21-2016, 04:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's
I had a track day last weekend only a half hour stint at rockingham (mimms show) car preformed well on track and the drive back home from the track hour and half drive back,

straight after the track session i opend my bonnet and the expansion tank linked to the rad was literally full and blowing out through the expantion tank cap, this is the first i have had this is it something to worry about or just the hard driving on track caused this.

i dont have any water or oil temp guages so i dont know what the the went up to, the standard temp guage on the dash stayed at 3 bars which is standard while driving (prefacelift guages)

i run the oem rad, would changing this out for an ally rad help and getting an aftermarket expantion tank with a better sealed cap ?
First thing to try is to fit a new radiator expansion cap. If the spring has weakened it won't be able to hold the pressure when the engine's that bit hotter.

However, i said the same thing to Lovegroova and unfortunately it turned out to be head gasket failure.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:48 AM

yes i did check the expantion tank 2 days later and it has gone back down to normal level and stayed there not got any lower

there is a HKS 127K/Pa radiator cap

it has been fine before and after the track session its just playing on my mind why it would have done this

i will have a read on your thread LG

just had a quick skim read LG, i had my obd2 and torque app with me also but totaly forgot about it until i just read your thread
Old 07-21-2016, 04:50 AM
UK Moderator

yes i did check the expantion tank 2 days later and it has gone back down to normal level

there is a HKS 127K/Pa radiator cap

it has been fine before and after the track session its just playing on my mind why it would have done this

i will have a read on your thread LG
Mostly, get the coolant gas tested ASAP.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:53 AM

Old 07-21-2016, 11:00 PM

Took it out last night for a good spirited run on the torque app the coolant was sitting around the 95 96 degrees when pushed it would rise to 98 101 and a very high speed run took it to 105 degrees but it soon came back down and no spillage from the expansion tank, the level stayed the same as I checked it this morning.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:11 AM
UK Moderator

Took it out last night for a good spirited run on the torque app the coolant was sitting around the 95 96 degrees when pushed it would rise to 98 101 and a very high speed run took it to 105 degrees but it soon came back down and no spillage from the expansion tank, the level stayed the same as I checked it this morning.
I'd still get it checked. Mine displayed the same behaviour as yours for a while, and then suddenly everything got really hot/overheated.

Any local garage will be able to do this for you, and it'll cost a tiny amount. Trust me, it's worth it.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Good plan.

I cannot state that overheating can contribute to ring pickup/bearing scoring categorically, but anything then minimises the risk to the lump is a sound precaution.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something is wrong then if you're getting those temps and not in traffic.

How is your radiator looking?

Quick Reply: Warm on track