Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Any place to get the "UK" exhaust mod done?

Old 07-22-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any place to get the "UK" exhaust mod done?

Anyone have any luck finding a good shop to do the uk exhaust mod, waiting to hear back from 1 and another one declined to do the work
Old 07-22-2016, 01:51 PM

other shop quoted me $180
Old 07-22-2016, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you located? $180 seems ridiculous. I've had an entire 3 inch exhaust fabricated for $200.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by humbucker87
Where are you located? $180 seems ridiculous. I've had an entire 3 inch exhaust fabricated for $200.
Im right over in charlotte, called a place named Romos for the $180 and Meineke are the ones who said they wouldnt do it at all
Old 07-23-2016, 07:10 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

This "mod" is highly variable depending on the pipe diameter you choose and if you choose wrong changing or removing it requires even more effort. Since I have no welding skills that's why I didn't mess with it.

Just put a good aftermarket exhaust on the car. Yeah it's more expensive but if you guess wrong, like I did, the remedy is simple: put a different exhaust on the car. My failure was the Invidia Q300 which was painfully loud (as your UK mod could easily be). Swapped in about half an hour for the Tanabe Medalion Touring. Yep, more expensive but it works.

-- Chuck
Old 07-23-2016, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
This "mod" is highly variable depending on the pipe diameter you choose and if you choose wrong changing or removing it requires even more effort. Since I have no welding skills that's why I didn't mess with it.

Just put a good aftermarket exhaust on the car. Yeah it's more expensive but if you guess wrong, like I did, the remedy is simple: put a different exhaust on the car. My failure was the Invidia Q300 which was painfully loud (as your UK mod could easily be). Swapped in about half an hour for the Tanabe Medalion Touring. Yep, more expensive but it works.

-- Chuck
I'd love to have a Q300 but dont wanna pay $600 for one when i could pay 60-90 for a good sound. If i keep the car itll be getting s/c full piping etc...so im just looking to do something small to enhance the sound, before putting a lot of money in it before deciding if i want to keep it or not.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 AM

Just pointing out the permanence of the UK mod. Unless you can weld it costs money to fit it, money to change, and money to get it off the car if you don't like it. I would consider this mod a major negative factor if I was buying the car. I = Me. We're all slightly different.

I strongly recommend never fitting the Q300 exhaust unless the driver and passenger wear hearing protection all the time. Or unless you're still in high school.

The K&N FIPK air induction system adds a bit of power and nice sound at WOT. I did this the first week (OEM parts in the attic.) Easy on, easy off, easy sell (or buy used). I'd fit one of these used long before cobbling the exhaust with welded bypass pipes.

-- Chuck
Old 07-23-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Just pointing out the permanence of the UK mod. Unless you can weld it costs money to fit it, money to change, and money to get it off the car if you don't like it. I would consider this mod a major negative factor if I was buying the car. I = Me. We're all slightly different.

I strongly recommend never fitting the Q300 exhaust unless the driver and passenger wear hearing protection all the time. Or unless you're still in high school.

The K&N FIPK air induction system adds a bit of power and nice sound at WOT. I did this the first week (OEM parts in the attic.) Easy on, easy off, easy sell (or buy used). I'd fit one of these used long before cobbling the exhaust with welded bypass pipes.

-- Chuck
The Q300 isnt even that loud, my previous car was a fully bolted and built wrx. N1 exhaust with 44mm EWG, i loved it. I enjoy the loud exhausts, if i wanted something to be quiet i would've bought a sonata. Plenty of forums with people getting it done for under $100 compared to a $700+ exhaust and plenty of people selling OEM exhausts for under $100, fact is i want it louder while i keep it stock, itll get full piping when/if it gets supercharged and i decide to keep it.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:27 PM

I'm really just pointing out how permanent the so-called UK exhaust by-pass really is. Requires a welding shop or skills and equipment and there's no guarantee you'll like it or even be able to tolerate it . Because it requires welding it's difficult to find the sound level you want/tolerate.

My routine disclaimer for anyone considering any change to their exhaust is to hear that exhaust from inside the car over a period of many minutes. Internet video sound levels get clipped by the mics and the speakers on our systems couldn't reproduce it anyway.

The Q300 isnt even that loud,
That comment is one of the unfortunate comments I read several times for months before I wasted several hundred dollars on the Invidia Q300 exhaust. As did a buddy. The noise and especially the drone in the 3000-4000 rpm range quickly proved unbearable. In the interest of full disclosure the exhaust was behind a Berk 63.5mm high flow cat. But, yeah, it was THAT loud. Everyone's noise tolerance is different. After about a month I had to get the Q300 off the car or risk the anger of my neighbors and my own hearing. I suspect many of the "it's not that loud" comments came from guys who didn't want to admit the exhaust on their was a mistake or can't afford the monetary loss involved in selling a use exhaust and are just living with it. It is no doubt acceptable to others. I can't imagine how loud the Invidia N1 exhaust might be, the Q300 measured in the vicinity of 105dBA on a noise meter. If your employer subjected you to this noise level you'd be required to wear hearing protection and have an annual hearing test.

-- Chuck

Old 08-12-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine done by David Coffey (Coffey Can Fix It) 11252 lawyers Road Mint Hill | North Carolina 28227 Call 704.258.2437
I took the system off and carried to him. Absolutely the best $100 I've spent on the car. No drone.

Quick Reply: Any place to get the "UK" exhaust mod done?