UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The Joy of Cycling

Old 07-25-2016, 04:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The Joy of Cycling

Using the car so little means less money on petrol and no traffic jams, but has also brought a few problems. I took off the front wheel to investigate whether i needed to take it in for the slow-deflating tyre to be reseated yet again and found a lot of seriously deep corrosion in several places on the disk. Strangely, the other side and the rears are pretty good.

So... i'm going to need to do both fronts, but does one buy new disks or get the old ones skimmed? If the latter, any recommendations - preferably near to guildford? If i need to buy new, where should i go for them and new pads? Any tips for mitigating these problems in future?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:28 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I really liked the idea of getting discs skimmed but tbh when you're paying £30 per disc new is it worth it ( or a bit more to get the nice corrosion-protected MTEC ones ) If I could get Meyle Platinums in S2000 fitting I would - they come zinc coated and stay shiny on the edges.

I did think about one of those "skimming on the car" services but could only do the front as I'm pretty sure driving the rear diff from one wheel must be bad for it.

If you have a local friendly machinist that will do it for a few beers then why not ?

Pads, I've gone from OEM to Project Mu (NS400? - the road pads they do anyway) and loving that I don't end up with black dusty wheels after a few miles.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

Discs are cheap. I would be looking for the cause though. Extend the caliper piston out and clean it, assess the condition. If rusty replace.

Having said that the rears on my M3 corroded and it was just lack of use. I cleaned everything and no corrosion.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the replies and the advice.

BenRNBP - are the MTEC better than the Pagid? (Carparts4less do the pagids £16 cheaper.) Which of the drilled/grooved/hooked options would you recommend for everyday - if not every day - driving? Is the extra £14 for the protective coating worth it? I like the sound of it because the car is often parked up for days or even a couple of weeks in all weathers and the discs get extremely rusty. But if it's just a coating, doesn't it burn off the first time you brake hard?

I also like the idea of clean wheels but Project Mu look a bit OTT for average road use. The mintek and MTEC pads from the MTEC site look to be a good price, especially if bundled with the discs.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:00 PM

I ended up not getting the MTECs as I just wanted plain discs (none of this hooked/grooved/drilled business for me) - the coating obviously rubs off on the braking surfaces but remains where the pads don't touch so just looks much better for longer IMO. I think those Pagid ones come with a Zinc coating too but at £54 each a tad pricey?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:10 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Tips for mitigating these problems:
  1. Drive it
  2. Keep it out of the rain if possible

(More seriously, there's nothing wrong with the Honda items, really, if you wanted to go that way, approx £57 each from Cox Motor Parts)
Old 07-26-2016, 08:07 AM

I took the Pagid prices to be for a pair, but they are each, so the mtec ones are actually much cheaper at only £70 pair. So i'm tempted to get discs and pads from there. Are the grooved discs the most robust for road use? I'm really not too fussed about losing a few grams - i save that anal nonsense for my bicycle :-)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

For road use plain old oe type discs should be enough, unless you have big power engine mods of course, I'd check my local factors for prices too, decent stuff doesn't need to be expensive.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:27 PM

The only plain old discs i can find that are actually cheaper than the mtec are from buycarparts and are sold as 'japanparts'. They work out about £55 delivered. But while i don't need anything premium, i'm conscious that it's a critical part and don't want to skimp. I tried my local factor, but they were £110 (mintex).
Old 07-26-2016, 10:52 PM

Yeah, I had to read that carparts4less Pagid price a few times as I was expecting it to be a pair too. The MTEC choice looks OK to me - although I think I'd probably end up with something else - I did notice Blueprint ones p/n ADH24359 for under £50 a pair on eBay. I only ended up with non-OEM pads as I went to by Honda from Si@Hendy and came away with Project Mu

Also, you'll probably find some resistance on the piston pushing it back all the way in to fit the non-worn items so be prepared for a caliper + sliders service too - especially as it's been wearing only one side of the disc.

Quick Reply: The Joy of Cycling