UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brakes

Old 08-08-2016, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes

Looking to get new Discs and pads in the near future.
They will be for road use about 99% of the time with an odd track day or 'ring trip when i get round to it so I dont think I will need anything too extreme.

I have been looking at mtec drilled&grooved discs, has anyone used these before? there is a package on ebay for all the discs with brembo pads for £200 which looks tempting but I dont know much about mtec and also when reading into best pads for the s2000 no one has mentioned brembo's. Just wondering what you guys think, what brands to avoid and what do you use?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2016, 05:37 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by FreshDonny
They will be for road use about 99% of the time with an odd track day or 'ring trip when i get round to it so I dont think I will need anything too extreme.

I have been looking at mtec drilled&grooved discs, has anyone used these before? there is a package on ebay for all the discs with brembo pads for £200 which looks tempting but I dont know much about mtec and also when reading into best pads for the s2000 no one has mentioned brembo's. Just wondering what you guys think, what brands to avoid and what do you use?

Thanks
First, see the "Forum Favourites" sticky: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...rakes-tct-etc/ Hopefully it'll answer some of the obvious questions.

Quite a few people use the MTEC and there are a few recent threads on these, please use the search facility.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

i cracked 2 sets of MTEC's, after this i took the plunge and bought some AP floating discs...

This is obviously track biased.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FreshDonny

Thanks
I'm the same as you - pretty much road use only. I've had the following for approx. 3000 miles and so far it's perfect! (Aside from a frozen caliper or two....)

EBC YellowStuff Pads
MTEC Dimpled and Grooved Discs
ATE Type 200 DOT4 (Previously, Super Blue)

Bite is excellent and I've got total confidence with the stopping power! Bleed your clutch with the ATE fluid too, VERY beneficial for our cars apparently; give it a search.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Standard oem spec discs by Blueprint, NS400 pads by Project MU...they have been spot'on...
Old 08-08-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as above, do not bother with grooved/drilled discs, complete false economy.

blueprint/honda discs and some decent pads.

project mu, CL brakes rc5+/RC6, dixcel ES/Z, pagid RS29 pads will all be excellent. the type ES are in reality arent far of the Z type, they are also better than the ferodo ds2500's, and a lot cheaper, and wont eat your discs...
Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Proj Mu HC800 + copy dics, 4 trackdays in the last 3 months and they still have a little life left in them.
HC800 is overkill for road so the NS400 would probs be fine

Drilled and grooved are a waste of time and look shit on road cars, dont waste your money.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use dixcels, had them on my Dc2 and my previous s2000. I can hammer them between roundabouts all day and I've yet to get fade and never had any warping issues. I wouldn't use anything else.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I run boggo cheap discs from Eurocarparts and some OEM pads, they get hammered on track days along with sprint days and I haven't had any issues with them.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just be careful with the coatings... My first set welded to my front pads ... They where faulty and got replacements which seem fine. I advise ensuring the coating on fronts is completely gone. I did 20 mins on dual carriageway taking it off second time.

Quick Reply: Brakes