UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Silenced, resonated or straight though Test pipe/decats

Old 08-23-2016, 01:55 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Silenced, resonated or straight though Test pipe/decats

Hi all

Im after some experienced and knowledge on test pipes. I currently run the 75mm HKS Single with a 63mm resonated test pipe and will soon be going supercharged. Therefore i am wanting to swap out the 63mm test pipe for a larger diameter part so that it matches the HKS. Although i am currently happy with the noise of my setup i have read that the super charger will make the car louder so i was wondering what options i had while i am changing out the test pipe.

1) Straight through 75mm Test pipe
2) Resonated unit (Not sure what the difference in a resonator and silencer is)
3) Ask our friends over at Solid Fabrication to make me up a 75mm Silenced test pipe (They have confirmed they can do this)

Does anyone have any experience with having a silencer welded into the test pipe and will it be effective? i don't really want to waste the extra money on a silencer if it wont make any difference.

Or even better still is there an off the shelf part i can buy?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-23-2016, 06:31 AM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Not a Resonated unit, have read it messes with the frequency and back pressure..
Old 08-23-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Yes performance wise a resonated test pipe is probably as bad (maybe worse) than a HFC.
If you are worried about sound I suggest you fix it further down the stream where small restrictions cause much less troubles.
I'm not sure a 3" test pipe is the best choice either, stock collector is just over 2" (54,6mm) inside diameter so going for a stepped transition like you got now might not be that bad.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for straight through decat and fit a larger mid box, Or oval backboxes.

The length of the decat will mean a very small silencer and make little difference and probably increase drone.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:38 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks guys

As I've previously said i'm not that bothered about the sound level as i love how it is now; but as im going SC i thought maybe reducing the noise may be a good idea if it was possible. 2 birds one stone bla bla bla.

Ill go with a straight through design as it seems the easiest and most cost effective.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
Thanks guys

As I've previously said i'm not that bothered about the sound level as i love how it is now; but as im going SC i thought maybe reducing the noise may be a good idea if it was possible. 2 birds one stone bla bla bla.

Ill go with a straight through design as it seems the easiest and most cost effective.
Hey mate I have a supercharged AP1 and am gunning for a high performance exhaust with a great tone. Before that though I want to install an Invidia test pipe but not sure if the 63mm or 70mm will do my setup the most justice nor how each one sounds. Any advice? How is the tone of your 63mm test pipe?

By the way, what charger are you aiming for?