S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

It's Tuesday Night

Old 08-23-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default It's Tuesday Night

Tonight is Tuesday night which means that Liz is working in the library and I have to come up with something for dinner for the two of us. If I cook we’ll both go to sleep hungry, so my only option is to order in. Last week was Chinese food so this week its Italian.

I haven’t had my S2000 out of the garage for the last 3 weeks. Aside from the fact that it’s been very rainy, I’ve been looking at cars and involved with lots and lots of other things, most of which I can’t remember right now. Somehow, the time just seems to slip away and there really is never enough time to enjoy my S. Anyway, tonight was the golden opportunity. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. A drive to the Italian restaurant to pick up dinner, what a great excuse for taking the S out of the garage.

Tonight was a beautiful night. The heat finally broke yesterday, and today the high was in the low 70s. After the sun went down the temperature fell a little and the humidity stayed low. The skies are clear and with the top down, you can see the stars. One of the few nice things about living in the suburbs is that on clear nights you can actually see the stars. You can never see them in the city, too much light pollution.

Anyway, at about a quarter after 8:00 I headed out. I try to time it so that I get home with dinner just a few minutes before Liz gets home from work. It usually doesn’t work out, but I really do try. Tonight’s order was two veal parms and one chicken parm (my son Andrew decided to eat with us). They usually take about 20 minutes to cook so I figured I was right on schedule.

The S started right up, as I expected it would. I slowly backed it out of the garage and took the top down. Up the driveway and I was on my way. I’d forgotten how very much fun it is to drive the S. All of a sudden I was going through the gears, whipping around corners and just having a grand time. For me, all of the fun is in the gear box and the handling. That’s why I’m having such a hard time finding a daily driver to replace my BMW. If Honda would make an S2000 with 4 doors and 4 seats I’d buy one tomorrow. I suppose I’m going to have to wait for the Si.

Back to the drive. In about 10 minutes I arrived at the restaurant ordered the meals and stood by the door so I could keep an eye on my S. Even though I parked at the far end of the parking lot, you can never be too careful. 15 minutes later dinner was ready. I miscalculated, I’d be home about 10 minutes before Liz. Oh well, an excuse to drive a little further. So I did.

With all of that, I got home about 10 minutes too early. I put the S to sleep and brought dinner up to the kitchen.

You know, my S2000 is 14 years old. I’ve never owned a car that long and it still thrills me. It is just simply the most fun to drive car I’ve ever owned, even if the drive is only to the Italian restaurant to get dinner.

I think I hear Liz so I’ve got to go now. Time for dinner.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

For better or for worse I'm the designated cook in our household. A late night at work today so I also took our S2000 out for Italian carry out. A great stress reliever after a long day at the office
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

My DD is an old Odyssey that is in the shop right now. (older than my S by one year, and 100K miles.) The shop contacted me today to see if I wanted a part overnighted for an extra fee. I replied that i didn't want to sell my S to come up with the payment, so force me to drive it for another week straight. Now the part won't come in until Monday, next week. Oh, force me to drive the S. Just force me. They said OK. Ha Ha!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Great post Rob, and I experience similar realizations about my S2000 frequently. I guess I need to get it a new clutch because I plan to keep it a long time.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Rob, I enjoyed your post about "Tuesday night."

Glad to hear that you still enjoy your S so much.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Nice post...I'm planning to take mine out for a drive tomorrow. It's been in the garage too much.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Tonight is Tuesday night which means that Liz is working in the library and I have to come up with something for dinner for the two of us. If I cook we’ll both go to sleep hungry, so my only option is to order in. Last week was Chinese food so this week its Italian.

I haven’t had my S2000 out of the garage for the last 3 weeks. Aside from the fact that it’s been very rainy, I’ve been looking at cars and involved with lots and lots of other things, most of which I can’t remember right now. Somehow, the time just seems to slip away and there really is never enough time to enjoy my S. Anyway, tonight was the golden opportunity. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. A drive to the Italian restaurant to pick up dinner, what a great excuse for taking the S out of the garage.

Tonight was a beautiful night. The heat finally broke yesterday, and today the high was in the low 70s. After the sun went down the temperature fell a little and the humidity stayed low. The skies are clear and with the top down, you can see the stars. One of the few nice things about living in the suburbs is that on clear nights you can actually see the stars. You can never see them in the city, too much light pollution.

Anyway, at about a quarter after 8:00 I headed out. I try to time it so that I get home with dinner just a few minutes before Liz gets home from work. It usually doesn’t work out, but I really do try. Tonight’s order was two veal parms and one chicken parm (my son Andrew decided to eat with us). They usually take about 20 minutes to cook so I figured I was right on schedule.

The S started right up, as I expected it would. I slowly backed it out of the garage and took the top down. Up the driveway and I was on my way. I’d forgotten how very much fun it is to drive the S. All of a sudden I was going through the gears, whipping around corners and just having a grand time. For me, all of the fun is in the gear box and the handling. That’s why I’m having such a hard time finding a daily driver to replace my BMW. If Honda would make an S2000 with 4 doors and 4 seats I’d buy one tomorrow. I suppose I’m going to have to wait for the Si.

Back to the drive. In about 10 minutes I arrived at the restaurant ordered the meals and stood by the door so I could keep an eye on my S. Even though I parked at the far end of the parking lot, you can never be too careful. 15 minutes later dinner was ready. I miscalculated, I’d be home about 10 minutes before Liz. Oh well, an excuse to drive a little further. So I did.

With all of that, I got home about 10 minutes too early. I put the S to sleep and brought dinner up to the kitchen.

You know, my S2000 is 14 years old. I’ve never owned a car that long and it still thrills me. It is just simply the most fun to drive car I’ve ever owned, even if the drive is only to the Italian restaurant to get dinner.

I think I hear Liz so I’ve got to go now. Time for dinner.
Nice report! Rob, are you planning to get the four door Si?
Old 08-24-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I've always liked the 2 door version better, but Liz, being the practical lady that she is, wants me to buy the 4 door model. I'm hoping the 2 door comes out first and the 4 door is delayed for a few months. That will force my hand.

I still have other cars to look at as well, but I suspect I'm probably going to end up with the Si.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Rob, I don't know how you make a drive to pick up dinner interesting reading, but you do. Nice job.