UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Self Leveling Headlights stopped working.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Self Leveling Headlights stopped working.

Hi, I am in need of some help regarding the failure of my self leveling headlamps please.

Having driven the car after dark yesterday evening I realized my headlights were pointing very low. After returning home I have now noticed that the headlights do not go through the self leveling warm up procedure when the ignition is turned on. I can find nothing in the workshop manual about this. I have stripped, cleaned and reassembled the operating lever etc at the rear suspension with the sender unit.

HELP PLEASE!

Regards

Chris

My link
Old 09-01-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I have never seen my headlights move when i turn them on, just the bulb warm up so to speak... Mine point quite low but its at a comfortable low for me.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What self levelling procedure???
Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 AM

On my car when I switch the ignition on the headlights come on wiggle up and down and then go out again. Or at least they did. Its related to the self leveling
gizzmo that is attached to the rear left wishbone so when you add extra weight to the boot the headlights align themselves and point further down. The tie rod
is adjustable and connects to a sender unit. There you go. Maybe not all cars have them on? At the moment mine are pointing so low I have about 25ft illuminated
road in front of the car then blackness.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Chances are if the fuse on the pump is ok and your washer bottle is full (the headlamp pump stops pumping water before the windscreen washer pump as the water gets low in the tank) plus you can't hear the pump noise then check the electrical connection at the pump. If like mine all of the above failed then replace the pump.

My lights only come on when I switch them on not when I turn on the ignition. That sounds weird.
The self leveller on mine we replaced as it rattled like crazy on every small bump but all mine does is raise the beam slightly on activation of the light.
Now whether that is the lights just warming up I can't say.
No doubt someone more qualified will be along shortly to give you the answer
Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Thanks for that. I will be looking at the pump tomorrow. I can hear a relay click when I press the button but no water. No doubt I will
be cursing the time I get the thing fixed. I have soaked myself on a couple of occasions already. I might have a look at the headlight
while I am under the front wing also. I've checked every fuse in the car. Time for some head scratching.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:59 AM

Having posted before on this subject I have not connected with anyone who knows what I am on about so I was hoping
someone could possible help me out with a UK workshop Manual, or at least the section on the Auto leveling system which
was not fitted to cars imported into the US apparently.

Just to reiterate. On turning on the ignition switch my headlamps would come on the motors would move the beams up and
down and then go out. This has stopped happening and having inspected the sender device found the adjustment arm had
been bent. I have repaired this, cleaned and lubricated the joints and found the electrical unit to be rotating smoothly but
still not working as it did.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:26 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I really don't think the are meant to do that which might be why you're drawing a blank - if it passes an MOT and doesn't dazzle other road users when you're carrying three bags of cement in your boot, why worry ?
Old 09-16-2016, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my own one never done that and the other 3 that i have stripped never done it either when turning the ignition on, one was a 1999, 2000, 2002 and 2005.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:29 AM

I got caught out a couple of weeks ago when out for a blast around Northumbria. After stopping for a meal at a pub I was left driving home in the dark with my lights
pointing down to a few feet in front of the car. I have now adjusted them up so they are at the correct height but have not tested the leveling yet. I was hoping to restore
the car to its original state because of my obvious OCD problem. I will let you know if I get to the bottom of this. It may be a Honda reset job.

It was actually a nice touch seeing the headlights come on and wiggle when starting the car.

Quick Reply: Self Leveling Headlights stopped working.