UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bodywork repair advice

Old 09-02-2016, 03:16 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Bodywork repair advice

I'm having a few scratches and dents properly sorted out, some of these have been done previously by Chips Away and are not perfect. At the same time a few bits of surface rust to be dealt with on the windscreen surround. This necessistates the windscreen removal but I can do this through my insurer as the screen is full of stonechips anyway.

My dilema is that I have had two wildly differning quotes.

1. Just over £1000, proper coachworks with all the facilities. Internet presence with good reviews. Formal wrtitten quote on headed paper.
2. £400, on a country industrial estate. Not VAT registered. Verbal quote which I will ask for in writing. Just a wooden shack with a spray booth inside. But does come recommended (by another S2K owner). Says he has done several S2000s before. Guy in his 50s that's been doing bodywork repairs for all his life and has a lot of commercial contracts.

Should I follow my head or my wallet. ?
any thoughts on how I can protect myself if I do decide to go with option 2. ?

I'd really like to get my S looking good again as every time I look at it my eyes are drawn to the dents and scratches.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they change the screen I think they may CAT D it.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:25 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2000
Verbal quote which I will ask for in writing.

If the guy in the shed comes recommended and you have a chance to see some of his work I'd go with him. I have a similar guy, lock up based one man and his son, I asked him to do front end and doors. He ended up doing everything but the boot lid because "It looked better" no extra charge, so an almost full respray for a daftly cheap price. You won't get that from a big firm.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:42 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I had my bumper sprayed by a "one guy in an industrial unit" - absolutely perfect colour match and a really good finish. Came as a recommendation from a very-anal-about-his-cars friend. I think personal recommendations trump "quote on headed paper" especially as the bigger coachworks are normally on the insurance repairs gravy-train with little time for individual car enthusiasts.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:51 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks I think you're all saying what my gut feeling is. I guess most of these backstreet guys rely on word of mouth for business so its not in their interest to do a bad job. I did say to him I'd prefer it if he took his time and he said he'd do that anyway as it was "a beautiful car" and he'd take pride in doing it for me.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:55 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I think that's the trade-off, I'm always prepared to leave it with them for longer - the job takes as long as it takes.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Peoples opinions of quality varies,
looked at an S2000 the other month and was full of pin holes along the side ,
was not much of a standard !!
Member on here said it was good paint job
Old 09-02-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

Pay cheap pay twice. Budget roughly £200 a panel for a good job (its no guarantee) but extra prep will be extra cost

I had some work done on my S and after closer examination it wasnt perfect.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid £1800 for a front end respray (blended into the doors)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

£1800 for a front end seems a bit high to me when a reasonable price for a full inside an out job (not include engine bay) is around £2500-£3000, possibly more depending on paint (water based, pearls, xirallic etc) (£1500 or less can get you a cheap inside an out full respray in the wrong garage)

you pay a premium for a nice garage but get the same work, as long as he's a trusted garage and you make sure you get a receipt for the work done I'd be happy. This means if anything goes wrong you can go to court if you wish and as a sole trader his personal assets are at risk if he closes shop and cant pay you back for a shoddy job, so all the more reason for him to not make a mess of it.

Both large and small garages have been known for doing terrible work no matter what they charge, take a trip to the guy in the industrial estate and have a look at the cars he's working on, meet the guy first hand and see his work. Then make your decision, If you're still concerned go for the larger one.

Quick Reply: Bodywork repair advice