S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Bad Sturts?

Old 09-24-2016, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Sturts?

So i think its time to officially address this...

My car came with 98K on the clock

After purchasing it, i noticed when im going around turns, when i gas it, the car seems to turn or go deeper into the turn..and as i let off the gas, the car seems to go the other way...like a minor adjustment in angle or whatever..had to explain...another way to explain it, is it feels like the back end is trying to lift off when you gas it around a turn..

Someone i know who has owned many s2000s said the back end felt like it was "floating"

Final observation,

i can feel every tiny bump, crack, hole on the road..i can ride over a twig and probably feel that too...its a very harsh ride

So do you think the struts could've gone bad? its an Alabama car, previous 2 owners were supposedly older men. Car had been kept pretty clean, garaged and parts of it look almost mint..so im not sure what the struts would go bad..

im currently almost about to hit 104K

Someone on one of these facebook buy sell trade pages for s2k is selling ap2 struts with skunk2 lowering springs....i dont track the car, i really wanted the kw v3, but in the mean time, do you think buying the ap2 struts with skunk2 lowering springs be worth it? are the ap2 sturts softer without ap2 springs on the ap1??? i dont want to downgrade the pedigree of the ap1 though..will the skunk2 springs be closer to feel compared to the ap1 springs?

thank you for reading and replying to my questions!
Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

Check your tire pressure.

When letting off mid turn, you're feeling bump steer. This is a big reason people crash S2000's. So don't over commit to a turn. Differences in tire pressure from side to side will make it worse.

You may need shocks. 98K on originals. They could probably stand to be replaced.

Check your alignment also.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Check your tire pressure.

When letting off mid turn, you're feeling bump steer. This is a big reason people crash S2000's. So don't over commit to a turn. Differences in tire pressure from side to side will make it worse.

You may need shocks. 98K on originals. They could probably stand to be replaced.

Check your alignment also.
I need to take my car into a performance alignment shop...they said they could look at my struts for me.

Tire pressure has usually stayed consistent, they are very nice tires, conti extreme contact dws06
Old 09-24-2016, 05:12 PM

Received 1,305 Likes on 987 Posts

This car is very sensitive to tires, and alignment. Like mentioned, if rear pressures are off side to side, even a little, it causes spooky handling, weird stuff when applying, or letting off gas. Even at normal driving speeds. Likewise if tires are worn more on one side, or just when nearing end of life.

If alignment is off, this can also cause odd handling, much more than with other cars.

Its difficult to tell of shocks are bad by looking at them. If there isn't something obvious, like leaking seals, its not like the alignment shop can easily tell if they are bad. If an S2000 shock is bad enough to fail the bounce test, you got real problems. While shocks with that mileage my very well be on their way out, the symptoms you describe don't sound like bad shocks.