Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

R26R prices

Old 10-07-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default R26R prices

Having spent a few track miles in the old Migraine R26, and a pal with the R26R, I was idly checking prices on these out of curiosity this week.
I was surprised to say the least - most fetching over 19 large still.
There was a lot of debate on forum and in press about residuals for this oddball hatch in 2009.
But seems they were not far off the mark.

I'm actually thinking of a track toy, something cheap (<20k) and maybe I lose less on this than building one.
Other thought was (heart option) an 07 or so S2 111R elise.

Would you?
Steve
Old 10-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr
Having spent a few track miles in the old Migraine R26, and a pal with the R26R, I was idly checking prices on these out of curiosity this week.
I was surprised to say the least - most fetching over 19 large still.
There was a lot of debate on forum and in press about residuals for this oddball hatch in 2009.
But seems they were not far off the mark.

I'm actually thinking of a track toy, something cheap (<20k) and maybe I lose less on this than building one.
Other thought was (heart option) an 07 or so S2 111R elise.

Would you?
Steve
Not if I intended to drive it anywhere.

I can see no reason why that model should be any different from every other hot Renault built in its resistance to falling to pieces once the miles go on.

However, if it was going to used a a toy as you suggest, with no more than one or 2K miles a year, you should be absolutely fine.

Track use is obviously harder on a car than road use so I can't see why it wouldn't look and drive like any old hot Clio or Megane (rough and rattly) fairly quickly if you did much more than that.

Surely you could build a track day weapon out of something like a 172/182 Clio and have about £15K change?
Old 10-07-2016, 11:12 PM

Received 621 Likes on 543 Posts

depends on the amount of use i guess. Both of your ideas are likely to have good residuals unless Nicks' end of world scenario happens

i bought that 2nd S2 with a similar mindset and if i need to flog it it'll have to go back to stock i guess

i like the 182 idea, i think the trophy is the one with Ohlins setup and is supposed to be good, here's a very expensive one

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...no-108/6304058

here's a cheaper one

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...--2005/6288520

i would buy one of these but i'm not sure how tough the engines are. Obviously an Elise with the Toyota unit at least that bit won't break.

probably.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 621 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
i like the 182 idea, i think the trophy is the one with Ohlins setup and is supposed to be good, here's a very expensive one
Sacs apparently.. i'm ceasing internet shopping now
Old 10-07-2016, 11:49 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Lotus all the way Steve. Different level of fun, plus you've done Renault before.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:26 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with Mark; might as well compare a Toro Rosso with a Hyundai...
Old 10-08-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys.
Pete, fair comments as always, but I don't think the residuals on the R26R are buoyed from all being low mileage, they are not.
My thinking is I lose very little in a couple of years, a depreciation reversal is probably unrealistic but it is happening with some odd models - who knows

The older Clio modding idea is very much also being considered. A 197 apparently the best choice in terms of handling.
I have seen so many on track, all very quick even in average hands. So perhaps a little dull?

Mark, I still remember that 06 Exige S you ran (the black tuned one) and would have one in a heartbeat - if I had the money which I don't really, residuals are very good. And Im not sure its worth the premium over the Elise, but the heart shouts do it

I don't have a well equipped double garage any more as that resides with the ex wife, and maintenance has clipped my wings somewhat.
So this needs to be road legal and live outside (covered if necessary).
Although insurance is cheap this is a second policy so although I have some NCD on that now I think heavily modified road legal cars might be a bit daft at this point.

Any other ideas - is a 7 a bad idea?
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr
Thanks guys.
Pete, fair comments as always, but I don't think the residuals on the R26R are buoyed from all being low mileage, they are not.
My thinking is I lose very little in a couple of years, a depreciation reversal is probably unrealistic but it is happening with some odd models - who knows

The older Clio modding idea is very much also being considered. A 197 apparently the best choice in terms of handling.
I have seen so many on track, all very quick even in average hands. So perhaps a little dull?

Mark, I still remember that 06 Exige S you ran (the black tuned one) and would have one in a heartbeat - if I had the money which I don't really, residuals are very good. And Im not sure its worth the premium over the Elise, but the heart shouts do it

I don't have a well equipped double garage any more as that resides with the ex wife, and maintenance has clipped my wings somewhat.
So this needs to be road legal and live outside (covered if necessary).
Although insurance is cheap this is a second policy so although I have some NCD on that now I think heavily modified road legal cars might be a bit daft at this point.

Any other ideas - is a 7 a bad idea?
We are in a funny bubble but I'd rather have my money in a Lotus than a Renault.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:53 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

VX220? Pick 2.2s up for about 6-8k or 2.0 turbos for about 12k upwards

Demons on track.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually, a Seven is probably a very good idea.

They're tiny and basic enough to live under a cover (though the ally will need regular polishing so that it doesn't pit) and they make a Lotus look a bit like a Renault.

Plus there is one for every budget; Kent to Hayabusa...

Quick Reply: R26R prices