UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New tyres - hrorible handling

Old 10-11-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tyres - hrorible handling

Hello.

I had new rears fitted yesterday and the car now handles like a overweight marsh mellow. I've read some threads and not learnt much yet as they refer to modded cars or cheap tyres etc.

I previously had RE050 all round (not a's or MZ) and have now got Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 91Y on the rear (as recommended on the tyre thread). Previously my cars handling was good, direct steering with consistent feel and pin point accuracy. Now it is sh*t. When you steer quickly the car rolls about an echos the movement it's just made. On long fast corners its changes direction when you go over bumps/undulations which require considerable correction - rather worrying.

Tyre pressures are spot on (32PSI) because I just checked them with a gauge and the pump at the petrol station.
Anti roll bar links are OK - this was my initial suspicion.
Tyres are the right direction i think (no arrow but I've got rim protection and tread patterns match).
Manufacture dates are both 0816.

Any ideas or past experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 PM
UK Moderator

Received 299 Likes on 257 Posts

See KG CLE's comments in the tyre thread. He ended up getting Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/900...t__p__23927084
Old 10-11-2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
See KG CLE's comments in the tyre thread. He ended up getting Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.

https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__23927084
Or see my comments in the tyre thread, terrible tyres for the S those Asyms.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year I also put assys on the rear and re050s on the front. I found the rear does seem to wobble at speed with this combination of tyres which has frustrated me. there is a thread somewhere here... Grippy but soft sidewalls on the back and less grip stiff sidewalls at the front seems to be the issue.

I found it was better with higher pressure at the rear, but my fronts are getting close to the limit so hoping that assys all around solves the problem. Plenty of folk say good things about it.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:36 PM

I should confirm new assys at the rear with existing re050s on the front.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:49 PM

Gav I'm running re50s front and re050a rear too, I was unable to source the same re050s as the fronts so went for the next best thing. First couple of weeks I thought I had ruined the car, straight line was horrible the car felt unstable. I also felt like there was a delay at the front end when turning in, followed by a rolling sensation from the rear.

However as the rears bedded in the straight line stability returned and the car is beginning to feel more normal again. I have increased the tyre pressures a little and that seems to have removed the delay at the front end and sharpened the car back up.

I think the re050a is a better tyre overall, looking forward to fitting the fronts to match up. My advice is to stick with the new tyres OP they will get better.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:56 PM

The Goodyears have a much softer sidewall than the re050s so that's probably part of the issue, I've seen it recommended that you should get the XL versions but I'm not sure if that would make it any better.
I would also take another look at your tyre pressures, 32 is the cold pressure so if you've driven to the petrol station they need to be set higher to account for the increase in pressure during the journey. Try 35 -37 depending on how hot they are.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had exactly the same issue as you with this combination (see tyre thread for full info). Ended up switching to a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's which are excellent. The Asy 2's on the rear combined with the RE050's totally ruined the handling of my car and it became an unpredictable handful to drive. Others don' t seem to have issues with the Asy 2's, but I suspect that they have the same tyres all round which removes the inconsistency of sidewall strength from front to rear.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:36 PM
MrM

Phew, I was close to fitting some asymmetrical but opted for the Michelin PS4 in the end. Not put them on yet but sounds like I got lucky!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a full compliment of Michelin PS4's on mine about a year ago replacing the original RE050's and I can't speak highly enough about the PS4's. Read the reviews and you will find that they are the best compromise for handling (in both wet and dry) and wearability of the bunch. But don't rely upon them if the temps are approaching or below freezing. They really require temps of 60°F or above for optimum handling..

Quick Reply: New tyres - hrorible handling