UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Undersealing / Waxoyling

Old 10-19-2016, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undersealing / Waxoyling

So, after having the underside of my car described as 'a bit crusty' after it's MOT, I decided to get the car under-sealed. It is a 2002 with 70k on the clock, but it is my daily driver, but my commute to work is less than 2 miles.

After doing some research, and after my Dad using them for his Alfa Spider, I chose Silk Mill Garage in Lancaster. (About 1 mile from the hotel, for anyone who went to MegaMeet 13).

It cost £420 all in, but that included courtesy car, full steam clean and dry, clear Waxoyl first, followed by the black, inside the doors, boot lid, sills, front/rear wheel arches etc.

Julian advised he has been doing this for 28 years, and was happy to take pictures throughout for me to put on the forum here.

Undersealing / Waxoyling-ows4qaj.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-rwknqxe.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-p4tfkzw.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-vcobivz.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-dfzxxsn.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-wtnnsav.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-zwdvecl.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-53kqxft.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-xwc37hg.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-g3j4zz3.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-ho4jcnw.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-7t3ztlo.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-yplb0yx.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-9ncxr0q.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-wz0bley.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-gvohoze.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-rivh6xd.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-oqarku7.jpg
Undersealing / Waxoyling-67re72e.jpg
Old 10-19-2016, 04:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

am i being stupid, or did he drill HOLES IN YOUR CAR??? and did he also just spray everything under the car including all the bolts nuts bushings etc??
Old 10-19-2016, 05:04 AM

Yes, he did drill holes in my car, then bung them, to access areas where he other wise couldn't. For example, the front wheel arches you can get to through the indicator holes, but the rears don't have any access. That's probably the reason why they all rot there.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:18 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Did the can explode,,,get all that off your diff it will insulate the cooling fins
Old 10-19-2016, 05:24 AM

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sideshowgaz
I chose Silk Mill Garage in Lancaster.
Name:  images_zps071utkag.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  3.8 KB
Old 10-19-2016, 06:38 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Having had mine done by Doctor MX-5, I hope this bodes well:

We know where the MX5 is most vulnerable, enabling us to treat the right places. Many companies offer these kind of services but they often concentrate on the wrong areas and can actually cause more problems. They cover everything, particularly the places you can see but miss out the places that need protection. Most of these are in places you can't see.

Often people believe, mistakenly, that you should fill the sills with rust proofer. If you do that the drains become blocked and water remains inside the sill to rust from the inside. Also, the sill cavities are very intricate and can't be adequately protected by injection methods.

The original Mazda rust treatment is body underseal that with age starts to crack and craze. That might not sound important but it leads to pockets forming which fill with water and gradually allow the rust to get hold without the owner realising what's happening. We may remove some of this when treating your car to stop these pockets forming again.

Some parts of the MX5 can't be sprayed, they need to be hand painted to get the treatment in the right places.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sideshowgaz
Yes, he did drill holes in my car, then bung them, to access areas where he other wise couldn't. For example, the front wheel arches you can get to through the indicator holes, but the rears don't have any access. That's probably the reason why they all rot there.
i thought the only thing in the arch you need to access is the inner sill? and their is a bung for that inside the rear wheel arch, i have not seen a s2000 rot anywhere on the arch other than the the arch lip which i think you just need to rub down from inside the wheel well and treat with under seal, that is assuming it is not rotting already, and remove the bung for the sill and spray in their? seems a bit drastic to drill inside the door well, although i have never had a car under sealed before, if that was what £500 got me i think i would be a little disappointed.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like an explosion in a liquorice factory. Is that the result you expected?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

He's literally coated everything... what happens now when you want to work on the gearbox, take driveshafts out etc...

He should have masked the areas... piss poor if you ask me

Quick Reply: Undersealing / Waxoyling