Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

s2K Newbie

Old 10-19-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default s2K Newbie

Well, I went and pulled the trigger on a very Red 200 S2K. I have the first new car I ever bought, an 86 Mustang LX convertible which now has an EFI 351 Windsor, 7pt roll bar and Griggs suspension. I've been open tracking it since 1994 (42,000 miles on the engine, with at least half of that on track) and have developed a keen appreciation of the taillights of small, fast cars that blow by me in corners. I looked hard at Miatas and decided on the S2K. Here, in Lafayette, La., you don't see yourself coming and going in these and I enjoy that exclusivity. Bought the car at Carmax, Baton Rouge. A smooth experience. As soon as I got home from Baton Rouge, I checked the oil, which was about a quart low...when looking at the dipstick in bright sunlight...and topped it off. I also changed out the clutch fluid (siphon, fill, depress clutch x 30: 4 cycles), and siphoned out the brake fluid and topped it off (did that over 2 days). Today I received a Ballade TCT (easy to use website), Modifry straps, nylon pry tools and Raggtop conditioner...I'm on a roll. Over the next few weekends, will change diff and trans fluids, change sparkplugs (NGK) and bring it to a local shop for compression check and valve adjustment (0.011 exhaust as recommended by Billman) and replace the stock pads with Hawks (? suggestions appreciated). I will eventually use it for some HPDE and am looking at Lambert spindle mounted backing plates for brake cooling. Instead of ducting a la Robinette, I think I can mount ducts on the lower A arms and route it directly to the backing plate...it works on the Mustang. For now, I will keep the stock wheels and I think I can mount 225's on the front and 255's on the rear without needing a roll. I also plan on a Berk HFC, with the stock exhaust, and a Flashpro with a Gernby tune, if he is still doing this. Impressions: you wear this car, you don't drive it. If I hear that Italian suits fit this well, I'll have to buy at least one. This is absolutely the best driving car I've been in. So now I have a Stiletto to complement the Bludgeon of a Mustang. Is this a great country, or what?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Periodoc
Well, I went and pulled the trigger on a very Red 200 S2K. I have the first new car I ever bought, an 86 Mustang LX convertible which now has an EFI 351 Windsor, 7pt roll bar and Griggs suspension. I've been open tracking it since 1994 (42,000 miles on the engine, with at least half of that on track) and have developed a keen appreciation of the taillights of small, fast cars that blow by me in corners. I looked hard at Miatas and decided on the S2K. Here, in Lafayette, La., you don't see yourself coming and going in these and I enjoy that exclusivity. Bought the car at Carmax, Baton Rouge. A smooth experience. As soon as I got home from Baton Rouge, I checked the oil, which was about a quart low...when looking at the dipstick in bright sunlight...and topped it off. I also changed out the clutch fluid (siphon, fill, depress clutch x 30: 4 cycles), and siphoned out the brake fluid and topped it off (did that over 2 days). Today I received a Ballade TCT (easy to use website), Modifry straps, nylon pry tools and Raggtop conditioner...I'm on a roll. Over the next few weekends, will change diff and trans fluids, change sparkplugs (NGK) and bring it to a local shop for compression check and valve adjustment (0.011 exhaust as recommended by Billman) and replace the stock pads with Hawks (? suggestions appreciated). I will eventually use it for some HPDE and am looking at Lambert spindle mounted backing plates for brake cooling. Instead of ducting a la Robinette, I think I can mount ducts on the lower A arms and route it directly to the backing plate...it works on the Mustang. For now, I will keep the stock wheels and I think I can mount 225's on the front and 255's on the rear without needing a roll. I also plan on a Berk HFC, with the stock exhaust, and a Flashpro with a Gernby tune, if he is still doing this. Impressions: you wear this car, you don't drive it. If I hear that Italian suits fit this well, I'll have to buy at least one. This is absolutely the best driving car I've been in. So now I have a Stiletto to complement the Bludgeon of a Mustang. Is this a great country, or what?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:04 PM

My bad: 2007 S2K
Old 10-20-2016, 05:54 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Glad to hear you're happy with the new ride! I just got mine this summer and I'm also considering a flashpro with Gernby tune but not until next spring. If you get to it first I'd like to hear your impressions. Welcome!
Old 10-21-2016, 01:07 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Periodoc (10-26-2016)